• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Philadelphia - Sedgley Woods

mytern

Don't know if many people are from around here or have made their way to the course. But the past few months we have been replacing the fly pads with cement pavers. Coming along very nicely. All 18 amateur tees were done prior to new years day which was the goal for the big party day. Since then a lot more have been done, if not all. I wasn't able to help with a lot of those so I can't give an update on how far along they are. These new tees are a great improvement from the fly pads or just dirt tees. If you're nearby check them out if you haven't already

They are truly a great upgrade to this old course. We bought enough cement pavers to do all 3 tees on all 27 holes eventually.

IMG_07831.jpg

IMG_07821.jpg

$0.99 each at Lowe's, 49 pavers per box plus the wooden frame and crushed gravel
as a base.

Beat me to the picture lol. Just took one today of 2. Was out a little this morning before tags. Wanted to take more pictures but I was distracted trying not to fall on the ice and snow between shots

Now all we have to do is get Tinnicum some teepads:doh:

Those look great! Haven't played Sedge in a few months now...looks like I have an excuse to throw there soon:)

IMG_07831.jpg

IMG_07821.jpg

$0.99 each at Lowe's, 49 pavers per box plus the wooden frame and crushed gravel
as a base.
price aint terrible.. calling a cement truck to pour all 18 at one time would be similarly priced. Truck accessibility may prevent that. I haven't played the course. Look good tho.. played two courses today with slop slop slop for teepads .. not fun.

Any concern that over the years the pavers will become uneven, making run ups difficult if not dangerous?

No I don't think so. The pavers are just placed in after tampering and screening. Any future maintenance should be very easy. Granted its only been a few months since the first few were done but they seem to be holding up pretty well. It's a heavily played course too, any areas needing work would be brought up and done quick I would think. A lot of great dedicated people who just want the best golf experience for anyone there

Last edited:
We only really used sand for filling in the cracks once the pavers were laid down. The lower layers were a fine gravel/sand mix that was under the previous fly pads. I can get dimensions next time I'm out, I didn't help with any wood cutting so I'm not sure the exact sizes. Haven't been out much with this **** weather. I'm guessing the amount of gravel/sand you would need per pad depends on how the tee box frames sit. Obviously the more space you need to fill to make the pavers flush, the more you will need

What happened to the old fly pads? Were they beyond usefulness? If not were they donated to another course?

Not sure what they plan on yet. When I went out last weekend they still had them to the side. Quite a few were no good anymore but there definitely were some good ones too. I know Stafford in nj is expanding to 18 if they haven't already, I may have over heard people mentioning something set up with them but I could be wrong. Sedgley and Stafford are having a tournament together soon, play one course then head to the other.

Stafford did get a few, been so much snow/ice recently we'll look again soon. Problem over at Stafford is so many holes/tees are in the woods that those flypads won't work too good as they like sunlight & dry out better in a field. We actually have enough flypads now for every tee that will be in the fields.

I'm thinking of doing something very similar at Stafford for every tee that will be in the wood - - as soon as the back 9 baskets get in the ground.... Those 9 baskets are ordered, and fairways are close, but the tee pads are laggin behind at Stafford.
Sedge did a very nice job, and I'll definately be doing something similar at Stafford.

I played sedge for the first time about a month ago, so I have no basis for comparison, but the tee pads are excellent those guys are doing a great job. Thinking about doing that to the ridiculously crappy tee pads at Mercer, once we get the go ahead. $.99 a piece really isn't bad.

And Adam, Stafford is one of my favorite local courses, I can't wait till you guys get the back 9 in. I want to try to get out for some work days in the spring, I love the south Jersey crew, wish I lived closer lol.

Latest posts