• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paw Paw, WV (Whippin' Post) - Help Appreciated

ishkeener

Looking for a weekend destination within a reasonable distance of Lancaster, PA and this place really caught my eye.

Can anyone give me some insight/recommendations on this place? Do the owners allow primitive camping?

The owners do allow camping though I didn't stay over when I was there. $10 to play and I'm pretty sure that includes camping as well. They're awesome courses, The Woodshed is a little more open but has some very tight holes in the woods while Whippin Post plays more in the woods. Whippin Post is one of the best courses I have played.

I'd call the number on the course page to let them know when you are coming. I think they'll be happy to mow through the course for you ahead of time if they know you're coming. Just make sure to come prepared with food and drinks as there is not much around their area. The roads are a little rough to get to but nothing too crazy.

Used to be $5 per person per night to camp...

67672d02.jpg

Last edited:
Yo Ish,
Did you just move to the Lancaster Area?

Have you checked out Nockamixon S.P. , Jordan Creek, Tyler S.P. ?

Honestly, you could spend a weekend at Nockamixon sleeping in your car and be thankful to be there playing such an insanely challenging course.

I grew up in Lancaster, moved to Missouri for a few years, and now I am back. The only one of those three I have heard of is Tyler SP, but I have not been there yet. I'll look into the others.

Have you been to Paw Paw? Would you recommend those spots over it?

I think you will have a blast at either destination area. I've only played Tyler out of the three big Eastern PA courses and it's an awesome course. I do think Whippin Post is better than Tyler and Paw Paw is a one of a kind destination. Nockamixon seems to be underrated and many people think it's one of the best courses they have played. It's just rated as one of the tougher courses out there. But so is Whippin Post..

My apologies about getting the price wrong for Woodshed/Whippin Post. I remembered wrong, it is $5 per person to play and $5 to camp there. The courses take a long time to play so plan on spending at least a full day there.

Saw the courses you've played in Missouri. Waterworks is one of my favorite courses! I've only played it once, would love to go back.

Hi Ish, I haven't been to Nocki or Tyler, but have been to Paw Paw about a dozen times. There is a reason I keep going back. I would recommend going before it gets too hot and the bugs get really bad, even though it's manageable. I recommend camping in the grove of pines at the top of the hill between 8's tee and 17's fairway. It gives you a little shade and there is a fire pit there, plus the stars are nice on the hill on a clear night.

As BigAl stated, take supplies, the closest store is about 25 minutes

BTW, I noticed we are playing in a tourney together on 05/03...looking forward to possibly meeting ya

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be Paw Paw bound May 8-10. Definitely camping.

Speaking of courses in Missouri... If any of you ever get the chance go play Ozark Mtn. Private land in the middle of no where. Twice a year Dave McCormick of Gateway runs a tournament (http://www.gdstour.com/ozark-mountain-open-2015/). To date it has been the highlight of my DG career.

i just spent the weekend in Paw Paw. Gabi and Spence make great hosts. make sure to stop by and say hi while you're there, they like that.

also the group camping spot described above is nice but not really flat. i like camping up by the barn.

Thanks for the input Brian. Do you have a number I can reach them at? Did you give them a call ahead of time to let them know you were coming?

If you can afford it, I would double the playing/camping fee. I can't imagine how much work it is to keep that place in playing condition and they are such gracious hosts.

Oh and hopefully you get a nice clear night when camping there, the star gazing is the best I've ever seen.

I'm looking to go and camp July 2 and leaving on July 3. Does anyone have any other information about this destination? I'm super pumped to be going!

I guess I'm looking to make a "reservation"? Should I call first? Just show up? What should I bring that I might not think of. I'll be driving about 2 hours to get there. I could dry camp if permitted or take RV if that's permitted? Any rivers or lakes nearby (wanna kayak a little). Just general info.

I guess I'm looking to make a "reservation"? Should I call first? Just show up? What should I bring that I might not think of. I'll be driving about 2 hours to get there. I could dry camp if permitted or take RV if that's permitted? Any rivers or lakes nearby (wanna kayak a little). Just general info.

Your first five questions are all answered earlier in this thread. Hint: call the phone number listed on the course page. The course owners could also tell you about nearby rivers. If not, a little Google searching should point you in the right direction.

Your profile might not be accurate. But, if it is, having Whippin Post and Woodshed be the 2nd and 3rd courses you've played might be a bigger step up in challenge than you're expecting.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not required to call and make reservations, but it is probably in your best interest, especially when you are investing that much time and effort. That way you can find out the course conditions, camping, rivers, etc. Gabi loves to talk to disc golfers.

Thanks for the replies.
Didn't see a number listed for them. I did however find it with another search.
Being have only played a handful of courses now I think I'll just dive right in. I'll accept the challenge of the course. What's the worst that could happen? It's a short drive for me as well.

Last edited:
Spoke with Gabbi for about 20 minutes. She seems like a great person. I'm super exited to be lucky that I live close. I'm doing all I can to build my game up to be ready for the course.

Latest posts