• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to play disc golf

I'll pay for nice courses. Generally speaking, free courses are one of the (many) main draws to playing this sport, in my opinion. Having a "free" hobby is pretty sweet.

I will pay for a good course or a unique course. I also think that when I play a private course the right thing to do is make some kind of donation, or purchase whatever discs, clothes etc that I can to help support the cause. It has to be a lot of work to build and maintain a nice course.

Even disc golf's most elite pay to play courses don't cost hardly anything compared to ball golf. Pay to play in terms of disc golf is just fine. I also agree with sloppydisc that supporting private courses is a must. One of the main draws of disc golf is free courses, but even the pay to play courses are really inexpensive. The only part that may hit your wallet is the ski slope courses and lift tickets.

I love the pay to play. It keeps the "riff raff" out, and the course amenities and maintenance are usually top notch. I don't mind paying a few dollars to not have to wait behind groups of eight who only care about drinking and smoking. I'm glad that there are still free courses, but I have been buying seasonal memberships at two separate courses for the last five years.

Wow that castle rock complex looks amazing! I can't wait til it opens. And it's not even too far from the Cities!

Great article--sums it well. Free courses for all, pay courses for those willing to pony up for the experience. Naturally, pay courses should offer something above and beyond what local free courses do.

Castle rock does look amazing. I hope we see more of the complexes come into development. I don't see them being financially lucrative, but if the goal is to be self sufficient, it's achievable. People who love disc golf creating multiple disc courses for people who love disc golf.

I also think that when I play a private course the right thing to do is make some kind of donation, or purchase whatever discs, clothes etc that I can to help support the cause. It has to be a lot of work to build and maintain a nice course.

thanks!

having a private course on your own land is tough work, so i dont mind paying for those. but i wont pay for a course in a public park because the state, county, or city/town pays for upkeep or at least assists.

bs- some municipalities support beyond allowing the land to be used, some don't. if they DO support that is even more reason to pay. bottom line is someone somewhere down the line IS paying.

Great article--sums it well. Free courses for all, pay courses for those willing to pony up for the experience. Naturally, pay courses should offer something above and beyond what local free courses do.

I don't mind to give $$ to play a nice course.

I don't mind to give $$ to play a nice course.

I own Phantom Falls, and I ask PP for a donation to help me improve & the course. I have not had any neg feedback. I think this sport is growing faster than public courses are being built, and those who choose to share their private labor of love should be rewarded for filling the void.

I couldn't agree more Paul. I enjoy being able to support private courses through membership, purchasing dg gear, or daily passes to private courses. Players at private courses tend to be of a higher caliber, and not just at disc golf. People care about the upkeep as well. I take bags and collect litter at the private courses everytime out. I can't say the same about public. I don't know what that says about me, but there's a helluva lot less trash at the private courses I play that people respect, then a public course that people abuse. I hope I get out to Colorado again this summer, and get to check out Phantom. Appreciate you Paul.

i donate my time (picking up trash, clearing fallen trees, etc) and money to public and private courses, and i pay for park access (like metroparks). but i'm not all that jazzed on paying per day/annually to have some doofus in a segway chase people around looking for tags.

i miss the riff-raff.

Last edited:
The "riff raff" I'm talking about are the players who go to courses because they have no other place to be. Guys who could care less about playing, and are only there because they have no other place to be. I'm all for having a good time. The most I've payed for a membership is $45 for a season, or $10 a day, and it's worth it to see that money go back to into improvements at the course.

my favorite things about pay-to-play:
#1 - 99% of the time the players have a much better etiquette (not necessarily better player)
#2 - courses are generally more challenging
#3 - maintenance
#4 - no chuckers who destroy the course
i expect alot more from a pay to play. it better be well taken care of and fun!
of the curses mentioned ive played all but elm creek. and if that is the caliber this castle rocks will be made then id gladly pay to play it. my only compliant is with three rivers park district: they dont allow dogs on the course.

free courses are an absolute necessity its what this sport is founded on. pay to play has its place but every area should have a free local course. new players arnt going to want to pay every time the play.

I will pay for a good course or a unique course. I also think that when I play a private course the right thing to do is make some kind of donation, or purchase whatever discs, clothes etc that I can to help support the cause. It has to be a lot of work to build and maintain a nice course.

Preach it brother! I'm with you!

I've yet to play a pay to play course. I think it's almost solely because we have great public free to play courses around here. Maples Lake is the only nearby pay to play course that comes to mind, and it's only open on Saturdays, so I don't get to play it because I must work on Saturdays. I've heard it's got great potential.

i donate my time (picking up trash, clearing fallen trees, etc) and money to public and private courses, and i pay for park access (like metroparks). but i'm not all that jazzed on paying per day/annually to have some doofus in a segway chase people around looking for tags.

i miss the riff-raff.

Kensington I'm guessing. H mills people are nice. How do feel about the $50 price. I'll admit it hurt shellin out $70 for the pass ang tag- and that's before any league fees.

I also think it bs they want to charge for non players. I realize this is a slipery slope but sometimes a lil common sense is in need.

Latest posts