• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Executive Director Resigns

~80k to start and somebody will hate every decision you make. Three Putt, you should sign up.
You have to, you know...think that Pro disc golf is a good idea.

Besides, I'm married. Somebody already hates every decision I make. :|

Not neasicarily but I was only speak of disc golf. I think that if a tour grows independent of the PDGA eventually for the Pros the PDGA would lose value.

Disc golf and Baseball are the only sports I follow closely enough to be able to comment on far reaching things like this. So if you have an example of another sport that operates differently your probably correct.

Last edited:
...So if you have an example of another sport that operates differently your probably correct.
Knowing Iacas' background a little bit (longtime no read, welcome back) I would wager to guess he's referencing our big brother, golf. The USGA and the PGA Tour are separate entities, and some might say, successful ones at that.

And he probably has valid points, golf though not growing as quickly is still so much bigger than every way than our quickly growing but still very small sport I fear that separating the two facets will not be good for the players in the long term for us.

Golf has tons of money, we don't yet and may never have that degree of backing.

Just curious, what do you mean by "drop in reach?" What do you think accounts for that? Is that just the lack of PDGA promotion of the event, or are there other factors in that?

by "drop in reach" I meant social media impressions (views, clicks, subs, etc...)

My thoughts are that both PT and WT (and many, including myself) underestimated the following of the PDGA. I won't claim to have enough information to nail down a specific culprit, but signs seem to be pointing that way.

More data is needed, 2nd year for each tour will be more revealing.

I know you were addressing Jamie, and I am sure he will have his own thoughts on the matter, but I think there are multiple factors at play for why the A-Tier events had less reach. One is simply that the NTs, by and large, are well-established events - Masters Cup, Beaver State Fling, etc. - that have a certain level of prestige built in. With that prestige came better fields, usually, while in some cases you had top players going to other events or outright skipping the lower-tiered events.

And then, yes, there is the PDGA promotion machine being larger than the other tours at this point. Based on social media alone, the PDGA has about three-to-four times as many followers as the new tours, so the audience is larger from the jump. However, PDGA is pretty helpful when it comes to pushing the younger tours' events, so I don't think that is all to blame.

Mostly, though, I think it is the established events/PDGA name versus newer outlets that make the main difference. It'll be fun to see if that changes this year as the other tours enter their second seasons.

This is a possible explanation, my trouble with outright agreeing 100% are these factors:

2 tournaments that were "unproven" (first year) have videos in the top-10-most-viewed on SpinTV (2015 Aussie Open, 2015 European Open). They didn't have event-specific prestige built in, but they were both PDGA Majors

I don't think depth of talent in the field really factors as much as people think. Only the biggest events (i.e. Worlds) have multiple cards covered with full round videos. I think if you have 2.75 big names on average make the lead card, final round, reach can still be solid. Only top 4 make "TV" for the final round so as long as a couple of known names are there, you're good...

I think you have to have all factors in to really knock it out - well regarded courses, big names, and support from the PDGA. In 5 years, that may be different, but I just don't believe that WT and PT are draws yet. That's not to say they're doing anything wrong necessarily, just that you can't own the sport in one year.

by "drop in reach" I meant social media impressions (views, clicks, subs, etc...)

My thoughts are that both PT and WT (and many, including myself) underestimated the following of the PDGA. I won't claim to have enough information to nail down a specific culprit, but signs seem to be pointing that way.

That's an interesting comment.

So far as this relates to this thread, what type of individual do you think the PDGA will be looking for? Someone dynamic to step in and be more of a Steve Dodge figurehead to drive the PDGA tour forward, or somebody who can step back and work with the other tours? Is there any sort of vibe out there on how the PDGA BoD sees these other tours?

That's an interesting comment.

So far as this relates to this thread, what type of individual do you think the PDGA will be looking for? Someone dynamic to step in and be more of a Steve Dodge figurehead to drive the PDGA tour forward, or somebody who can step back and work with the other tours? Is there any sort of vibe out there on how the PDGA BoD sees these other tours?

