• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to definitely continue to recommend the book We Are Our Brains by D.F. Swaab - a brilliant neurobiologist and the head of the Netherlands Institute for Brain Research for over two decades.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20260137-we-are-our-brains

The key takeaway from this book is just how important the brain is to our identity as an organ. I can not see how a chromosome or genitalia could possibly be more important than the brain as the nexus for personhood. Some of the primary critiques of the book insist upon the idea that the neurochemical signaling in the nervous system (primarily the central nervous system) is somehow separate from the actuality of the mind - but as yet there is no evidence that this is so. All evidence thus far points to our being as tied up in our neurochemistry. What we perceive as the "mind" is in its wholeness the neurochemical interactions of our physicality.

This is who we are, and that is more relevant than any other physical attributes we may possess.

Descartes catches another L

You try to sound hard when in reality youre not. Thats why what you posted was so laughable.

Being that you don't know me, you wouldn't know whether or not I'm hard. Since we'll never meet each other, you can pretend whatever you want. No skin off my back.

I bet you find them often. Anyone with a differing opinion, right? :wall:

No, actually. Remember that comment a few back where I was lambasting conservatives for not speaking up when the extremists took control? Did you notice the part about all my conservative friends?

See, unlike bigots, I can actually interact with people I disagree with, without getting angry about it.

When I call someone a bigot, they've earned the term, by expressing hate, disgust, or a sentiment of superiority towards a marginalized group.

If I come across someone and they disagree about whether or not it is appropriate that I continue to be allowed to exist? You're damn right I'm gonna call them a bigot, and they're going to be ranting angrily about me for days afterwards. :D

Some of the primary critiques of the book insist upon the idea that the neurochemical signaling in the nervous system (primarily the central nervous system) is somehow separate from the actuality of the mind - but as yet there is no evidence that this is so. All evidence thus far points to our being as tied up in our neurochemistry. What we perceive as the "mind" is in its wholeness the neurochemical interactions of our physicality.

Oooo! ooo! I've got one for this! It's one of my favorite bits of info, when people treat it like being trans is just a choice. There is actually a fair bit of research that has been done, taking MRI and fMRI scans of transgender brains, and comparing them to similar scans in cisgender individuals! It turns out that there is an anatomical component, beyond just neurochemistry at play! And, the science is repeatable (and has been repeated)!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180524112351.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8955456/

I'm rather proud of making bigots storm off in a huff. It's something of a hobby of mine. A game I play, anywhere I find them.
You're damn right I'm gonna call them a bigot, and they're going to be ranting angrily about me for days afterwards. :D
If half the stuff that's been said in this thread were said to my face, people would've left in tears from what I said to them. <3

I don't really post on forums normally, so forgive me that.

Reading through this Epic and coming to the end, the above posts jumped out at me, compared to this one.

Isn't it sad that the conservative existence focuses solely on winning, not what is being won, or how, or at what cost, or whether it's worth winning? The rest of the planet is actually living, and those poor souls are just angry that they aren't totally on top of everyone else... :clap:

I can't help but feel like there's a high degree of irony here...

I don't really post on forums normally, so forgive me that.

Reading through this Epic and coming to the end, the above posts jumped out at me, compared to this one.

I can't help but feel like there's a high degree of irony here...

You don't know me, so let me give you some background as to why I take sport in driving off bigots.

Being trans, a lot of people judge me on sight. Last year, one of them put me in the hospital, because he found my existence disgusting, and while I was trying to resolve the issue non-violently, he got the upper hand when he sucker punched me from behind (and then another 20 or so times, as I tried to get back up from being staggered). I vowed to myself never to let someone like that come at me unopposed, or with the other cheek turned, again.

I don't WANT to have to do that - but these transphobes and bigots refuse to just let me live my life in peace. So, when it all comes down to dust, zero tolerance for intolerance.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "winning", and everything to do with increasing my chance of survival, so I don't end up just another name on the list for the Transgender Day of Remembrance. Easiest way to do that, is to make sure they're the one that turns their back and leaves.

You don't know me, so let me give you some background as to why I take sport in driving off bigots.

Being trans, a lot of people judge me on sight. Last year, one of them put me in the hospital, because he found my existence disgusting, and while I was trying to resolve the issue non-violently, he got the upper hand when he sucker punched me from behind (and then another 20 or so times, as I tried to get back up from being staggered). I vowed to myself never to let someone like that come at me unopposed, or with the other cheek turned, again.

I don't WANT to have to do that - but these transphobes and bigots refuse to just let me live my life in peace. So, when it all comes down to dust, zero tolerance for intolerance.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "winning", and everything to do with increasing my chance of survival, so I don't end up just another name on the list for the Transgender Day of Remembrance. Easiest way to do that, is to make sure they're the one that turns their back and leaves.

And, lest you think I'm talking about getting violent - no thanks. I never start physical altercations. I will defend myself, but thus far I have been successful in aggravating both transphobic and racist bigots into walking away, when they were trying to hate on me, or the black friend I was with.

Remember that comment a few back where I was lambasting conservatives for not speaking up when the extremists took control?

I do and it was just as ridiculous then as it is now.

See, unlike bigots, I can actually interact with people I disagree with, without getting angry about it.

When I call someone a bigot, they've earned the term, by expressing hate, disgust, or a sentiment of superiority towards a marginalized group.

If I come across someone and they disagree about whether or not it is appropriate that I continue to be allowed to exist? You're damn right I'm gonna call them a bigot, and they're going to be ranting angrily about me for days afterwards. :D

Who in here has disagreed about whether or not you should be allowed to exist? No one that I can tell. Seems you're suffering from some type of persecutory delusion here and I feel bad for you.

Conservatives: *build an entire genre of comedy around the way that male and female brains are different*

Also conservatives: "NO WAY CAN THE BRAIN BE A SEXED ORGAN! YOUR GENDER IS WHATS IN YOUR PANTS!"

Strawman much?

Who in here has disagreed about whether or not you should be allowed to exist? No one that I can tell. Seems you're suffering from some type of persecutory delusion here and I feel bad for you.

Are you completely incapable of connecting two stories? Considering multiple thoughts? Do you lack object permanence? Seriously... the 8 year old hanging out at my place made the connection. How can't you?

Are you so fixated on me calling you a bigot, that there is no room in your head for the concept that there could be any other person on the planet that I could be talking about?

You're spare parts, aren't ya bud?

Are you completely incapable of connecting two stories? Considering multiple thoughts? Do you lack object permanence? Seriously... the 8 year old hanging out at my place made the connection. How can't you?

Are you so fixated on me calling you a bigot, that there is no room in your head for the concept that there could be any other person on the planet that I could be talking about?

You're spare parts, aren't ya bud?

I don't think you've ever called me a bigot unless you're calling me one now?

I'm only talking about this thread and what's been said here, I'm not talking about what you've gone through in your personal life. No need to get pissy with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.