• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phone Numbers on Back

Ok, now here is what happened to me;

I lost a disc over a fence and it landed between the fence and a bayou in some very think, waist tall grass. We had to walk two blocks just to get around the fence , and myself and two friends searched for the disc for quite a while. I found a JLS and a DX Aviar, but I didn't find my custom dyed Star Coyote. I was very bummed out, and I thought it was gone forever. Two weeks later, I got a call from a guy that found my disc. He said it looked like a special disc , and it must be missed. I met the guy, and offered him money, or a disc from my bag, but he didn't want either one. I was very happy to get my disc back.

Now, that being said, you can't say that someone threw their disc away in the water, or tall grass, and walked away. My disc was search for by three people. So you can't say these people just throw their disc in the water and walk off.

First day out on a course I hadn't played in forever I threw my surge low and it hit water right behind the fountain in the center of the pond... I walked to my car, grabbed a new surge out, and continued back to the hole. I then realized that the surge somehow caught an air pocket and was slowly floating to the edge of the pond. The point is, I threw it in the water, I wasn't going into the water to get it so I had already replaced it. If my disc had sunk to the bottom and I had put my number on it, do I deserve it back for free? If you call the numbers, I think you should do what someone said before. Charge a $5 finders fee, you are going in on your own time, spending your own money on equipment to go in there. You deserve some compensation, the person that threw it in there does not deserve a free disc.

edit: Risk vs Reward. Throw a floater if you don't wanna chance losing a disc.

I've recently had an epidemic of being both returner and returnee, most with backstories.

I received a disc I must of lost at least 7 years ago (I know because it predates shoulder surgery). No telling what it's been doing during that time. It's no longer useful to me....but it's the one the PDGA gave me for joining in 1996, and I'm glad to have it back.

The disc that was returned to me today was in the goose pond at Hampton Park, where I last played December 2007. Perhaps not the worst water anyone ever landed in, but bad enough that bacteria is afraid to swim there.

A group of guys playing my course at the end of a 7-course weekend, pressed for time to beat the setting sun, left 2 discs in the briars and 1 in the pond. I found them a few days later, and found someone from Charlotte (2 hours away) to return them to their owners. Even though 1 was signed by a hall-of-famer, and one had no name. I knew why they were left....would our random pond diver know?

These, and a couple more, have passed through my hands one way or the other in the last month.

Not long ago I knew a player who threw multiple practice throws on a pretty open hole. A large group played through, and one of his discs was apparently stolen by them. (There's no other explanation). If they left it on another hole---would it then be community property? Or should it be returned to the original owner?

Perhaps those in the "finders keepers" camp could be a little less sure of the backstory of the discs they find.

Actually its does if by the condition you find it in can prove that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost,_mislaid,_and_abandoned_property

look under abandoned property, if youve ever found a discs thats been in there for a couple weeks or months its easy to tell they either gave up or arent gonna find it and its then legaly abandoned.

As impressed as I am by the source of your information, the issue of abandonment isn't as simple as " 'a couple of weeks or months' equals abandoned". Who am I to say how long it takes someone to find their property.

Your source does, however take time to point out the issue of superior claim which states that even in the case of abandonment, the park would be the property owner, not just anyone that happened to pull it out of the water.

In the case of our local parks, it's not even technically legal to enter the water to retrieve one's own disc, much less that of another; but that's a completely separate issue.

All this doesn't matter though. It all comes down to the honest, decent people that will call and return and the others that won't.

If anyone thinks they deserve cash for spending time in the water getting my disc when I didn't ask them to do so, please leave my disc in the water. Thanks

Last edited:
Here is my take. If you happen to find a disc while searching for yours that has contact info on it then you should attempt to contact.

