• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA announces World Championships to split. Open / Age Protected

A little clarity regarding the problem? It's lack of entertainment value.

However, the only option to sustain a pro tour is more people wanting to watch online and/or in person, even better if they're willing to pay to watch.

I went through quite few options in my series on getting more spectators. One of them is a more compelling game design FOR COMPETITION.

So that's where we are - how to do it if it's even possible.

Specifically looking at ball golf to borrow ideas makes sense, not only because it's also golf, but because they have proven elements that draw more spectator interest. It's ironic that ball golf is now looking for ideas to retain/gain players and is indirectly looking to disc golf (faster play, bigger hole).

If some ideas can be transformed to work for disc golf, there's reasonable chance they might be less pleasant to play for all players.

I agree that it needs to be more interesting to watch if you are going to grow the viewing audience, however I don't know that making a change to the putting experience will all of a sudden make it compelling to the mass audience.

I won't take credit for all these ideas because they are cut and paste from Wikipedia - but if you look at what's on TV, it's non-stop action. What we get with a 2-camera system is 4 tee shots followed by a commentator huffing and puffing walking down each fairway along with the players. Get the guy a golf cart already, as I mention every live cast. You need cameras everywhere, with microphones everywhere, and a central desk for the anchors to run the show. Have the reporters walk down the cards and jump to them for analysis on the details. Then cut to a new shot from another player. There will be 10-20 players I would love to see shooting out there, and watching 2+ dozen players is enough action to fill the gaps. From Wiki page about the PGA Tour and Frank Chirkinian:

Chirkinian was responsible for a number of innovations in the television presentation of golf. He ensured as many microphones as possible were placed around the golf course to pick up the sounds of the tournament and golfers' conversations, rather than having commentators talk over silent footage. He showed as many golf shots as possible, cutting quickly from player to player to keep up the pace of the broadcast, unafraid of focusing on the game's stars. The use of multiple cameras was introduced during Chirkinian's tenure, including high-angle cameras mounted in trees and on blimps for the first time. Chirkinian said that he was most proud of being the first to display golfers' scores relative to par, rather than cumulatively, making it simpler to work out how they were faring relative to the rest of the field. Most of all, Chirkinian thought it important to allow coverage to focus on golfers and the shots they made, and was critical of recent innovations in golf broadcasting that he saw as distracting and unnecessary.

Since 2004, all of CBS's golf broadcasts outside of the Masters have featured super slow motion video of golfers' shots from a super slow motion camera used for swing analysis by Peter Kostis

If anyone is familiar with the last 6 months of live streams, we've started to see some of these elements. Jussi's broadcast of the EO featured slow motion shots of throws, and that was so awesome to see. It fills up dead space and is something to be discussed beyond the current score and standings.

I think it goes hand-in-hand, it takes lots of money to have 20 camera guys and 50 microphones and 5 commentators, and it would be able to draw a much larger audience with high tech graphics, non-stop action.

Maybe to begin with, time formatted as a 2 hour broadcast. You can gather up clips from the beginning of the round, and then air holes 6-18 with video catch up and analysis, which will both eat up dead time and save some cash to be put towards extra cameras and manpower.

^Your posts are too long

i guess i thought this was a serious discussion, that required a bit more than soundbites.

i could try this:

ur dumb, ur face is ugly and your ideas suck balz.

i guess this explains why we need 3-5 seconds per camera shot like on cable tv shows or you lose the audience attention...:doh:

How about a slightly larger basket set off center of the pole?

Probably wouldn't need to be off center by more than a few inches to really force a good side and a bad side of the basket while making all sides possible still. Cool idea in the line of equipment changes. Miss your putt towards the perfect side forces a comeback putt at the worst side - there's drama for you.

Other than natural obstructions, all these "make putting harder" ideas seem contrived, and IMO detract from the essence of the game. Altering the basket would impact aces, throw ins, and outside the circle putts (as would penalty areas near the target, either hazard or OB).

Frankly I think we need to accept and embrace drop ins if by doing so we can experience the final round, 18th hole drama during last year's Memorial.

Ever see what happened at the Fountain Hills Thrills a few years back? Uli parked for bird with a 1 shot lead... Nikko steps to the tee...

Last edited:
I once saw a picture of a regulations basket.....hanging from a tree. Icant remember which course this was, but I remember seeing it and thinking to myself "this is better". The basket can move with the wind.
Now imagine that at the glass blown open. Yeah, that would be fun To watch

I once saw a picture of a regulations basket.....hanging from a tree. Icant remember which course this was, but I remember seeing it and thinking to myself "this is better". The basket can move with the wind.
Now imagine that at the glass blown open. Yeah, that would be fun To watch

I think there are plenty of suspended baskets. Around this area, the recently RIP'ed Sunnybrook had one and Bonnie Brook (below hole 14) still has one. Really the weight of these prevent much movement....besides the "accidental" swing from removing your putt. ;)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=7150&p=647293c5

so whats the difference between Age protected Worlds and the Tim Selinske?

so whats the difference between Age protected Worlds and the Tim Selinske?

One is played for the World Championship and the other is played for the US Championship. ;)

The traditional format in terms of number of days/rounds for the Masters Worlds and Amateur Worlds isn't changing. It will still be eight days of competition (doubles, field events, then ~4-6 rounds plus semis and finals). The Selinske is still going to be the four day schedule it has been.

FrFLv1B.jpg

L>R:

The Bogey Baby Mobile: Why let babies have all the fun? The Bogey Baby Mobile provides distractions as well as suspended obstacles. Wind power spins the mobile for extra difficulty!

