• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Planning a 2-3 day trip to Columbia SC looking for recommendations

lexxerd

Bogey Member
Planning a 2-3 day trip to Columbia SC looking for recommendation on what courses I should check out. I already wanna play Crooked Creek in Chapin, SC. Anyone have any good recommendations?

If you're up for a real challenge that's also a pretty good hike, check out Stoney Hill. It's a bit of a drive from Columbia and it's a bit rough, but it's also one of the most fun courses with the most interesting variety of holes I've found. It is private so you'll have to schedule your round with david or chris sauls (both are members here and I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't find this thread).

You gotta get out to Stoney Hill. Everything in town is decent but not spectacular. I don't consider any of the courses in town must play destinations.

Earlwood is cool because its a throwback to vintage disc golf, but its not really a great course on its own merits. Southeast is my favorite course in town. Owens is good, if unspectacular, golf but a nasty location.

You should really just bite the bullet and drive the extra hour to augusta if possible.

Why are you planning a 3-day trip to a city that's only 75 minutes away?

With no idea what you want, here are your best choices, ordered by geography (from southeast to northwest)

Southeast Park is Columbia's most challenging, and many feel best, course. It requires a good variety of shots, with some length and par-4s. The rough can be rough in places, navigation a little tricky. Easy access from Charlotte by taking I-77 around Columbia; it's about 2 miles from an exit.

Earlewood Park is a very fun short course. Which means, there's not much chance to air it out. Lots of elevation and fast greens; huge trees but little underbrush. Close to downtown, easy access from Charlotte by taking 277; it's about a mile from an exit.

Crooked Creek is a good wooded course. The basic 18 is all carved through the woods, with fair fairways and a gentle elevation; there's an extra 9 holes that are long and more open, but finding and navigating them is tricky. About 30 miles from Earlewood (except in heavy traffic).

Stoney Hill is the most challenging; it can be tough for beginners. Lots of elevation and variety; a couple of forced water carries of 220-250' distance. It's a private course where you need reservations and, generally, a guide, limiting the times you can play. About 30 minutes from Crooked Creek; 45 from Earlewood (in light traffic).

(If you include Stoney Hill as your first or last course, you might route yourself on backroads and play Chester State Park as well. It'll add very little to your drive, and be well worth it).

Last edited:
SouthEast is my favorite course in Columbia these days.

Earlewood is a quick course, a lot of elevation for such a short course. A lot of fun.

Owens is OK... I only play tournaments there, mostly flat with some brutal wooded holes.

Also, since the OP didn't mention a date, be aware that there are tournaments at Earlewood Feb 28-Mar 1, and Mar 7-8.

Not sure if you are going for work or play for several days but if you are going to see WSP at the Township have fun but be careful. I have witnessed a few people that appeared to be following orders get beat down severely by cops at a Phish show in 1994 and a couple of WSP shows.

I have witnessed a few people that appeared to be following orders get beat down severely by cops at a Phish show in 1994 and a couple of WSP shows.
relevant and timely.

looks like it was a good show though :)

David Sauls pretty well covered it all. If you are on Facebook, there is a group page for us, it's Columbia Disc Golf Club. There's usually people who post where/when they are playing, and you can usually hook up with someone so you are not alone. Crooked Creek (original 18), and Earlewood are both easy to navigate, Owens Field and Southeast have some holes/teepads that are a bit tougher to find without a local. Since you are in Charlotte, you may want to check out Chester State Park either on your way down or back. It is pay to get in, either $2 or $3, but WELL worth it.

chester is a great course. worth the trip. Carolina Adventure World is less ideal, usually needs grooming. Not a great place after a lot of rain.

relevant and timely.

looks like it was a good show though :)

The setlist was sick! Trey on Uncle Pen was phenominal which set the stage for a smokin' show. The Horse > SITM was the best I have seen and Suzie started off the best 2nd set I ever witnessed by the band which included Reba and Runaway Jim. Paige's father also came out and played piano with Paige for the encore which was really cool!

Set I

Llama
Horn
Uncle Pen
Punch You In The Eye > Sample In A Jar >
All Things Reconsidered
Nellie Kane > The Divided Sky
The Horse > Silent in The Morning
David Bowie

Set II
Suzy Greenberg
Julius
Reba
Tweezer > Lifeboy
Riunaway Jim
Hold Your Head Up >
I Wan'na Be Like You >
Hold Your Head Up
The Squirming Coil

Encore
Bill Bailey Won't You Please Come Home

The setlist was sick! Trey on Uncle Pen was phenominal which set the stage for a smokin' show. The Horse > SITM was the best I have seen and Suzie started off the best 2nd set I ever witnessed by the band which included Reba and Runaway Jim. Paige's father also came out and played piano with Paige for the encore which was really cool! I would think it was possibly the best show ever if they would have busted out Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley.

Set I

Llama
Horn
Uncle Pen
Punch You In The Eye > Sample In A Jar >
All Things Reconsidered
Nellie Kane > The Divided Sky
The Horse > Silent in The Morning
David Bowie

Set II
Suzy Greenberg
Julius
Reba
Tweezer > Lifeboy
Riunaway Jim
Hold Your Head Up >
I Wan'na Be Like You >
Hold Your Head Up
The Squirming Coil

Encore
Bill Bailey Won't You Please Come Home

Waiting for someone to chime in about how old I am now but for me to remember the show 20 + years ago is a testament to how good it was!

Last edited: