• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Philo Brathwaite ITB 2016

But quite a few players have all the time in the world to pontificate over what molds they think their missing, browse charts, search threads and then talk themselves into buying for an artificial dreamed need. In that same amount of time they could have just learned a few molds really well and probably would have quite a few in different states of wear for their time.

Different strokes for different folks. Some get better, others keep chasing discs.

Bingo

One can never carry too many. :)

Seriously, I get what you are saying. But seven Rocs, five Destroyers, couple of Teebirds and Firebirds, four putters... that's 20 discs. Fewer molds, but no real difference than an understable mold, stable mold, overstable mold in four speed levels plus some putters, etc. different ways of getting to a complete bag...

What are the rules for PDGA tournament/pro level play? Do you register your bag's disc make-up before each match, and you can only use discs that you tell them about?
I think he said something like, if he loses a disc in the drink, he will always have another predictable disc to take its place.
So if a player drowns a disc, is that disc officially out of play, or can they reel it out and keep using it, etc.
Maybe tourney rules are a reason to have so many discs if you are essentially packing a bag for the entire tournament of however many holes, rounds, days, conditions, etc.

But quite a few players have all the time in the world to pontificate over what molds they think their missing, browse charts, search threads and then talk themselves into buying for an artificial dreamed need. In that same amount of time they could have just learned a few molds really well and probably would have quite a few in different states of wear for their time.

Different strokes for different folks. Some get better, others keep chasing discs.

This times a million.

I'd like to find an over stable classic aviar or two. All the ones I have all started out pretty much just straight stable fliers. No real hard fade, they can hold a hyzer sure, but not over stable.

Finding a couple of those would be nice!

What are the rules for PDGA tournament/pro level play? Do you register your bag's disc make-up before each match, and you can only use discs that you tell them about?
I think he said something like, if he loses a disc in the drink, he will always have another predictable disc to take its place.
So if a player drowns a disc, is that disc officially out of play, or can they reel it out and keep using it, etc.
Maybe tourney rules are a reason to have so many discs if you are essentially packing a bag for the entire tournament of however many holes, rounds, days, conditions, etc.

I think what Philo meant was that he has enough redundancy in his bag to overcome losing a disc.

As to the rules: At the Japan Open, where all discs must be 159.9 grams or less, they are weighed before tournament play. Where no such weight requirements exist, the only rules are PDGA-legal (satisfied by nearly all production discs), and marked so that the players can identify it's theirs.

If a player drives with a disc and then is called for a foot fault, he may not retrieve the disc he threw (at that time), but must throw another one. He can retrieve the errant-throw disc afterwards as play continues. I think that happened to Wisocky at the Worlds one or two years ago.

Oderwise, a player can always retrieve a disc, but must do so within time limits so as not to be called for a time fault. So they usually get their disc back after completing the hole (again, Wisocky overthrew in Round 1 of the Vibram this year and went into the lake; the camera caught him fishing out his disc after he'd completed the hole).

Only way I started to improve was when I narrowed down to a few molds and just learned to throw those molds.

On another note, I would love to buy some of Philo's stash of understable rocs. You know he has tons.

If a player drives with a disc and then is called for a foot fault, he may not retrieve the disc he threw (at that time), but must throw another one. He can retrieve the errant-throw disc afterwards as play continues. I think that happened to Wisocky at the Worlds one or two years ago.

Nope. This is not a rule.

...Fewer molds, but no real difference than an understable mold, stable mold, overstable mold...
Nah, there's a big difference. You just don't have the same mold/disc familiarity with an understable disc out of the box as you would with an overstable disc that you've thrown until it gets straight and then flippy.

Not that it can work with understable out of the box discs, but there's definitely a difference,

discs only have to be PDGA approved and marked yours (method is not specified). so you could buy a new one during a round, mark it with a sharpie and ready to throw.
I believe this is wrong....you can loose stuff during a round but you can"t add ...youd have to replace it between rounds

I believe this is wrong....you can loose stuff during a round but you can"t add ...youd have to replace it between rounds

Incorrect. You can buy one, ask a buddy for one, get one from your car (if you can do it within allotted time), or pick one up out of the weeds and use it. There is no rule requiring you to wait until the end of the round to add discs to your bag.

Never seen Philo play till I watched some of the Beaver State Fling this weekend. Wow, really like his style of play and attitude on the course. Like his bag too, a lot of time put into it.

Belief is one thing, and then there are rules. Should have posted link already in the first message, sorry. I try to do that whenever discussing PDGA rules just so that its official and "I thought that" information is not disseminated any further.
http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/801-general/80102-discs-used-in-play

Hit google with pdga rules (insert your concern here) and you will very often get what you are looking for. Not trying to sound snobby (though I am sure it may look like it) but I just dont know why more people dont do this and instead rely on word of mouth. Smart phones these days, you can do it in the middle of a round too if unsure about something.

About retrieving a thrown disc to re-throw... do it in 30 seconds or less its okay

Finally got to watch this and it has got to be the simplest pro bag setup I've ever seen. Looks really nice.

One thing that I was wondering though was his putters. Is he really throwing his putting putters?

You forgot to put the D in PDGA when you did your rules search.

Interesting addendum, you can share discs with anyone you'd like, so long as it's identifiably marked. It'd be interesting to see a team strategy like that in a singles tournament ...

One thing that I was wondering though was his putters. Is he really throwing his putting putters?

Not very often. He does throw his putters occasionally, but mostly he uses his rocs for everything, including his short approaches.

Not very often. He does throw his putters occasionally, but mostly he uses his rocs for everything, including his short approaches.

Yeah, you're right. I vaguely recall watching a previous Philo ITB where he talked about not really liking to throw putters. Seems like he does throw them now occasionally, but I still think he's mostly throwing Rocs even for approaches.

Latest posts