As far as the internet stories go, there was some contention between Dodge and the PDGA BOD over the DGPT.

Just read the job posting and requirements, the requirements read almost exactly like my resume does... I still wouldn't touch this job with a 10 foot pole.

How about David Greenwell? I'm not sure if his Prodigy affiliation would be too big of an issue, or if he would even be interested, but he has always impressed me with his professionalism.

Terry Miller please stand up - the only thing I don't know if can/can't do effectively is fund raise. He has strong player relations, an eye for media and a history of event management (Wisco state coordinator for a long time right?). Although I don't think he would want to step away from Smashboxx and the flexibility his current gigs allow for.

This is a possible explanation, my trouble with outright agreeing 100% are these factors:

2 tournaments that were "unproven" (first year) have videos in the top-10-most-viewed on SpinTV (2015 Aussie Open, 2015 European Open). They didn't have event-specific prestige built in, but they were both PDGA Majors

I don't think depth of talent in the field really factors as much as people think. Only the biggest events (i.e. Worlds) have multiple cards covered with full round videos. I think if you have 2.75 big names on average make the lead card, final round, reach can still be solid. Only top 4 make "TV" for the final round so as long as a couple of known names are there, you're good...

I think you have to have all factors in to really knock it out - well regarded courses, big names, and support from the PDGA. In 5 years, that may be different, but I just don't believe that WT and PT are draws yet. That's not to say they're doing anything wrong necessarily, just that you can't own the sport in one year.

With all due respect, I think video coverage has little to nothing to do with growing the sport. Sure engaged disc golfers watch and enjoy coverage, but I would have to believe they are doing very little to do with exposing the sport to non disc golfers. Grass root media, local tournaments and new courses impact new player numbers more than videos...IMO.

Terry Miller please stand up - the only thing I don't know if can/can't do effectively is fund raise. He has strong player relations, an eye for media and a history of event management (Wisco state coordinator for a long time right?). Although I don't think he would want to step away from Smashboxx and the flexibility his current gigs allow for.

I would think there would be a big conflict of interest.

PDGA needs a multi-faceted manager, not a fund raiser. Hopefully growing the pro tour is way down on the priority list for potential hires.

So, what do people think the Board should task the new ED with? I've seen a few simplistic comments, and a few interesting ones. But what direction should we take?

So, what do people think the Board should task the new ED with? I've seen a few simplistic comments, and a few interesting ones. But what direction should we take?

Getting more disc golf in schools. Marketing the game to parents with kids ages 5 to ~15, as a quality competitive sport and alternative to contact sports. Getting baskets to middle/high schools that have some land around them; or even 1 or 2 baskets in at schools with less land.

Additionally, getting mini courses of 3 or 6 baskets, say, in at smaller parks close to (densely populated) residential areas that kids could easily walk to to play.

Real long term growth can come from an investment in tangible disc golf infrastructure, like I briefly described above, and by directing attention towards younger people. Just some quick thoughts.

Getting more disc golf in schools. Marketing the game to parents with kids ages 5 to ~15, as a quality competitive sport and alternative to contact sports. Getting baskets to middle/high schools that have some land around them; or even 1 or 2 baskets in at schools with less land.

Additionally, getting mini courses of 3 or 6 baskets, say, in at smaller parks close to (densely populated) residential areas that kids could easily walk to to play.

Real long term growth can come from an investment in tangible disc golf infrastructure, like I briefly described above, and by directing attention towards younger people. Just some quick thoughts.

I like this thinking. I honestly don't know how it would work without on the ground advocacy, but I agree with the growth model.

More and more parents are pulling their kids from team sports because the environment is so hostile and unfriendly. After five years of competitive soccer, I pulled both my sons. Too many psycho parents and trainers.

Latest posts