• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pitch Putters: Adding spin when putting into a headwind.

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
I know there are a lot of pitch putters out there. ones that use almost all arm and very little wrist....Is there anyone out there that has mastered headwind putting? I know the key is to add more spin, how do you add more spin to a pitch putt?

I do not add spin to my headwind putts.* I actually keep the same spin but take off less power. The wind will keep the disc lifted for longer so less pop is needed to keep it on the line I want.

*I am not a tremendously great headwind putter, but don't see more than a 20% dropoff rate in comparison to non-wind putts (ex. If I put 85% at 20ft, then in a headwind I will likely shoot around 65% at the same distance).

I pitch putt almost all of the time and there are two things I do when putting into a headwind.

The thing I usually do is spin putt. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

If you must keep pitch putting though sometimes I will straddle pitch putt and pull the disc far between my legs so get more arm motion and more speed. You can curl your wrist some to add more spin coming out but it's a timing thing.

One easy way to add spin to your toss is making sure your back toe pushes off right before you release the disc.

I push putt & do decent in headwinds. I just make sure to release the disc flat & release lower than normal. I do more of a "drop putt" so aiming lower helps to keep the disc less exposed to the wind. I also try to have more of a weight transfer than I usually do on. I feel the lower release & extra push from the more pronounced weight transfer helps me to counteract some of the effects of wind. I don't like adding in wrist to add more spin because in my opinion that defeats the whole purpose of push/pitch putting. If your going to add in a lot of wrist motion just because of wind you might as well just spin putt. I use the same putting motion & putter in all conditions. Doing that allows me to stay consistent, as well as learn my putting style & disc more than I would if I changed my routine in varying situations.

Push putting is my normal style with a 170 anode - but in wind that will push my shot off line a bit - I try to shoot it faster, adding spin and with a lower trajectory and go to a lower profile putter (vibram ridge). In truly windy conditions, I go to a traditional spin putt with a max weight Lat64 Pure.

I've seen people putt with OS putters (like a Zone) or even drivers to counteract a headwind.

I've seen people putt with OS putters (like a Zone) or even drivers to counteract a headwind.

you need the spin the get them to go straight though, otherwise they fade early and like any disc, if the wind gets underneath it, it will be blown way off course

just turn the disc over and putt upside down. Problem solved

Requires a little adjusting but flies like an OS brick. I know there are a few old threads, but give it a try. Also having your thumb on he lower (er, upper?) rim seems to naturally give more spin w release.

Also try putting while on your knees (into headwind). It might require some upper body motion adjustments. As a spin putter myself this works for all the right reasons.

As long as it is not an orcano, it helps me to do exactly the same putt but slower and smoother.

But when the wind is too strong, you kinda have to spinputt.

I putt with an upside down disc often. Many discs work with this. Try your putter if that isn't good try a Roc and a Firebird. Or something equivalent to those molds.

upside down driver. at least inside 25'. for anything outside of that, more wrist and height. and don't fight the wind. spend some time practicing in the wind and figure out how to let the wind help you.

The secret to putting in the wind is to go outisde and putt in it until it feels comfortable... Headwinds: just putt a little lower and let the wind lift it if you like to pitch putt but the nose angle is going to be crucial to you success, or failure. Don't expose the flight plate to the wind. I just adopted a little spin into my everyday putt (I putt a little low into a headwind and a little more loft on a tailwind with some nose up). Go outside and putt for short enough periods of time that you don't get frustrated or overwhelmed and figure it out: I promise it will eventually come together....and take every single one of those practice putts just as seriously as if you were playing a round.