• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Philo Style 5 Molds

SaROCaM

Double Eagle Member
The thread about Philo's 5 mold bag got me thinking about what a similar setup would be for other brands. For each manufacturer, which 5 molds would be comparable?

Innova: Aviar, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, Destroyer

One that's obvious:

Legacy - clozer, ghost, rival, enemy, outlaw

And obscure:

Gateway - Wizard, element, apache, spirit, illusion

Westside; Shield, Bard, Stag, Ahti, Giant

Axiom; Proxy, Alias, Crave, Fireball, Panic

I could go on, that was fun.

Pure, Compass, River Pro, Culverin & Flow.

I wish the Culverin was a tick more OS out of the box but a powered down Flow should do the trick.

Discraft: Challenger - Buzzz - Undertaker - Predator - Surge (though the mighty will go Force)

DD: Judge - Truth - Convict - Felon - Defender

Volt could arguably be replaced with Resistor.

From my experience they're not really alike. Don't know if it's an outlier, but my Resistor is the beefiest disc I've ever thrown, and that includes Firebirds. I threw it into a 20 mph headwind last week (I throw about 340') and it didn't even think about turning over. It's basically a utility disc at this point. My Volts, on the other hand, range from somewhat-OS (Neutron) to somewhat-US (beat Fission) and are much more versatile.

From my experience they're not really alike. Don't know if it's an outlier, but my Resistor is the beefiest disc I've ever thrown, and that includes Firebirds. I threw it into a 20 mph headwind last week (I throw about 340') and it didn't even think about turning over. It's basically a utility disc at this point. My Volts, on the other hand, range from somewhat-OS (Neutron) to somewhat-US (beat Fission) and are much more versatile.

Pick you up a lightweight resistor (160g) and you will find a slower Volt. I love mine as it will never turn and just ha a dependable fade. It almost flies like 7/4/+.5/2 as it has a slightly positive HSS but not that hard a fade. Super dependable disc.

Pure, Compass, River Pro, XXX, Gladiator

Judge, EMacTruth, Convict, Felon, Defender

I wish I had the arm speed for xxx and Gladiator. Have you thrown really beat up versions of them? Gonna get em both for utility duties but now you got me curious about cycling them. :p

I wish I had the arm speed for xxx and Gladiator. Have you thrown really beat up versions of them? Gonna get em both for utility duties but now you got me curious about cycling them. :p

Firebird is really a utility disc for most people so that's why I threw XXX in there.

Currently I'm working on my Gladiator cycle, the one that is getting most of the beating is just now starting to generate a hint of turn -- 10 or so rounds on heavily wooded courses and throwing for fun as second shots, it's beating in nicely. I still carry sheriffs for hyzer-flips and turnovers but if this one gets a few more rounds in it, it could take that place.