• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA: Why did you join? (or choose not to)

I support all local clubs with money and time. I don't play on Sundays, and almost all sanctioned events around here are 2 day Sat. and Sun. events. I just can't justify the expense. I play in tournaments almost monthly. However only the major tournaments around here are sanctioned. Probably 3 per year in my state. So no PDGA membership for me.

From where do you get that local tournaments in Kansas City have more pull than PDGA sanctioning? Most of the tournaments with a larger attendance there happen to be sanctioned, just like they are anywhere else.

Unsanctioned events on the KCFDC Calendar (offical or tentative)
KC Ice Bowl
Swope Spring Renewal
KC Disc Golf Day
Discing against Child Abuse
Faith, Love, Hope, Win

Sanctioned events on the KCFDC Calendar (offical or tentative)
Kan-U-WyCo
KC Wide Open

We have a lot more unsanctioned events than sanctioned events in KC. This is just the 1st half of the KC schedule.

Like several others have mentioned, I join because I play a fair number of tournaments and really enjoy them. They are not for everyone, so if you are on the fence, go ahead and pay the $10.00 temp fee and see if they are right for you or not. Then decide if it's worth joining or not.

Unsanctioned events on the KCFDC Calendar (offical or tentative)
KC Ice Bowl
Swope Spring Renewal
KC Disc Golf Day
Discing against Child Abuse
Faith, Love, Hope, Win

Sanctioned events on the KCFDC Calendar (offical or tentative)
Kan-U-WyCo
KC Wide Open

We have a lot more unsanctioned events than sanctioned events in KC. This is just the 1st half of the KC schedule.
Yeah, but I'm sure lots of DG "mecca" locales have a healthy unsanctioned tourney scene for their locals.

Thing is both your sanctioned events for this year filled last year and probably would have sold more spots had more courses been made available. There also used to be a number of C tiers that have fallen by the wayside. I don't think the problem was any repudiation against sanctioning as it was trying to get people to run them because everyone up there was burned out after Worlds.

Of course, it does explain why a lot of Kansas City players who are PDGA members show up for sanctioned events in Topeka, Columbia, Emporia, and even Wichita.

Why, that is all you got? Here is the Atlanta sanctioned and unsanctioned list thus far and it is WAY early (probably about 50%):

JAN 15-16th - Savannah Open - B-Tier - Savannah, GA
JAN 29th - IDGC Ice Bowl - C-Tier - Appling, GA
FEB 5th - 4th Annual Charity Tourney@ Perkerson Park - C-Tier - Atlanta, GA
FEB 12th - GSSS Event #1 Wills Park - C-Tier – Alpharetta, GA
MAR 12th - Meeks Madness - C-Tier - Blairsville, GA
MAR 26th - GSSS Event #2 White Oak - C-Tier – Dallas, GA
APR 16-17th - Atlanta Open A-tier - JP Moseley & FlyBoy Aviation - ATL area, GA
APR 23-24th - Dogfest - C-Tier - Wills Park - Alpharetta, GA
APR 30-MAY 1st - Hall of Fame Classic - A-Tier -Appling, GA
MAY 7th - GSSS Event #3 McCurry Park - C-Tier – Fayetteville, GA
MAY 7th-8th - WOMEN ONLY - Flyboy Aviation - C-Tier - Whitesburg, GA
MAY 22nd - Eagle Eye Open - Haywood Valley DGC (PRIVATE COURSE)- C-Tier – Rome, GA
JUN 4-5th - Kan Jam Disc Golf Tournament - B-Tier - Appling, GA
JUN 11th - Bethlehem Blind hog throw down - Bethlehem First United Methodist Church & Fort Yargo - C-Tier - Winder, GA
JUN 18th - GSSS Event #4 Meeks Park - C-Tier – Blairsville, GA
JUL 30th - GSSS Event #5 Haywood Valley DGC (PRIVATE COURSE)- C-Tier – Rome, GA
AUG 20-21st - Global Disc Golf Tournament - B-Tier - Appling, GA
SEPT 10-11th - GSSS Event #6 12th Annual Lake Russell Open - Elberton, GA
SEPT 23-25th - TBD - IDGC Large Event (possibly Major) - Appling, GA
OCT 15-16th - Magnolia Open - IDGC - B-Tier - Appling, GA
OCT 29th - Fright Flight doubles - XC Tier - JP Moseley - Stockbridge, GA
NOV 12th - Gwinett County Open - Lenora & Alexander Parks - ?-Tier - Gwinett County, GA
NOV 19th - Pam B Childs Memorial - C-Tier - Appling, GA

