• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Asks Golfers to not play courses...

InDaWoodsDiscN419

Par Member
From r/discgolf:

To our loyal and passionate members around the world, thank you for your continued support and dedication to the PDGA during these very difficult and uncertain times. The world is experiencing an unprecedented health crisis that impacts the lives of each and every individual. While it seems small by comparison, our global disc golf community has also been significantly affected by this pandemic.

Our Board of Directors and PDGA Staff have been working diligently to stay ahead of daily developments related to the coronavirus pandemic, specifically how it impacts the safety and wellbeing of our members, staff, volunteers, and our communities. We made some very difficult decisions in the past few weeks, including the suspension of all PDGA sanctioning as well as the cancellation of several high-profile events. We want you to know that these decisions were not taken lightly. We know how important the competition and the camaraderie of disc golf are, and that suspending PDGA-sanctioned play – an outlet for many during
stressful times – has caused disruption. We deeply appreciate the understanding, flexibility, and support of our members and tournament directors in the face of this global health crisis.

While we know you want to be out playing right now, we need your help to set a good example for communities everywhere. That is why we are asking disc golfers to skip the course and stay home. It is something we all have the power to do in this crisis, and while it may seem like a tall task, we are confident it is the best choice to help slow the spread of the coronavirus. This goes for the young and healthy, as well as those considered more vulnerable. We are all in this together.

The PDGA Staff has transitioned to working remotely throughout the duration of the crisis and will continue to operate with very little disruption as we await a return to normalcy. As always, we remain committed to the promotion, growth and sustainability of the sport, and are placing increased emphasis on keeping the health and safety of our communities as our foremost concern. Please follow the guidance of government health agencies and local authorities, and continue to check in at PDGA.com and on our social media channels to keep up to date with the latest news and information, including any additional postponements or cancellations that may be necessary as the situation continues to unfold.

I know that disc golf will emerge from this better and stronger than ever. It won't be long before the sound of rattling chains will once again fill the air at a course near you. On behalf of the PDGA Staff and Board of Directors, we thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Justin Menickelli, Ph.D. PDGA Board of Directors President

:popcorn:

This has already been touched on in a couple other Covid threads, but I will kind of recap.

This email is poorly worded. Discussing the previous PDGA sanctioning decisions, before their general request to stay off courses, is confusing at best.

It is my feeling that the PDGA is preaching to the choir. They are asking the very golfers who make up the responsible contingent of players seen out at the course,to stop playing. So....now I imagine the players that were out at the course, practicing distancing and using common sense strategies to mitigate the spread of the virus, staying at home. While the knuckleheads that are sitting 7 at a picnic table, sharing smoke will continue to do so. I do realize this is a generalization, but it is an opinion based on my observation.

You're probably right with that prognosis. As coastal MS still has few cases, I feel that riding my bicycle to the course for a solo round is ok. This may change in the near future though.
Played a blind doubles Sunday and everyone was good about distance, elbow bumps, not sharing, etc., except for not picking others discs out of the basket. So yeah, probably only solo rounds from now on.

I did a sad chuckle-sigh when I read this. As someone with an immuno-suppressed life partner, you bet I'm taking COVID seriously. I'm not doing anything I don't have to, and everything I do at work involves about 27 alcohol wipes.

That said, I just shook my head because not only does this email seem relatively poorly worded, but it's just not their place. Their statement should have been asking PDGA members to follow the guidelines of the WHO and CDC, the organizations they referenced/used as their rationale for shutting down PDGA events. Beyond that, they don't need to be dispensing life or medical advice. Period.

Just my 2 cents, that nobody asked for.

That said, I just shook my head because not only does this email seem relatively poorly worded, but it's just not their place. Their statement should have been asking PDGA members to follow the guidelines of the WHO and CDC, the organizations they referenced/used as their rationale for shutting down PDGA events. Beyond that, they don't need to be dispensing life or medical advice. Period.

Just my 2 cents, that nobody asked for.

Except for the poorly worded part, I strongly strongly disagree.

First off, the author has a PhD and teaches Kinesiology at a university. The PDGA also has a medical committee full of medical professionals. This group is more than capable of providing medical advice.

In terms of if they should or shouldn't, this is absolutely needed.

The vision statement of the organization is "The PDGA is a membership organization dedicated to the promotion and sustainable growth of disc golf" and the mission statement points to growth of the game.

Now, let's get to a scenario. Let's say groups and groups of disc golfers want to play and go to a park. The park sees them and then suddenly a week later a group of park employees gets the virus. Sure, it could come from anywhere, but we are talking about perception.

Since our sport still primarily is played in public areas that we don't have ownership or control over, there are still politics and perception at play here. The last thing a course or a club needs is a park closing a course or not supporting an event or not supporting a new course due to this. An argument of "well, you guys didn't listen to us during Corona" will happen at some point...

The PDGA is staying ahead of this. They know they can't and won't stop people from playing. But this is an absolute CYA from the PDGA and guidance to clubs. For example, we have posted this message on our club pages and club accounts. So if the parks gets upset, we can say "not club members" or whatever.

