• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Permanent Baskets in Hawaii?!?!

Script

Eagle Member
I just did some research on Hawaii courses and it seems to be very rare to have permanent baskets at courses. Also, teepads are always natural and guides are often required.

Does anybody have more info on this? Is it purely an expense that can't be covered? I guess it would probably cost almost double for the baskets to be sent to the islands.

Had a friend move there about a year ago. Moved back 6 months later. If you are from the mainland you are NOT welcome if you MOVE there. Visiting is find, we'll take your money..now get out.
Friend of a friend has been living there for 30 years...still an "Outsider".
Guess its a GREAT place to visit, wouldnt want to LIVE there.

From what I've heard in the past and know about Hawaiian development, there are several laws and statutes in place that hinder permanent courses. I don't believe permanent baskets and teeboxes are allowed in Hawaiian state parks, and with a large portion of the islands being parks, that pretty much shuts the whole thing down.

I think what you say is part of it, but I also think that a lot has to do with the price of land out there. Land is a serious commodity, and if it don't make money.......well you know. It would probably take a serious effort through their parks and rec. department to get something permanent put into one of the public areas there.

From what I've heard in the past and know about Hawaiian development, there are several laws and statutes in place that hinder permanent courses. I don't believe permanent baskets and teeboxes are allowed in Hawaiian state parks, and with a large portion of the islands being parks, that pretty much shuts the whole thing down.

This is more what I'm curious about. It seems like local clubs bring out baskets, but only for tournaments. I'll bet those courses play way more fun with baskets in em!

Had a friend move there about a year ago. Moved back 6 months later. If you are from the mainland you are NOT welcome if you MOVE there. Visiting is find, we'll take your money..now get out.
Friend of a friend has been living there for 30 years...still an "Outsider".
Guess its a GREAT place to visit, wouldnt want to LIVE there.

I lived and worked there for quite some time and never felt like an outsider. I think some places are better to live than others but that goes with most places. So yeh id like to correct you and say its a great place to visit AND live! haha

You only get one life, and if Hawaii is in the cards, you just gotta play the hand.

It sounds like it's mostly a bunch of red tape and permitting issues, but that's still speculation. My own island... that sounds boring. If you have a sweet dg course you need people to play it!

You only get one life, and if Hawaii is in the cards, you just gotta play the hand.

It sounds like it's mostly a bunch of red tape and permitting issues, but that's still speculation. My own island... that sounds boring. If you have a sweet dg course you need people to play it!

Boring? :confused:

I'd love to have my own island and design a disc golf course using the ocean as an OB line on at least a few holes.

That would be a great place to host tournaments, leagues, whatever.....

Finally, on my island.......no chuckers allowed!!!

Guess it's time to get back to reality....:mad:

Yeah I just can't extricate any form of "boring" from "owning your own 144 square mile Hawaiian Island". I think I'd have about 5 - 6 championship level courses.

Yeah I just can't extricate any form of "boring" from "owning your own 144 square mile Hawaiian Island". I think I'd have about 5 - 6 championship level courses.

I totally can...

3,102 (2010)
Lanai, Population

MAYBE 10 people have played some sort of dg. So you have a huge island with a hobby you enjoy and nobody to share it with. I enjoy playing dg with people a lot more than without. I would get bored.

I totally can...

3,102 (2010)
Lanai, Population

MAYBE 10 people have played some sort of dg. So you have a huge island with a hobby you enjoy and nobody to share it with. I enjoy playing dg with people a lot more than without. I would get bored.

Make some friends and show em what DG is all about! I can't imagine that a bunch of surfers wouldn't also enjoy disc golf! I wouldn't complain anyway...

I totally can...

3,102 (2010)
Lanai, Population

This is a serious question....no sarcasm here.

Do you play disc golf to impress your friends or do you play "for the love of the game"?

FWIW, I enjoy my time with other people at leagues, tournaments and casual rounds, I have just as much fun on the courses when it is just me and the dog.

Currently here in Charlotte, if you go to a weekly, you get to hang out with 60 of your friends. I'm not good enough to impress anybody, but there is nothing like friendly competition.

I've played hundreds, if not, thousands of solo rounds. I enjoy disc golf way more when others are throwing as well. Currently though, I can't wait to get healed up, so a solo round would be just as good.

Love of the game! I could only imagine getting up, watching the sun rise and throwing a drive over the ocean. But I just feel like it wouldn't be as good if you couldn't share it with someone after a while.

If you have the money to buy an island you could easily afford to pay some of your disc golf buddies to landscape, be your greens keepers, and live with you.

Currently here in Charlotte, if you go to a weekly, you get to hang out with 60 of your friends. I'm not good enough to impress anybody, but there is nothing like friendly competition.

I've played hundreds, if not, thousands of solo rounds. I enjoy disc golf way more when others are throwing as well. Currently though, I can't wait to get healed up, so a solo round would be just as good.

Love of the game! I could only imagine getting up, watching the sun rise and throwing a drive over the ocean. But I just feel like it wouldn't be as good if you couldn't share it with someone after a while.
I also enjoy the "friendly competition" that a weekly league provides....I guess I would trade that in more quickly for a private island course than others. :D

However, it would not be a situation where I would be totally secluded from the rest of society. I was also thinking about something along these lines......
If you have the money to buy an island you could easily afford to pay some of your disc golf buddies to landscape, be your greens keepers, and live with you.

I know several people who would jump at an opportunity to move to an island with a top notch disc golf course and work the land, course, etc in exchange for shelter and the opportunity to play until your arm falls off ;)

I also enjoy the "friendly competition" that a weekly league provides....I guess I would trade that in more quickly for a private island course than others. :D

However, it would not be a situation where I would be totally secluded from the rest of society. I was also thinking about something along these lines......

I know several people who would jump at an opportunity to move to an island with a top notch disc golf course and work the land, course, etc in exchange for shelter and the opportunity to play until your arm falls off ;)

Let me know when you're hiring :D

Maui has a couple with permanent baskets. The new 18 hole course is close to the airport and I'd assume it's finished. I was there in June and it was very close to being finished.

So I take the inactivity to mean that really, we're not sure what the reasons are that Hawaii's courses are mostly private / or target only?