• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plantar Fasciitis

treehorn

Birdie Member
Well I have it...

I can play one day and then basically have to rest the next day before I can go out again... I've been doing all the stretches plus been using some decent orthotic inserts but I'm still waiting to pull the plug on custom orthotics..

F&%k it's painful...

Any shoe recommendations?

Just looking for some input from others that may have this and what they do to help relieve the pain and better yet fix it all together...

Thanx, Kevin

I get it often. sometimes I tape my arches for the first round. If I tape them for multiple rounds I will get blisters.

After the round have a dixie cup in the freezer filled with water and you can roll that on your arches.
I normally save these cups for shin splints, but it seems to help.

Have you tried the exercise were you try to scrunch up a towel with your toes?

My mom has it and from what she describes it is very painful at times, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Here is some advice I have gotten from her as she tried to solve the riddle...

Pull the plug on the custom orthotics, expensive but they work. She tried some knock off ones locally and didnt help. Was really happy when the custom ones arrived and wished she had done this from the get go.

Get some really good shoes, go to a really nice store for Runners, not some Foot Locker or big name chain. Need to find one run by runners who take the time to measure your foot properly and sell the quality running shoes. There is a real difference between shoes from a big chain vs shoes from a professionally run shoe store for runners and track athletes.

Hope that helps, hopefully more people can chime in with even more help. Best of luck!

Yeah I know I need to pull the plug on the orthotics but at 5 bills I just can't right now...

Don't worry prerube I'll try your ballz....:D

I used to get it bad. New custom orthotics have pretty much taken care of them for me. I also notice that shoes with a more supportive footbed help.

The orthotics would be the best option but the price does stand in the way for many people. The ice trick works well- i have people use a frozen water bottle or a 'frozen' golf ball to roll on their arches. Also stay away from Chuck Taylors, Toms, flip-flops- anything that lacks support of the arch. New Balance shoes tend to have a decent arch in them and I agree go to a running store and check with them. PM me if you have any other specific questions.

The orthotics would be the best option but the price does stand in the way for many people. The ice trick works well- i have people use a frozen water bottle or a 'frozen' golf ball to roll on their arches. Also stay away from Chuck Taylors, Toms, flip-flops- anything that lacks support of the arch. New Balance shoes tend to have a decent arch in them and I agree go to a running store and check with them. PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Listen to this guy, he helped me out a ton relieving my back pain

I start my day right and stretch it out before I even put a foot on the floor in the morning. I where running shoes now whenever I can; good, soft running shoes. I use Prerubes balls, sorta; I'm a cheap ass, so I bought some of those dryer balls that you throw in with your clothes. When I'm sitting on the couch I move my foot around on top of a ball. If I have change in my pocket, sometimes I will drop the coins on the carpet and pick them up with my toes a few times. It works good, and my kids never ask for change. :)

I start my day right and stretch it out before I even put a foot on the floor in the morning. I where running shoes now whenever I can; good, soft running shoes. I use Prerubes balls, sorta; I'm a cheap ass, so I bought some of those dryer balls that you throw in with your clothes. When I'm sitting on the couch I move my foot around on top of a ball. If I have change in my pocket, sometimes I will drop the coins on the carpet and pick them up with my toes a few times. It works good, and my kids never ask for change. :)

great advise. tennis balls work fine too. after rounds or just after you wake up, roll a tennis ball under your foot. The condition is usually a result of overuse so resting always helps.

i've got it too- i do farm work all day long and that doesn't aggravate it nearly as badly as a round of disc golf.

I had this about 8 months ago, and as a runner it sucks.

The golfball worked pretty well for me, but what I used to help the most was the Strassburgh Sock ( http://www.thesock.com/ )

It looks painful, but once you figure out where to lock it into place it helps so much. I was against it at first, but basically, when you put this sock on, you adjust the toe strap so that your toes are lifted off the ground a little bit, and then when you lay/sit back and relax your leg and foot, your foot tries to relax and is constantly stretched until you remove the sock. I used it about 8 hours a day/night (works best in larger time blocks), for about 5 months and now I am feeling great. Even while watching a movie at home I would use the sock for that extra stretching to be done.