Considering this has potential go damage growth, both through quantitative measures like reduction in events, courses, etc and non quantitative like perception, I think the PDGA absolutely did the right thing and it aligns with their mission and vision.

It's totally a CYA move. There are five paragraphs. The request — please don't play disc golf — is buried in the middle of the middle paragraph (of five total paragraphs). There's absolutely nowhere better to do some burying! The tweet was more direct bc it had to be. As someone who studies rhetoric, I could spend all day with these communications.

I thought the "we need your help to set a good example for communities everywhere" line was an appeal to virtue, an acknowledgment that men, the majority of their members, think that they are beacons of virtue. I get the appeal, but the real role models would have already quit playing.

It's unfortunate they couldn't have sent a clearer message but so is politics, including that this message is part of those politics.

I see what you're saying. On a personal level, I still think it's far past their jurisdiction.

But, you're right, we live in a world where politics and always CYA rule. As soon as you don't do it just right, you're "gotcha'd!" into oblivion.

So, if this is something they'll be able to point to in the future and say "we did the right thing", then it's the right move. Fair enough. :thmbup:

Yep, just a CYA move on the PDGA's part.

(And they're way late to the 'party'...)

No they're not. Local Govs. here are keeping parks open and encouraging people to get out and hike. So PDGA is ahead of the curve.

With that said they better not close down the parks around here...I mean the Gov, not PDGA.

No they're not. Local Govs. here are keeping parks open and encouraging people to get out and hike. So PDGA is ahead of the curve.

With that said they better not close down the parks around here...I mean the Gov, not PDGA.

Many places have shut down parks already, while others have shut down indoor facilities, and some are still open. My point was that the PDGA could've said to stop playing when they shut down the season a while back. My more important point was also that they're issuing that as a CYA move more than anything else.

Many places have shut down parks already, while others have shut down indoor facilities, and some are still open. My point was that the PDGA could've said to stop playing when they shut down the season a while back. My more important point was also that they're issuing that as a CYA move more than anything else.

I could have bought Amazon stock at $5 also but I didn't. Knowing that now doesn't make me a smart investor just like knowing they "could have said" this before doesn't make any point or prove them wrong.

I'm afraid that the PDGA's statement combined with the Chucker Apocalypse currently rampaging our courses will get some clubs to decide that it's best to close some of the club maintained courses for awhile.

I'm all for responsibly eliminating the spread. But I still plan to take well spaced walks as allowed during our lockdown... I just plan to do it on the course.

The key is to be responsible. I'll be playing solo, or maybe with my son. At least 10 ft between me and ...everyone.

Avoid touching stuff other than my discs and bag. Don't putt out gimmes or touch chains. Probs score a bit better, cuz I skip putts I should make, but don't always make. :eek:. Soak a paper towel with alcohol and thoroughly wipe my hands before grabbing the wheel.

Don't hang or make extra stops I don't need to make.

If you can't do something responsibly, then don't do it, period. To ru4por's point, the problem is with those who through ignorance or arrogance, dont act responsibly. Trust me when I say their propensity to act irresponsibly stretches waaaaayyyy beyond the course.

Are people getting grumpy from not playing?

I don't see a big deal, in what the PDGA said or how they said it.

Response to current events has been evolving, and like others, the PDGA's position has been evolving towards greater precaution. They obviously don't have authority over casual play, but are advising their members and any other disc golfers they may reach. It seems particularly odd to criticize them for using a couple of sentences as foundation, before that part of the message.

No big deal. It won't have much affect, but it won't do any harm either.

If you know someone with a private course that has very limited traffic, sure go play solo (with permission obviously). Public facilities with hard surfaces are obvious transmission sites, golf baskets included. Playgrounds have been getting cordoned off with caution tape, and something as easily removed as a basket will be if people don't stop using them. That's why a place like NYC can't slow the spread very well, it's impossible to navigate that city without touching surfaces. But guess what, you can still play golf using trees/objects as targets in appropriately remote areas.

CYA move. It allows them to walk away without having to do anything else but wash their hands of disc golf for the time being. Weak. I'll continue playing solo rounds. I'll also think long and hard before I send my $50 in next year.

Yep total CYA and they have to do it. That doesn't mean I have to listen to them, I'm a responsible person, not one of the idiot chuckers.

Keep the businesses closed and the parks open. So far Ohio has it right. And I'll very begrudgingly admit that Mike DeWine has made the right choices so far. (Primaries a perfect example of this).

Speaking of idiot chuckers, they aren't PDGA members. I'm not a member most years either. Most disc golfers are not members. Most people on this forum are not members.

So while I understand the "message" I will do what I have been doing, playing responsibly and going to the store once a week to get food. No other trips, no gathering in groups, limiting my exposure and therefore my family and neighbors exposure as much as possible.

I'm in the high risk group. My wife just had surgery. You can be damned sure I don't want to get this thing but I'm not living my life in fear either.