• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Tournament Option

Stable

* Ace Member *
I would like to have an option available at PDGA tournaments where I don't have to pay an entry fee. Here is my stance:

- I have no interest in a player's pack. I don't need a tournament t-shirt and standard issue DX Roc.

- I have no interest in winning disc golf gear. I have enough discs. I do not like having to go elbow to elbow with other AM's trying to grab at plastic after a tournament. I am satisfied with buying my gear online where I can pick exactly what I want instead of being subject to whatever happens to be available at a tourney.

- I have no interest in "padding" the pro purse. Why do I care if they make money when I'm not competing for the chance to win any?

I just want to enter into competition with people at my skill level. Why do I have to cough up $40 - $60 just to enter into formal competition? I am willing to pay for my once a year PDGA membership. If I do that, I should have the option to just simply sign up for PDGA events without having to pay any more $. Anyone else feel this way?

Remember, amongst other things, that the TD - for a PDGA tournament - has to pay (to the PDGA) a "per player fee", and thus your not paying the TD would strap him/her of this cost.

You're forgetting that there are also fees of about $2-5 a head that go to the PDGA that come out of your entry fee. There are also only five people allowed on a card at PDGA events. If the TD gives you one of those spots that could otherwise go to a paying customer, the TD doesn't get any return for that spot. There is also the sad reality that the markup on merch for Ams, (whether through players packs, payout or a combination of both) is what keeps the TD's finances in the black, if it does so at all.

If you want to enjoy this sport at little to no cost, its very accommodating in that regard. Unsanctioned tournaments, leagues, and casual play all can offer you that. But you can't expect a TD to just give you a spot at a PDGA event that someone else is willing to pay for. Particularly when said event fills up well in advance.

Its not a horrible idea.......just not practical. If the PDGA were to offer free tournaments to members then the annual membership fee would ultimately have to increase to cover all the costs for that td to run the tournament. If your annual membership fee went up to say 200 a year then you would probably start a thread talking about how you don't like that. Or you might complain that you only played 2 "free" tournaments and Joe Golfer played 20 "free" tournaments so why should you have to pay the same as Joe Golfer?

My advice to you would be to find some golfers around your skill level and play a casual round.

Sounds like league play to me. Lots of different leagues around, from plain fun to competitive. Or even some non sanctioned tournaments are more designed for the casual competitor.

Perhaps it should be pointed out that the PDGA doesn't run tournaments.

In the meantime, I'm giving the O.P. the benefit of the doubt that this is satire.

Perhaps it should be pointed out that the PDGA doesn't run tournaments.

In the meantime, I'm giving the O.P. the benefit of the doubt that this is satire.

:D Oh I'm completely serious. I've never run a tournament of any kind. I don't know the logistics and costs of running PDGA tournaments. Just an Intermediate/Advanced player tired of coughing up lots of money to play in formal competitions. I want to compete but it just doesn't make financial sense.

I want to compete but it just doesn't make financial sense.
I wanted to go to a Fleetwood Mac concert back in April, but it didn't make financial sense to pay $125-200 off of Stubhub for scalped tickets. So I didn't buy. A deer jumping out in front of my car after midnight about ten days before that show made the decision not to get tickets a wise one, but that's for another rant.

I'm not sure why some people think they're entitled to Neiman Marcus treatment for Wal-Mart prices (or in this case free) for a discretionary product or service.

:D Oh I'm completely serious. I've never run a tournament of any kind. I don't know the logistics and costs of running PDGA tournaments. Just an Intermediate/Advanced player tired of coughing up lots of money to play in formal competitions. I want to compete but it just doesn't make financial sense.

Unfortunately, it makes even less financial sense for someone else to put in a ton of hours and spend a lot of money for you to play for free.

This is a ridiculous thread. If you don't want to pay to play in tournaments, then YOU try to go out and get 10-100 other like-minded DG'ers, try to secure a course, make sure all the rules are followed...oh, and you should probably make sure to make the whole experience fun for everyone.

Just go play in a league...or get a better job so the buyins don't seem like such a burden.

There are a lot of tournament costs that have to come from somewhere, whether that's from entry fees or the markup on players' packs and payouts. The PDGA fees also cover insurance for the event, so you can't just opt out of that. You're basically saying that the time and money that goes into building the PDGA infrastructure and setting up your local events is meaningless to you, which is just fine, but then you should be playing casual rounds not expecting a tournament experience for free.

I'm not sure why some people think they're entitled to Neiman Marcus treatment for Wal-Mart prices (or in this case free) for a discretionary product or service.

^^^
THIS.

Disc golf lends itself to casual players by virtue of the kind tax-payers of these United States who employ Parks Departments who, through their own time and effort, build courses on which we're allowed to play, for the most part, for free. If someone who wants to capitalize on the fact that another group of like-minded individuals has gathered enough throwers to consolidate and create an organizing body to govern our sport on a national level and offer competitive tournaments for ratings, prizes, and for the lucky few cash, it's going to cost money.

I think C-tier events with low entry fees (sans player packs, mind you) would go a long way to scratching your itch, brother.

My best option is to stop playing organized disc golf, it appears.

My best option is to stop playing organized disc golf, it appears.
Your best option is to realize that there's a lot of middle ground between a sanctioned event and nothing. I'm sure there's a lot of ball golfers in the world who wished they had that luxury.

Of course, if $5 for your weekly mini is going to break the bank, I suppose that could be your best option.

Practice, Get better, Go Open, Win Money, Cover All Your Costs

Practice, Get better, Go Open, Win Money, Cover All Your Costs

I'm nine years in and I fit right in the Intermediate/Advanced grey area. Not likely to be dominating Open any time soon but it is the right mentality to have.

- I have no interest in "padding" the pro purse. Why do I care if they make money when I'm not competing for the chance to win any?

To me, this is the silliest point. If you don't want a chance to win, then don't play. By entering a competition (that's what a tournament is, you realize?), you are literally competing. Whether you are seriously interested in winning or not, that's what you agree to when you decide to play.

What a dumb point.

Latest posts