• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phone corrects PDGA to PGA

In Charlotte this year, we will be "formally reserving" courses for PDGA singles rounds on Saturdays.

That sucks. Probably hurts the growth of the game.

I hope Park & Rec will at least post signs or an online schedule of these "formal reservations".

That sucks. Probably hurts the growth of the game.

I hope Park & Rec will at least post signs or an online schedule of these "formal reservations".

:wall:

I highly doubt that this could have any real impact on the "growth of the game". The course will only be closed to the public for a small window (maybe 3-4 hours).....just like any other large league round in town.

I do think flyering at each of the courses involved in the Saturday league describing the schedule and benefits of the league would be beneficial to all involved. It will increase awareness of the league and potential attendance.

I feel an online schedule posted anywhere other than the club website (which will already have the league schedule) would get any traffic looking for a reservation of a closed course. I certainly don't go to P&Rs site for any course info.

Last edited:
:wall:

I highly doubt that this could have any real impact on the "growth of the game". The course will only be closed to the public for a small window (maybe 3-4 hours).....just like any other large league round in town.

I do think flyering at each of the courses involved in the Saturday league describing the schedule and benefits of the league would be beneficial to all involved. It will increase awareness of the league and potential attendance.

I feel an online schedule posted anywhere other than the club website (which will already have the league schedule) would get any traffic looking for a reservation of a closed course. I certainly don't go to P&Rs site for any course info.

This is the opinion of someone who plays leagues and tournaments -- not the opinion of the hundreds of *other* people who go to the course wanting to play and find 50 semi-rude dudes have exclusive access to it for 3-4 hours.

And if there were a web-page of closings where I could actually trust that the content is up-to-date (which is prettymuch impossible), I would certainly use it before planning a casual round with my friends or before heading out to the course.

This is the opinion of someone who plays leagues and tournaments -- not the opinion of the hundreds of *other* people who go to the course wanting to play and find 50 semi-rude dudes have exclusive access to it for 3-4 hours.

And if there were a web-page of closings where I could actually trust that the content is up-to-date (which is prettymuch impossible), I would certainly use it before planning a casual round with my friends or before heading out to the course.

If we didn't have 15 courses in town, I could see a potential impact. But if I were to drive up to a course and see a "Closed for Tournament" sign (and I have before I knew of the existance of a local club or that there were actual disc golf tournaments), I'd just turn around and go play somewhere else (which I did). A slight inconvenience (10 minutes or so) but not something that would impact my willingness to play the sport or encourage others to play.

I'm not debating your main point, that it sucks to show up for a casual round where you want to play, and find a tournament going on.

Closed or not closed really isn't the issue, IMO. Would you want to play your casual round during a tournament if the course weren't 'reserved?'

And, while maybe not perfectly real-time all the time, the CDGC website will always have tournaments and weeklies schedules listed pretty accurately on the home page. Well before I became a dues-paying member, after the first time I found myself playing a casual solo round amid tourney cards, I started checking the calendar on the website, and never ran into a problem again.

If we didn't have 15 courses in town, I could see a potential impact..
13 of these 15 courses probably would not exist unless the local club financed them, built them, and maintained them. Closing them for a one round PDGA league event for a 2-3 hr period has been the subject of much debate at club meetings. Never seems to be any discussion about closing courses when its a PDGA sanctioned tournament. Its just like the local sports group reserving the 4 soccer fields for a Saturday tournament.

I recently updated our club website (charlottedgc.com) with the PDGA singles schedule for the entire year, plus Mecklenburg County Park and Rec Activities Director has a copy, and you will even be able to dial 311 in Charlotte for information about reserved courses !

This year in Charlotte we will have 26 Saturdays in a row with PDGA events scheduled !!!

Hopefully when disc golf leagues get the same respect other sports get, we can move forward.

I will generate a flyer with the full schedule, always looking for help posting it all over town, 15 courses, plus Play it Again, Alpine Ski Center, Infinitis End, etc.

I recently updated our club website (charlottedgc.com) with the PDGA singles schedule for the entire year, plus Mecklenburg County Park and Rec Activities Director has a copy, and you will even be able to dial 311 in Charlotte for information about reserved courses !

That's helpful -- thanks.

Latest posts