• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PIAS is sponsoring DGers....

techn9cian4life

Double Eagle Member
So idk if this has happened anywhere else, but the PIAS here in Boise now has a DG "team". Consists of 3 of some of the top ranked players here in the area. Its also rumored that they bought the team members a brand new Grip Tour bag along with 30 discs of the players choosing. Found this pretty interesting. Thoughts?

Wont happen at mine. The dude only sells innova discs and doesn't carry 1/2 of them. He really doesn't care. :(

Sweet idea though.

Wont happen at mine. The dude only sells innova discs and doesn't carry 1/2 of them. He really doesn't care. :(

Sweet idea though.

Its also rumored they're doin this cause ever since Boise Disc Golf opened little over a year ago their DG sales have gone down 30%. Which I think is awesome cause the owner of bdg is a super cool guy and the most knowledgable person on the sport ive ever met. Plus he kicks ass on the course lol

Tech, do you know who the 3 are? I'm betting its one or both of the Coreys for sure. And Travis IS the man.
I'll pm you when I'm about to station for wildfire in Boise come late May.

with my pias sports guy would do something like that. he sponsors our local tournament every year but only orders innova thats not max weight and won't get anything thats not a top seller.

Tech, do you know who the 3 are? I'm betting its one or both of the Coreys for sure. And Travis IS the man.
I'll pm you when I'm about to station for wildfire in Boise come late May.

I know 2 of the 3. None of them are Travis. That'd be weird if he were sponsored by PIAS since he owns BDG Haha The two I know of are Steve Loyd and Rey Turner. Steve is awesome, I've played multiple rounds with him. Rey, I don't like for my own personal reasons and I'll just leave it at that Lol

Edit: You were right, the 3rd person is in fact one of the Corey's. Straight from PIAS' Facebook page.... "Congrats to Team Play It Again Sports players Cory Dryden and Steve Loyd on taking first and second at this weekends Winter Series Disc Golf Tourney! Team PIAS!"

Last edited:
No, I meant Travis is a great guy, not that he's on the PIAS team.
I've played with both Steve and Rey. My take on Rey is that he doesn't know when to shut up giving "advice".

No, I meant Travis is a great guy, not that he's on the PIAS team.
I've played with both Steve and Rey. My take on Rey is that he doesn't know when to shut up giving "advice".

Oh okay, ya he's a bad ass Haha Played a round with em yesterday at Morrisons winter set up.. it was freezing balls. 5 degrees Lol Didnt even have my bag. All I had was a random star Valk I had laying in my car and my 2 Wizards cause I was putting on his new Gateway basket he got in the shop Haha Still pulled a par :thmbup: I agree with your Rey statement. I told him I was getting a Mach Lite for Christmas and he talked about how terrible they are for 20 minutes, and I should of gotten a Skillshot instead.

PIAS is a franchise, so it would be up to the local owner to do something this this. In our area, our organization has a mini-ban on PIAS. We've had some instances where people will find discs and sell them without calling the number on the back, and the owners at PIAS would just black out the names with Sharpie. We do understand that it's a business and it's not their job to police whether or not people who find discs call the owner, but we were getting zero compromise. At one point I think we said we would even pay PIAS the $3.00 back or whatever they buy them for if they called us and it was a disc we wanted back. Hell, most of them we'd probably say "oh, that's cool, you can resell it." and just be happy for the call. Especially when some kid brings in a stack that has 5 different numbers on the backs. Either way, our organization has a "store" that travels with our president so a lot of the discs we buy on the spot is from there anyways. But yet just a couple hours down the road, Albany has a PIAS sponsored tournament every year. So you got lucky, there.

The Charlotte/Pineville PIAS is very supportive of our club, and they stock most brands with a wide variety of offerings. They have sponsored to some degree many of our PDGA tournies and charity events. This year they are stepping up to sponsor the club's year-long Singles Championship Series.

Across town we also have another vendor - Alpine Ski Center - who is an equally strong supporter of club events. They are the exclusive sponsor of the Sugaw Creek Am League, the most successful league in the history of the club, and help with many of our tournies and fundraisers. We're fortunate to have both.

So their sponsored players get to throw a mixed bag based on the discs recycled to the store? ;)

I the PIAS here in Winston-Salem is stocked and I hear the one in Greensboro is as well (owned by the same guy I think). The one in North Raleigh is also well stocked. This could happen in NC, if it hasn't already. and Spinthrift is 100% correct about Pineville as well.

PIAS is a franchise, so it would be up to the local owner to do something this this. In our area, our organization has a mini-ban on PIAS. We've had some instances where people will find discs and sell them without calling the number on the back, and the owners at PIAS would just black out the names with Sharpie. We do understand that it's a business and it's not their job to police whether or not people who find discs call the owner, but we were getting zero compromise. At one point I think we said we would even pay PIAS the $3.00 back or whatever they buy them for if they called us and it was a disc we wanted back. Hell, most of them we'd probably say "oh, that's cool, you can resell it." and just be happy for the call. Especially when some kid brings in a stack that has 5 different numbers on the backs. Either way, our organization has a "store" that travels with our president so a lot of the discs we buy on the spot is from there anyways. But yet just a couple hours down the road, Albany has a PIAS sponsored tournament every year. So you got lucky, there.

I had this happen before. I lost one of my favorite eagles and found it literally the next day in the bin at PIAS. I told them it was mine and they let me take it for the $3.00 they paid for it. I was pretty happy with that compromise.

The PIA here has a pretty good variety of discs and weights. There's a lot more Innova and Discraft than any thing else... but they do carry some Gateway, MVP, Vibram, Legacy, and they just got DD in about a week ago. I know they're sponsoring our upcoming PDGA event, Shoot Out at the Capital in March. I have a feeling they're going to try and be a lot more involved in the disc scene this year than they have in the past.

I the PIAS here in Winston-Salem is stocked and I hear the one in Greensboro is as well (owned by the same guy I think). The one in North Raleigh is also well stocked. This could happen in NC, if it hasn't already. and Spinthrift is 100% correct about Pineville as well.

The guy that owns the PIAS in WS is really nice and plays disc golf. That is a huge reason why there is a large amount of discs there. He orders a lot of his discraft from another website though.

His prices on 1st run DD discs were 2 or 3 dollars cheaper than most online stores.

They now have a HUGE banner in the front window. It's very obvious they are trying to attract more DG customers. All the shelves have been rearranged and every thing is actually in order, which I have never seen before. All the brands are separated, each individual shelf is labeled with what disc is on what shelf, etc. I do know as long as Boise Disc Golf is open, PIA will have major competition in disc sales.

the PIAS here is notorious for a few things...
A. only Innova discs or some really crappy discs that aren't PDGA approved
B. either speed 11+ or 4- discs, I can't find a single mid range or fairway driver
C. Selling someone elses discs (as someone mentioned, a found disc that's turned in)

I don't know what to think of this. but it's a franchised buisness so oh well..

It would be awesome if every store that sold used discs made an effort to find out where they came from and/or return them to their owners, but that's a little unrealistic. PIAS buys all kinds of sports equipment, likely lots of the gloves, balls, bags etc. have names on them somewhere, there's just no way for them to verify what is legitimately the seller's property and what was found and sold.