If you are taking hours out of your day to retrieve discs from the water where people knew they went in but did not want to retrieve them themselves, then you have a justifiable case of claiming possession. I may still try to contact those with numbers but I would not go out of my way to deliver them. Those that want them back can pay for shipping if you can't find a location easy for you to get to.
Finders Keepers

Ok, now here is what happened to me;

I lost a disc over a fence and it landed between the fence and a bayou in some very think, waist tall grass. We had to walk two blocks just to get around the fence , and myself and two friends searched for the disc for quite a while. I found a JLS and a DX Aviar, but I didn't find my custom dyed Star Coyote. I was very bummed out, and I thought it was gone forever. Two weeks later, I got a call from a guy that found my disc. He said it looked like a special disc , and it must be missed. I met the guy, and offered him money, or a disc from my bag, but he didn't want either one. I was very happy to get my disc back.

Now, that being said, you can't say that someone threw their disc away in the water, or tall grass, and walked away. My disc was search for by three people. So you can't say these people just throw their disc in the water and walk off.
was that at macgegor ? That was my JLS.

If you find a clean disc theres a good chance the person might still come back and look for it , but when you come across a disc with dirt that cant be easily washed off its been there awhile, and if that person is still gonna come back and look for it they have a problem. Im not syaing dont give them a call but you dont have to.

And its just stuff people are you gonna get buried with it? When you die you familys not gonna give a crap about the disc your long dead uncle gave you they will probably just chunk them out. Yall need to watch Hoarders on A&E.

If someone finds your disc and plays with it then loses it then someone else plays with whats the problem, do you want to be that old guy who dies alone with a bunch of stuff as his only friends. Even the best plastic wont be good in 30 years just let it go . and i was joking that wasnt my Jls

was that at macgegor ? That was my JLS.

If you find a clean disc theres a good chance the person might still come back and look for it , but when you come across a disc with dirt that cant be easily washed off its been there awhile, and if that person is still gonna come back and look for it they have a problem. Im not syaing dont give them a call but you dont have to.

And its just stuff people are you gonna get buried with it? When you die you familys not gonna give a crap about the disc your long dead uncle gave you they will probably just chunk them out. Yall need to watch Hoarders on A&E.

If someone finds your disc and plays with it then loses it then someone else plays with whats the problem, do you want to be that old guy who dies alone with a bunch of stuff as his only friends. Even the best plastic wont be good in 30 years just let it go . and i was joking that wasnt my Jls

Funny, that's what I was thinking about the people so desparate to keep discs they find instead of return them to their owners.

if it was liek a custom dye disc or something, return it, but dont return every disc you get for free ya know?

Funny, that's what I was thinking about the people so desparate to keep discs they find instead of return them to their owners.
i hope you dont feel that way about me , cause ive giving away more discs that i bought than the amount of numbered discs ive found . I find it selfish people would rather have a disc that they lost back then let someone else enjoy it. And the majority of discs i find are not what i throw so i give those away to.

And for the record ive always called the numbers but im starting to rethink that because of the bad attitudes of some of the people who write their info on their discs. So if you write your # on a disc that i find and you answer your phone your just taking away a disc from a kid or noob.

If you look in my closet or my garage you wont find stacks or bins of discs i dont throw , im not a coveter like some of you , if i dont need it or dont use it i give them away so somebody else can, even if their in perfect condition and i bought them.

Last edited:
Atleast make a phone call....

Sorry, but you should always make the small attempt to call if there is a number on the back. Nobody really cares if you don't want your's back, but I sure do. I know I have a tie-dyed roadrunner out there with my name on it. If someone is playing with it, I hope they can't throw it worth sh!t. I loved that disc, first disc I could throw a controlled anhyser with. I have another but I still want that one back. And if I need to play a "finder's fee" I am ok with that too. I just want my disc back. Just my two cents.

To anyone that writes your name and # on your disc , If you dont want your discs back then dont write your number on them? Dont waste my minutes($) and my time fu***** with your wishy washy a**. And for gods sakes dont write your # on every disc you have even the crappy ones., by doing that you make it less likely for good discs to be returned cause people get tired of messing with it.

You are required to mark any disc that you use in a PDGA sanctioned event.

