• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Picking Up DG Again, Need Advice

gpkk

Hey everyone,

I started back disc golf this week after not playing more than 3-4x in about 12 years. I played 2-3x/week for a few summers way back then, but never got much equipment beyond an old, really beaten ROC, a Wolf, and an off-brand all-purpose disc I want to never use again.

I still have that old Roc and picked up a Star Aviar and a DX Teebird a couple weeks ago. I have found that I can throw the Teebird about 275' consistently when on level ground.

I'm hoping to play every week or so. What should I be looking for as I get back in? Do you suggest just using these discs for a while to work on form? What would be the next 3-5 discs that would be most helpful for a guy who is never going to have time to practice, but wants to do well when I play?

Thanks for whatever help you can give!

just throw the discs you have and revisit any new stuff as needed. All depends what you want really. Can play the sport with 1 disc or 21 discs its up to you.

No molds or plastic etc are going to make you a better player. You have a solid base to work with and just have fun experimenting'

Check out Discraft's Glide and Meteor. Stable, easy to control and forgiving.

Thanks, guys. That discussion grotto pointed me to is just what I was looking for.

Only question: How will the the new DX Roc complement the old one? Is it more stable?

I have noticed that the beat-up Roc turns over to the right more than I expected (which I like IF I know it's coming!), before turning back left at the end. Is that what it means for a disc to get less stable over time?

Hey everyone,

I started back disc golf this week after not playing more than 3-4x in about 12 years. I played 2-3x/week for a few summers way back then, but never got much equipment beyond an old, really beaten ROC, a Wolf, and an off-brand all-purpose disc I want to never use again.

I still have that old Roc and picked up a Star Aviar and a DX Teebird a couple weeks ago. I have found that I can throw the Teebird about 275' consistently when on level ground.

I'm hoping to play every week or so. What should I be looking for as I get back in? Do you suggest just using these discs for a while to work on form? What would be the next 3-5 discs that would be most helpful for a guy who is never going to have time to practice, but wants to do well when I play?

Thanks for whatever help you can give!

For the time being, probably back up discs of the one's that you have, if they work for you, especially if they're baseline plastic. It's cheaper and you can get an idea of the flight characteristics out the box. Then later if you feel that the discs are taking damage too quickly, then switch to a premium plastic for those disc(s).

Just have fun playing the game! If u like to buy a whole bunch of plastic(like I did) then go in right ahead. But if you want to start improving, then I'd say to listen to the suggestions here. Id agree to get another DX roc. If your other roc is turning over(going to the right), then they should work great together(the new one should go left). If you like the star aviar for putting (feel wise), then great. If you don't, try a DX aviar or if you like the feeling of a beaded putter, try a KC or yeti aviar. Your putting putter is 100% about the feel of it. If u have a shop by you, go and hold all the putters and just pick your favorite one. If you don't, play a few rounds with friends and ask them if u can see their putters. Welcome back to DG!!!

Last edited: