• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to Play Courses

Grip N Rip

Par Member
Does anyone frequent a pay to play course? What are the fees? (weekday, weekend) and what do you expect from a pay to play course? How was your experience(good or bad) How do you personally feel about a pay to play course?

No. (Well, not exactly.)

But in my travels I've played a number of them. They were among the best courses and disc golf experiences I've had, and almost every one worth the cost. (The exception being courses on ball golf courses, which is not my cup of tea).

Blue Ribbon Pines is my home course. $5 for a day pass, play as much as you want. A lot of the greens are wood-chipped, the grass is mowed, little to no trash, and the course is in great shape. They have a pro shop with discs for sale as well as snacks and beverages. I haven't played it in the winter yet, but I understand they clear the fairways all winter long and the course is always playable. They also have people that go into the swamps and creek and retrieve discs, which are then placed in Lost and Found in the Pro Shop. As an added bonus, in the middle of the course they have a shack where they will often have staff selling beverages, snacks and even grilling hot dogs.

Not every single pay-to-play will feature all of these amenities, and some may offer more, but the others I have played also offered a more manicured course and some of the other features. (Full disclosure, I've only played a handful.)

Considering what I've listed above, that $5 goes a loooooooong ways. Even if it is just better course maintenance and a deterrent to one-disc wonders throwing right at you while you're playing the hole, it's worth it to me. In the case of BRP, it's a family-run operation and that money goes to pay for all of those amenities. I'm happy to support that effort.

I live in a bit of a DG dead zone, which means I have to travel quite a bit to get to courses (the two closes ones are about 30 mins away).

So when you consider the time and gas money invested into going to play, the cost of a round becomes largely insignificant. So in that sense, I don't tend to treat pay-to-play any differently than free courses. In essence, every course is pay-to-play for me.

Our MetroPark courses,(Hudson Mills, Stony Creek, and Kensington) world class disc golf courses and parks, in my opinion, are PTP. I don't mind the two dollar (plus park entry) or 50 bucks a year. I do expect increased amenities or services though. To date, I cannot say I am happy with this end, though I do think more money has been directed to the courses. It is kind of tough to say, due to the outstanding club involvement at some of them. It is my understanding that the money collected here goes to the general fund, opposed to going directly back to the course. Other course around the state and country that are PTP seem to be worth it. They are usually better kept, patrolled, cleaned and frequented.

Pay to play is the wave of the future, or at least it should be. I frequent 1 P2P course, Hawk's Landing. Love it. And it has everything I would like to see in a course. First off and most important, I only see other disc golfers out there. No picnickers, no dog walkers, no vandals, no drunks, no hikers or folks out taking a stroll. In other words JUST DISC GOLFERS! And such peace of mind only costs $3 a round, or $5 all day.

And here's a list of the advantages besides just disc golfers in no particular order:

-Proper etiquette at all times.
-Scorecards
-Signs
-Fairway distance markers
-Places to sit
-No crowds
-Full service store on the premises
-Knowledgeable, friendly owners

P2P courses are the norm in New England. There are VERY few free courses. The $$ courses are typically $5 a round or $8 to $10 for unlimited play.

Pay to play and private courses are the best courses I have played on a whole. I have played Blue Ribbon Pines, Rollin' Ridge, IDGC courses, Winter Park, All Terrain, Trophy Lakes, Seewee Outpost and my favorite private course Stoney Hill. The only pay to play I have been disappointed in is in Surfside Beach, SC - Tupelo Bay (if you are in MB or Horry or Georgetown County play Socastee Rec Park instead. This course has the feel of a private course because the design is terrific and has par 3's and 4's).

I've played a few p2p courses (Black Bear Creek, Sandy Point, Highbridge) and they were all great experiences. I agree with a lot of the other sentiments here that there is a different vibe to most private courses. I wouldn't call it more 'serious', but I love the feeling that the course is for disc golf and disc golf alone. I play a lot of public courses that are in parks and have overlap with the general public. That's just reality for those types of courses and I have nothing to complain about. Private courses eliminate that overlap and that's what I love about them. I do tend to expect the course to be properly maintained when I have to pay to play it, but that's about it. Any other amenities are just icing on the cake, IMO.

After building my own course at my camp property, I have a much bigger appreciation for all of the work that goes into maintaining a course. Mine is only on 3 acres of property and I spend more time on maintenance than I do playing the course. That being said, it has also set the bar for my expectation of private courses and being maintained. I like the fairways to look like fairways and the grass to be cut in places it's meant to be cut. I feel like my money is going toward the expenses involved in caretaking and if a private course looks dumpy and not maintained, the odds of me returning are very low.

Pay to play is the wave of the future, or at least it should be. I frequent 1 P2P course, Hawk's Landing. Love it. And it has everything I would like to see in a course. First off and most important, I only see other disc golfers out there. No picnickers, no dog walkers, no vandals, no drunks, no hikers or folks out taking a stroll. In other words JUST DISC GOLFERS! And such peace of mind only costs $3 a round, or $5 all day.

And here's a list of the advantages besides just disc golfers in no particular order:

-Scorecards
-Signs
-Places to sit
-No crowds

I personally wish all moderately decent courses were Pay To Play for all of the reasons stated above. :hfive:

I've been thinking one of the next waves of disc golf growth could be the sport reaching a point where disc golf could be considered a viable agri-tourism type activity. Not a labor of love, but truly viable.

This would be for smaller scale land owners, such as family farms, etc that otherwise could be looking to supplemental income to support the continued holding of their family land. Right now there are options for supplemental income from corn mazes, and other agri tourism pursuits. some of these side uses may even be subsidized to some degree by some programs.

However, for the small to medium farm owner to see benefit, the pay to play would have to make sense and accomplish the mission of actually bringing in supplemental income.

That means it by definition will not be 100 percent fee value turned around to players. 'cause that's not sustainable. The juice has to be worth the squeeze as they say.

Maybe some day, maybe some day soon perhaps. (likely an example or two or three +already, especially if you consider tree farmers)

P2P courses are the norm in New England. There are VERY few free courses. The $$ courses are typically $5 a round or $8 to $10 for unlimited play.

Wow, that's steep. I hope they have annual passes or something.

Really? $5 for a round is steep??

And yes, annual passes generally go in the $75-$150 range around here.

Yea, 5 bucks is steep. I could see paying up to $100 for an annual pass, but no more. At the rate I play, that works out to about $2 a round, so that's not TOO expensive. :)

You gotta remember, a lot of us are broke. That's why I've never tried to play golf. THAT's expensive. :p

I love it when people complain that $5 is too expensive as they put another 50 cent cancer stick in their mouths. I deal with this on a regular basis.

-Scorecards
-Signs
-Places to sit
-No crowds

As someone who not only frequents pay-to-play courses, but operates one as well, I do have to caution people that the two items I bolded can't always be assumed just because the course is pay-to-play.

Around here, everything's pay to play, thus if people are playing, they're paying to do it. Even the folks that aren't aware of or observant of proper etiquette. And on nice days, courses can get packed with family groups, groups of teens, groups of old people, etc that tend to clog things up just like at the public free courses.

Of course, even with that, you do get all of the other listed perks and then some. I've yet to pay to play at a course and regret spending the money. I've played plenty of free courses at parks where I regretted spending the time and gas to get there.

As someone who not only frequents pay-to-play courses, but operates one as well, I do have to caution people that the two items I bolded can't always be assumed just because the course is pay-to-play.

JC makes a good point that should be noted. The asking of a fee does indeed often set a tone that leads to those things happening more often (all things being equal) but he's right in that it doesn't ensure it.

It's because there are people involved. If you ever had the inkling to do it, you could spend time delving into the ongoing issues that high cost to participate activites have. They're essentially the same issues. Ball Golf -it's pace of play, ettiquette, courtesy, destructiveness, vandalism, trash. It's all the same core issues. The money difference didn't eliminate them, they are still there - just the way it acts out is different. Still management, still people getting ruffled about something. Marshals spend all day clashing with irresponsible jerks. Still disrespectful behavior.

But the odds of encountering it are lessened for any single pass through experience.

JC, I could see that your boldfaced items could be a problem, but that's where a good course owner would monitor that. They do around these parts. If you're a bad egg you will get told to leave the P2P courses. Same as a ball golf course. And if those things were to become a nuisance that's when the price goes up for quality of play.

And $5 is too expensive? Hey I'm broke as a joke all the time. But please, $5 for all day? Even $10 for all day is affordable. If you can't afford it then play public. And that is somewhat the point. If you're not serious enough, and I don't mean looking to become a pro, but serious enough to get the best disc golf has to offer, then by all means play public.

Last edited:
I'd gladly pay 10, maybe even 20 bucks to play a really nice course, once in a blue moon. Just not all the time.