Shaolin Monkey Pole 10m Circle: Putting inside the circle too easy? No problemo with monkey poles! No putt is safe with a circle full of cut tree trunks anchored into the ground, all at varying heights. The ultimate test of balance! *Not responsible for turned ankles, trips or falls*

Punji Pit Bunkers: These Indian death traps liven up any dull golf course! With these large, vertical spike laden pits dug around the basket it'll bring a whole new meaning to playing it safe! *not responsible for any spike related injuries, falls, or death.*

Coat rack Obstacles: Need to spruce up that boring green with some temporary obstacles? Look no further than these handy coat racks, conveniently found at your local dump! Not only do they increase scoring separation, they're also great for taking a load off as a place to hang your bag!

Balloon Obstacles: Helium balloons make any green festive! Low resistance obstacles distract more than impede but maybe just enough to make it interesting! Can be made into fun animal shapes!

Yeah, I got bored.

I think the Punji Pit is a bit too much Dave. Keeping player safety in mind and if there's a dairy or pig farm near, a Poo Pit would would preserve your concept. Play it where it lies!

I think the Punji Pit is a bit too much Dave. Keeping player safety in mind and if there's a dairy or pig farm near, a Poo Pit would would preserve your concept. Play it where it lies!

This one made me laugh pretty good.

Although sometimes dog owners provide that for us, just two days ago I saw a guy walking to the trash can with a poo bag and thanked him because two weeks earlier some ******* didn't do the same and I picked up a ****ty pd wasn't fun!

FrFLv1B.jpg

L>R:

The Bogey Baby Mobile: Why let babies have all the fun? The Bogey Baby Mobile provides distractions as well as suspended obstacles. Wind power spins the mobile for extra difficulty!

Shaolin Monkey Pole 10m Circle: Putting inside the circle too easy? No problemo with monkey poles! No putt is safe with a circle full of cut tree trunks anchored into the ground, all at varying heights. The ultimate test of balance! *Not responsible for turned ankles, trips or falls*

Punji Pit Bunkers: These Indian death traps liven up any dull golf course! With these large, vertical spike laden pits dug around the basket it'll bring a whole new meaning to playing it safe! *not responsible for any spike related injuries, falls, or death.*

Coat rack Obstacles: Need to spruce up that boring green with some temporary obstacles? Look no further than these handy coat racks, conveniently found at your local dump! Not only do they increase scoring separation, they're also great for taking a load off as a place to hang your bag!

Balloon Obstacles: Helium balloons make any green festive! Low resistance obstacles distract more than impede but maybe just enough to make it interesting! Can be made into fun animal shapes!

Yeah, I got bored.

I just wanted to post this again hahahaha. I think this describes the discussion at hand. Although I joined too late to know what this has to do with splitting open / age protected. I would guess that we want to single out the open players specifically and make them dance through fire for our entertainment value. Not the women, children and elderly though, that would be dishonorable.

Just one man's opinion:
I'm still wondering why we're trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Seems like we're taking one part American Gladiator (turning athletics into spectacle) and one part Putt-Putt (tricked-up obstacles and hazards) and one part Extreme Games, all in the pursuit of making Disc Golf interesting and spectator-friendly.

Here's the big announcement: Disc Golf is just not spectator-friendly, unless the spectators know what is going on.
Unless you can get enough people who are interested enough in the sport to come out and watch, all your efforts to make the sport more interesting and viewable will only serve to corrupt a very simple and enjoyable sport.
Build the audience first, then they will come out and watch. And you won't need spinning windmills and tricked-up baskets for that.
Make the courses more challenging, not tricked-up and wacky.

Just one man's opinion:
I'm still wondering why we're trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Seems like we're taking one part American Gladiator (turning athletics into spectacle) and one part Putt-Putt (tricked-up obstacles and hazards) and one part Extreme Games, all in the pursuit of making Disc Golf interesting and spectator-friendly.

Here's the big announcement: Disc Golf is just not spectator-friendly, unless the spectators know what is going on.
Unless you can get enough people who are interested enough in the sport to come out and watch, all your efforts to make the sport more interesting and viewable will only serve to corrupt a very simple and enjoyable sport.
Build the audience first, then they will come out and watch. And you won't need spinning windmills and tricked-up baskets for that.
Make the courses more challenging, not tricked-up and wacky.

I wonder if the chess discussion forums are discussing ways of rule changes or game changes to make a chess match more tv friendly? I mean, it's been like 40 years since the world watched chess...

oh wait, google informs me they have a livestream and a twitch channel. I bet the people who watch love the game as it is, and the people that don't watch, well, aren't calling for pawns that can be smashed upon taking, or unexpected landmine spaces that explode! :gross:

CHESS.COM - for only $99 a year, you get FULL access to the Chess.com TV channel where we broadcast live events, interviews with top players, live game analysis, fun shows, and more! Chat as you watch the broadcast and submit your questions and get interactive responses!

I think most of you are missing the point. Putting is too easy, pros and am's alike. I still think the best option is to remove the chains. Make the then it becomes an accuracy sport, but that's just my opinion .

I think most of you are missing the point. Putting is too easy, pros and am's alike.
If its so easy, then why do so many of us suck at it?

but that's just my opinion .
And you're entitled to that opinion, but honest to God, I can't say that I've heard this opinion much in circles of people I see playing in real life, some of whom are damned good putters. It only seems to be the opinion of DG message board idealists looking to solve a problem that never was.