• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA announces World Championships to split. Open / Age Protected

Mr. Anderson

Eagle Member
I'm glad this is happening. I wish this had happened 3 years ago. Since you do not need 6+ courses for 500+ people, now more regions will have the opportunity to host the World Championships.

The Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA) is pleased to announce that beginning in 2017, a new and separate Disc Golf World Championship event will be contested for all age-protected divisions. The 2017 PDGA Professional Masters Disc Golf World Championships will be held in addition to the existing PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships, which will be limited to qualified Open Professional Men and Open Professional Women players. The tournaments will continue to be sanctioned by the Professional Disc Golf Association as PDGA Major events.

Additionally, for marketing purposes, it is the intention of the PDGA to have at least a $100,000 payout for the inaugural Pro Worlds, which is a substantial increase over previous years.

http://www.pdga.com/worlds-apart

Awesome. Had two friends that usually plays worlds that couldnt get in this year

"This will also open up the potential for more International bids."

As much as I'd like to see the big guns compete for the big one in Europe, I don't think this change will affect the chances of that really happening.

200 players x $500 (net of fees) entry fee = $100K.

Simple.

I'm sure that's tongue in cheek, but more than doubling entry fees isn't the answer.

This change means the number of potential host locations for the Open Worlds are now exponentially more abundant than they were before. No more need for 4+ courses in near proximity. Two will do the trick and there are far more locales with 2 championship courses than there are with 4+.

I think that will lead to greater competition for the chance to host, which should lead to better events and bigger sponsors. In fact, we may reach a point very soon where the bidders will have to have secured a fair amount of sponsorship before they are awarded the tournament.

Definitely a change for the better. For years, the debate has been whether Worlds is a tournament or a convention. Now, for the Open and Women at least, it is a true tournament. The convention aspect still remains for the age-protected and amateur sides.

No more so than the possibility has existed since he won #12. Only now he doesn't have to choose Open or Masters, he can theoretically play both.

Huh? So you are saying it is infinitely more possible. Since he will be going from not competing in the event, to competing in the event.

Huh? So you are saying it is infinitely more possible. Since he will be going from not competing in the event, to competing in the event.

No, I'm saying just as possible. He has been eligible to play in the MPO division at Worlds all along. It's only in the last 4 years or so that he's chosen to play Masters instead of continuing to go for #13.

There's a big difference between not being able/eligible to play and choosing not to play a given division.

No, I'm saying just as possible. He has been eligible to play in the MPO division at Worlds all along. It's only in the last 4 years or so that he's chosen to play Masters instead of continuing to go for #13.

There's a big difference between not being able/eligible to play and choosing not to play a given division.

You're tho only one throwing around able/eligible. The comment was that now he has a chance to win 13, you said no more so than before, which is obviously wrong.

Before, in order to compete for #13 he would have had to bypass on a $2000+ payday, seeing as how he is a lock for top 2 in masters. The POSSIBILITY of him winning an MPO has increased significantly since he just went from not in the field, to in the field.

You're tho only one throwing around able/eligible. The comment was that now he has a chance to win 13, you said no more so than before, which is obviously wrong.

Before, in order to compete for #13 he would have had to bypass on a $2000+ payday, seeing as how he is a lock for top 2 in masters. The POSSIBILITY of him winning an MPO has increased significantly since he just went from not in the field, to in the field.

But bypassing or not bypassing the easier payday was his choice. Yes, he has to actually play MPO to win, but my point is that he isn't being presented with a previously non-existent opportunity because of this new format. He'll have the same chance to win in 2017 as he had in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 when he played MPO. And the same chance to win MPO that he elected to bypass in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 by not playing MPO.

FYI on the $100,000 payout: PDGA will be adding $28,000 to the event, and the rest will come from entry fees. 288 players multiplied by a $250 entry.

Latest posts