While that sounds like a while, the sock allowed me to get out of bed in the morning and not have that painful first few steps, or if I fell asleep and woke up in the middle of the night with pain in the arch area.

Also, I would sit on the ground, and use a towel to wrap around the ball of my foot, and gently pull towards me stretching out the fascia for about 30 seconds, then rest, then repeat.

Since this is caused by the fascia being over stretched and having micro tears in it, by doing what you can to stretch it out as often as you can will allow you to heal.

Imagine if you got a cut on the knuckle of your hand. Go to sleep for 8 hours or so, and then try to bend it first thing in the morning, You basically break whatever healing was done and aggrivate the area. The same thing happens with plantar in the morning, or during long periods of inactivity.

Hope that helps.

Treehorn

Past sufferer.

I don't know you, but I would recommend losing any excess weight you may be carrying around. This will help get rid of pain and it will help it stay away.

I also use "Walk Fit" inserts. They only cost $20.00 and I now have them in all my shoes, not just the ones I wear for disc golf. I have not had a flare up since Summer 2010.

http://www.walkfitplatinum.com/

Had it bad in both feet for a bit. Ended up hurting my hip and back from walking gingerly. Stretching stretching stretching ALL THE TIME, new shoes more often, DO NOT GET gel inserts, they make the problem "feel" better but are not proper orthotics. Included in stretching is rolling out that ball of tendons in your foot. I used a rolling pin before bed and a tennis ball at work.

Sleep on your back with your feet at 90 degree angles. This felt better than the boots. If you let the top of your foot go parallel to your shin while you are sleeping, you are in for a bad morning. Keep that foot 90 degrees at night. Lose some weight if you are heavy.

Hard inserts from Walgreens with the little replaceable plastic spring supports were recommended by my foot doctor and really worked. Anything that really supports that arch...I know you just want that stabbing pain in your heel to go away, but again, stay away from gel inserts from drug stores. They just mask the pain but do not heal the cause.

Last edited:
The first time I had it I got a cortisone shot because I could barely walk after a 30 minute drive to work.The only way i stop it now is by putting my hands on a wall, then sort leaning and then getting on my toes and pushing down.

Treehorn

Past sufferer.

I don't know you, but I would recommend losing any excess weight you may be carrying around. This will help get rid of pain and it will help it stay away.

I also use "Walk Fit" inserts. They only cost $20.00 and I now have them in all my shoes, not just the ones I wear for disc golf. I have not had a flare up since Summer 2010.

http://www.walkfitplatinum.com/

Those hills at Lami have knocked 52lbs off me in 18 months and has been the best thing for feet. I am close to being a past sufferer, but I still have my days now and then.

I am also able to recognize now when I've aggrevated it, and that I need to stretch it out before I go to bed. I usually wake up fine now, even after really tough days. Maybe the Walk Fits could stave off the onset all together.

Thanks Discette, see you at Lami.

Once you get it, even if you "fix" it or get it under control for a time, you are more susceptible to flare ups in the future. Sort of like tennis elbow or a sore back. Once you hurt it is never completely the same.

I got mine by playing in deep snow, slipping out and overextending on steps and shots. Only my right foot was substantially affected. Fortunately last year the snows were mild and combined with the stretching and icing advice from a foot doc mine got much better. Now it is a minor twinge now and then. I got some small heel lifts from the doc but they didn't seem to do anything and I abandoned them.

I use lots of different shoes (rotating them and varying for conditions) and some shoes clearly aggravate my foot more than others. My foot doc advised me to get stiff soles but some of my stiffest shoes hurt the most. Big, heavy boots are bad and deep snows are the worst.