Jan 29th - Junior Series Event #1 - Wills Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Feb 19th - 2011 Ice Bowl - Oregon Park - Marietta, GA
Feb 26th - Junior Series Event #2 - Oregon Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Feb 26th - Monty Dubs VIII - Deer Ridge (the Monty) - Monticello, GA
Mar 6th - Disccaddie Series #1 (Seqouyah)
Mar 19th - Junior Series Event #3 - Alexander Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Mar 19th - Georgia Tech Invitational Collegiate Tourney - Perkerson Park - Atlanta, GA
Mar 19th - Moonlight Classic III - Claystone Park - Macon, GA
Apr 30th - Junior Series Event #4 - East Roswell Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
May 15th - Disccaddie Series #2 - East Roswell Park
May 28th - Junior Series Event #5 - Wills Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Jun 25th - Junior Series Event #6 - Redan Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
July 17th -Disccaddie Series #3 - Perkerson Park
July 23rd - Junior Series Event #7 - Lenora Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Aug 6th - Alexander Arial Armada III - Alexander Park - Lawrenceville, GA
Aug 27th - Junior Series Event #8 - East Roswell Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Sept 17th or Oct 1st - Disccaddie Series #4 (TBD)
Sept 24th - Junior Series Event #9 - Sequoyah Park - (Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Oct 22nd - Junior Series Event FINALE - Oregon Park -(Please note that dates may change due to course availability.)
Dec 4th - Cold Snake Classic - Sequoyah Park - Woodstock, GA

Yeah, but I'm sure lots of DG "mecca" locales have a healthy unsanctioned tourney scene for their locals.

Thing is both your sanctioned events for this year filled last year and probably would have sold more spots had more courses been made available. There also used to be a number of C tiers that have fallen by the wayside. I don't think the problem was any repudiation against sanctioning as it was trying to get people to run them because everyone up there was burned out after Worlds.

Of course, it does explain why a lot of Kansas City players who are PDGA members show up for sanctioned events in Topeka, Columbia, Emporia, and even Wichita.

We have had a problem finding a new batch of people to step up and run new events. I know that the Mighty MO was on the calendar in years past, but isn't now. The Western Front was also sanctioned last year, but it's going to a 3 course in 1 day event, and that's a bit gimmicky for a pdga event. I've heard people talk about the Sunburn Open (which I tried to bring back last year), but I wouldn't call that an established event; Jack held it one year in 2007.

I think people assume the KC has a large amount of PDGA players in it's golfing population. I think this number is smaller than people think. We have around 200 people a week out for leagues, and I bet around 1/4 of them are current PDGA members. If a club's job is to cater to it's golfing population, then PDGA events aren't what the majority of people in KC want to see.

What other long-running events have you seen fall by the wayside?

Why, that is all you got? Here is the Atlanta sanctioned and unsanctioned list thus far and it is WAY early (probably about 50%):

That's all we have through the Wide Open (in June).

We also run 9 leagues a week. So our "series" happen during week.

April 1 - September 30

26 weeks x 9 leagues = 234 separate events. I didn't feel like writing out the whole calendar, but you get the idea.

Check the Master MFA schedule for the Twin Cities and a fair amount of Minnesota so far:
http://mnfrisbee.ning.com/page/master-calendar-of-events
Purple events are PDGA, green are unsanctioned and the rest are league listings. The biggest league in the World, Sundog on Tuesdays, and some others aren't even listed yet. There are almost no open dates any more and some of those listings like the Moondog on Tuesdays during winter are at night.

Where do you live?

Sorry it took so long to reply. I live in the Ogden Utah area. We have the creekside open, the riverpark open and the full throttle tournament at solitude ski resort that are all sanctioned. They are also all 2 day events. Other than that all of the monthly events that get run are unsanctioned. We have a very healthy local club. I support them. With money and time.

Latest posts