Sorry, but you should always make the small attempt to call if there is a number on the back. Nobody really cares if you don't want your's back, but I sure do. I know I have a tie-dyed roadrunner out there with my name on it. If someone is playing with it, I hope they can't throw it worth sh!t. I loved that disc, first disc I could throw a controlled anhyser with. I have another but I still want that one back. And if I need to play a "finder's fee" I am ok with that too. I just want my disc back. Just my two cents.
wouldnt it feel better if you thought someone else is enjoying your lost unmarked disc, than to mad like you are now that someone stole your disc ,and look at your fellow dgers with suspicion,paranioa,and rage.

maybe its just me but id rather feel love and compassion than greed and hate.

by # i meant phone number not pdga #

There is no requirement on how it is marked (PDGA# or otherwise).

I put my name and number on all my discs when I first get them, because I'm not sure if I'm going to like them or not, and I want to be compliant in tourneys. With my luck, I would fall in love with a disc and lose it before I could mark it up. Besides, why wouldn't I? It is my property.

Sorry you've encountered bad attitudes when calling disc owners.

I've encountered grateful owners and owners who thanked me, but said it wasn't important enough to them to warrant the trouble of returning. Even at that, I've just lost a minute or two of a phone call....and met another disc golfer.

Just as I wouldn't assume from finding a disc the circumstances that led it to be there, I wouldn't assume without calling the motivations of the owner who might want the disc back, or not.

wouldnt it feel better if you thought someone else is enjoying your lost unmarked disc, than to mad like you are now that someone stole your disc ,and look at your fellow dgers with suspicion,paranioa,and rage.

maybe its just me but id rather feel love and compassion than greed and hate.

How am I greedy when I purchased the disc? I did not say that I was going to run around and check everyone's bags to see it the have it. Karma will give them all the justice they need. I call and give back the discs that i find. I am just looking for someone to return the favor. And it is not hate, I must have higher expectations for people than you do.

After going through this thread, it's time for some retorting...

Some people really love their putters and spend years sometimes breaking them in just right so give all putters a call , if they really love it theyll offer you something without asking. And no calls for DX drivers.

So, people can get putters back but apparently no one ever beats in DX drivers or midranges (t-birds, rocs, eagles, etc...)? It's the same deal and what type of disc shouldn't have anything to do with if it gets returned or not. Phone # = call PERIOD.

Omega SuperSloth said:
Btw i dont write my info on my disc because im not selfish like that

Wanting your property back is selfish? Sorry for being selfish then (or am I???).

Omega SuperSlot said:
Youll find this name and # business only causes a bunch of grief and strife , and its not really worth the trouble it causes to get back a couple of discs that in the long run will get worn out anyway, or lost for good

Cause it's such a huge hassle to call them up tell them you'll be at the course at here & then & return the disc to them. Better watch out for the trouble you'll start doing that though. Also, how do you know whether or not that disc will get lost or worn out? Maybe they like it a bit more worn and working on getting it that stage (tough luck for dx though). Maybe them getting that disc back (notice the maybes because I'm not a fortune teller here) makes their day. Maybe they get an ace with it and hang it up on the wall. Maybe...

Omega SuperSloth said:
...and now you expect the "reward" too.

You do not know the circumstances of them losing the disc (could / couldn't go look for it, etc). Heaven forbid you play the nice guy and return it giving them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather feel love and compassion than greed and hate.

Omega SuperSloth said:
I find it selfish people would rather have a disc that they lost back then let someone else enjoy it. And the majority of discs i find are not what i throw so i give those away to.

And for the record ive always called the numbers but im starting to rethink that becasue of the bad attitudes of some of the people who write their info on their discs. So if you write your # on a disc that if ind and you answer your phone your just taking a disc away from a kid or noob.

What? Selfish that I want MY disc back. You even got in the line about hurting the youth of America. Always sentimental to bring up kids, cause who can go against them. I would not feel one bit of remorse if I get a call back on a lost disc and I go to pick it up. Oh the humanity, I must be such a terrible person.

If you don't throw them, what is the harm in giving them back to their rightful owners? Of course, it must be their crappy, thankless attitudes for doing a nice deed and giving them back their disc. I haven't ONCE gotten any kind of bad attitude from someone who wrote their info on a disc, maybe it was because it wasn't mine and I got it back to them? And for the record, I'm naturally athletic and I work out.

In the words of Brett Myers; "Boom, outta here".

pd

Latest posts