• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to play

Tuckerman's. Camped there in February. -15 degrees without the wind chill. Wind was blowing 80mph at the summit. Sweet! Also got caught ice climbing in Huntington and had to spend the night hiking down from Alpine Garden. Luckily found Lionshead tr and made it down around 5:00am. I love that place!

Nice - camped the weekend after Thanksgiving was great full winter conditions - tho wasnt as cold as feb - prob in the teens - iceclimbed a little in tucks - wind was whipping - made it to Lionshead unfortch didnt try to summit

You can always play some object golf. Just this past weekend a friend and I were out throwing in a park making our own holes aiming at different light post and such. Was pretty fun.

I camp up in NH a lot - unfortch i'm the only gung ho DG'er

wading in a mt stream with some frosty brews is the next best activity.

I see people all the time pay $6-$8 for a round of Miniture Golf. Disc Golf is more fun, so if the course is fun, I would pay it.

I think the real question is , where is the money going? Is it going to improve and upkeep the course or is it going into someones pocket. Also, is this public or private property?

You can always play some object golf. Just this past weekend a friend and I were out throwing in a park making our own holes aiming at different light post and such. Was pretty fun.

There are 2 Elementary schools near me that are sitting on HUGE lots of land. I do this same thing since it'll help me with my drives and approaches. I can easily make the school that's about a 2 minute walk form my house into an 18 hole course...lots of trees on one side, lots of open on the other. I think of the baseball infield gravel as my "water hazard" and play 2 holes around that.

I know, I may be crazy, but it's close to home.

I think the real question is , where is the money going? Is it going to improve and upkeep the course or is it going into someones pocket. Also, is this public or private property?

the only places that i have had to play are private property or county/state parks, and have never had a complaint about the courses. they are all very well kept actually.

most of the state's ski areas are private - they pretty much do anything in the summer to attact tourists. Ur always paying a bit xtra because of the lift ride up.

Ziplines / "canopy tours" / Disc Golf / Alpine slides / Water slides / Mtn Biking etc etc

all i know is i'd pay 20 bux a round to pay disc golf over paying any amount of money to go on those wimpy zip lines at bretton woods

I regularly pay $3 to play at state parks but $10 seems steep. the main issue to me is that most places are free or a few bucks. If every course was pay to play it would not stop me from playing.

If the course is worth it - then you're okay in my opinion. I paid $10 to play 30 holes at Phantom Falls and was happy about it, but payed $3 to park to play 18 holes at Zilker Park and was pissed about it. Bottom line - it depends on the course in my book.

I hate that Zilker charges for parking now. It's just something they've started in the last few months, but there's free parking near the course under the Mopac (Loop 1) bridge or on the other side of Barton Springs Rd. Guess that doesn't help you now though, oh, and hope you jumped in Barton Springs Pool after your round. That's the best thing about playing the Zilker course.

Nice - camped the weekend after Thanksgiving was great full winter conditions - tho wasnt as cold as feb - prob in the teens - iceclimbed a little in tucks - wind was whipping - made it to Lionshead unfortch didnt try to summit

Thanksgiving weekend was the weekend that we got caught on the mountain, climbing in Huntington Ravine. Probably around '91. A long time ago. Hard to believe that there is that much ice available at that time of year outside of the Rockies. About half way up with 4 people, next thing you know total white out.

Its whatever the market will bear folks. If they can get that more power to them. I suspect people who charge that much for so little haven't much clue about our sport, but I do see it is a ski area course and they're likely using DG as a summer revenue generator. Often that fee is for use of the lift more than anything.

That being said, we have three state parks in Kansas with courses and all of them are highly under utilized because people have to pay to get in to play something that is less inspiring than a great number of free courses within a reasonable drive. They're more along the lines of "something to do while you're here camping" type courses, than something that would lure you to actually pay to get into the park.

I think its worth $10 to play a course if its sweet. Especially if there is nothing else around to play. From what I remember Wildcat Mtn. has alot of other cool stuff to do also(water park, cement bobsled thingy, mtn. biking, etc). That area is wicked scenic, so the course is sure to provide some stellar views.

I grew up in New England and had never heard of disc golf until I moved to Michigan 11 years ago. I wish I had discovered disc back when I was younger. Nice to see they are getting courses out there. I know there is not that many. It doesn't seem like the public parks out there have discovered Disc Golf either. Only 8 courses in all of NH, thats a bummer. There is lots of awesome land out there for discin!

I think its worth $10 to play a course if its sweet. Especially if there is nothing else around to play. From what I remember Wildcat Mtn. has alot of other cool stuff to do also(water park, cement bobsled thingy, mtn. biking, etc). That area is wicked scenic, so the course is sure to provide some stellar views.

I grew up in New England and had never heard of disc golf until I moved to Michigan 11 years ago. I wish I had discovered disc back when I was younger. Nice to see they are getting courses out there. I know there is not that many. It doesn't seem like the public parks out there have discovered Disc Golf either. Only 8 courses in all of NH, thats a bummer. There is lots of awesome land out there for discin!

i dont want to pay more than five bucks and hate to have to pay per round.

Pay to play for each round? Possibly. If it is highly rated course, I would be willing to pay up to $10 a round. I would have to come away from the course with a smile on my face regardless if I played well or not. I do like the mix how it is now with majority of courses free, and when I play the well designed ones, I feel like I should have paid for it.

$10 seems like alot to me, especially considering it is only 9 holes played twice.

Blue Ribbon Pines in MN is prob the best course i've played - it's a top rated on this site - and it is only $5 for as much as you can play, and it's 27 holes on private property. New concession stand about half-way through the course, sell beer and everything.

Bryant Lake, which is also a top notch course, is only $3 a round/$5 day. but it is part of a park...

but like someone said, if they are able to get enough people to pay $10 then $10 is what the market is.

I'm sure that people would also pay $10 bucks a round to play Flip City on a regular basis. I just think it depends on the course.
We donate at least that every time we head down there.

LittleWoodenBoy said:
In MI, we have Metroparks that are $4 per car, or $20 for an annual pass.

2 of these Metroparks have courses...One has 24 Holes, the other has 2 seperate 24 holes courses...The Original and The Monster
That's not quite accurate.....the $4/$20 is for the auto park pass and is good for all the Metroparks. On top of that, the 3 parks with courses charge $2 per day or $50 for an annual bag tag that is good for all the courses at Hudson Mills, Kensington, and Stony Creek.

That makes it $6 a day or $70 a year for a single person.

Latest posts