• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Memberships

Would you agree if you were just trying to see how your rating is at a particular course, you could just take the average of the SSA's in recent days and use that?

Would you agree if you were just trying to see how your rating is at a particular course, you could just take the average of the SSA's in recent days and use that?
As Three Putt points out the SSA is what players with a PDGA rating of 1000 would be expected to average... on that course... from those tees... under those weather conditions.

So if you're trying to get an approximate rating for yourself then you could average recent SSA's from a course to use as your base SSA value. But if you're seeing/using SSA's that differ by more than a stroke I'd be worried that the you've got apples & oranges in those SSA's and something is different (weather or tees).

You'd need to be careful making those assumptions. Her is an example. It is the SSA's from Mid-Nationals last year. At Mid-Nats, the pools are assigned by ratings breaks and the courses are set up accordingly. So for the Blue pool (advanced) the courses were all in "C" pin placments. When the White pool (intermediate) came to play the same course, ALL of the pins were moved to "B" placements. When the Red/Green/Purple pool was there, ALL pins were moved into the "A" placements. This was done so that the course would be set up to the appropriate skill level for each group.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/course_ratings_by_tournament.php?TournID=6280

So when you look at Sioux Passage, which had all three pools,you can see that the SSA's from red to white set-ups are pretty similar but there is a big change from Blue to White. The SSA from the Blue's to the White's takes a 4.36 stroke plunge. At Endicott, there was a 5.77 stroke difference. At Jefferson Barracks, which did not have the Blue pool, there was a 2.64 difference between White and Red when that difference at Sioux passage was only .37.

Already from the small sample you can see a wide variety of different results from different pin placements. Trying to determine your rating from an SSA history where you don't know how the pins were set up could give you a pretty unreal view of your rating.

As Three Putt points out the SSA is what players with a PDGA rating of 1000 would be expected to average... on that course... from those tees... under those weather conditions.

So if you're trying to get an approximate rating for yourself then you could average recent SSA's from a course to use as your base SSA value. But if you're seeing/using SSA's that differ by more than a stroke I'd be worried that the you've got apples & oranges in those SSA's and something is different (weather or tees).

Sorry ERicJ, I meant to say average "the recent" SSA's and you can see that is what I did in the other thread at post 21 that is working this topic over a bit too. ;) :D

Right, but just because they're recent doesn't mean they're all the same conditions. Different tees, weather, or as Three Putt points out pin placements will all affect SSA values. Unless you know the exact conditions under which the SSA was determined it can be misleading.

I have never played in a PDGA sanctioned event. I was looking forward to receiving a rating, but someone told me that only AM1 gets rated thus if you are playing in AM2 and AM3 you will not get a rating. Does anyone know if this is true? Would it be acceptable for a TD to not submit AM2 and AM3 for ratings?

I have never played in a PDGA sanctioned event. I was looking forward to receiving a rating, but someone told me that only AM1 gets rated thus if you are playing in AM2 and AM3 you will not get a rating. Does anyone know if this is true? Would it be acceptable for a TD to not submit AM2 and AM3 for ratings?
Because you're a PDGA member, as long as there are at least five players rated >799 playing the same course (tees & pin positions) as you then you should get a rating regardless of what division you've entered.

I never joined PDGA membership for the last 12 years. Reasons? Well, for one, I rarely played in PDGA's sanction tournaments. Another main reason of mine is that I did emailed to PDGA and asked them how come they did not include any closed captioned or subtitles in their PDGA' s DVD videos that they are selling.

They (Todd A. Breiner) responded "The PDGA DVD's produced to date do not have closed captioning... I know it has been discussed in the past..." So, they have been putting it off for years and I am not going to join PDGA membership until they become more accessible to everyone. I am sure when we all get older and we will lose some of our hearings and we have no idea what the videos are saying when it happens.

Same thing goes to Innova and Discraft's videos as well. I am very curious to learn more about Discraft's disc golf clinic that I saw on YouTube.com but its not accessible for me or any other people who wishes to watched with subtitles or captioning.

One other thing, the PDGA's players' ratings, what a headaches! I could be a better player than other player at certain courses. So, when the outside visitors played badly at the course and gets bad ratings. They rather to marking it off with "999" to preserve their high ratings that they have been earning from their own home courses. So, what's the point for having ratings? Is it for bragging rights?

I might be wrong and speaking off the track on this one but this is what I have seen when I attend the PDGA's tournaments which, of course I had to pay extra 10 bucks for it.

:rolleyes:

I will say this much, I watch almost everything with CC. It is just too informative not too. I loved that KING KONG came to our theater and they had it in CC. That was awesome. Anyway, I do understand your frustration.

One other thing, the PDGA's players' ratings, what a headaches! I could be a better player than other player at certain courses. So, when the outside visitors played badly at the course and gets bad ratings. They rather to marking it off with "999" to preserve their high ratings that they have been earning from their own home courses. So, what's the point for having ratings? Is it for bragging rights?
'999' is the value recorded when a player doesn't finish a round, or for rounds not played at all in a multi-round tournament.

Because you're a PDGA member, as long as there are at least five players rated >799 playing the same course (tees & pin positions) as you then you should get a rating regardless of what division you've entered.

Thanks for this info Eric!

I got my PDGA package in the mail today! The disc was a black 174g Stratus with a gold PDGA stamp and I was surprised to see my PDGA# printed onto the mini.

Yeah I got my package in pretty good time as well. If you are one who likes that little personal stuff like having your PDGA # on things and whatnot...then I would suggest you spend the $10 and buy the bag tag that is in the PDGA store. It's very well made and has your name and pdga # embossed/engraved on it. It's pretty nice and well worth the $10 in my opinion.

Now if they can just get the damn magazine company to get it together :)

Latest posts