• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plantar Fasciitis

Check your shoes. I had several pair for work that I rotated. I had it bad and figured out I had a pair of rockports that were comfortable but had no support in the arch. Got rid of those shoes and rarely have a problem anymore.

The first problem is that even if you completely buy the barefoot argument (and there are some valid points), the time to take it up is not when you have PF. It wouldn't be until after you resolved the PF that you should even consider trying barefoot. Having almost any injury would be a bad time, but this one would probably be arguably be exacerbated worse than most.

What is not arguable is the broad medical consensus on the topic of how to treat pf. The implication that it's a matter of opinion is laughable in the same vein as people who don't vaccinate their kids. Everything is a matter of opinion, but certain opinions are backed by thousands of medical professionals, decades of scientific research, and thorough public vetting.

Again, I'm only stating that this is terrible advice in the context of attempting to treat plantar fasciitis.
But it is really terrible advice.

p.s. barefooter advocates - the paleos make virtually the same argument....you guys choke down any raw chicken livers lately? :p

I just can't see playing barefoot as a viable option, sorry. Too many rocks, sticky bushes, and dog (God I hope it's from a dog) poop. I need to protect my feet for all those other occasions when I can go barefoot.

I suffer from PF (did I reply to this thread already?...if so, sorry) and I am currently lovin' my Superfeet. I buy 'em at REI, check your local retailer.

While mine was flared up the foot dr. Told me the worst thing I could do was go barefoot. He even recommended I wear shoes in the house.

I actually used to intern at a podiatrist office, PF patients were easily 30% of all the patients we saw. So while I can not claim to be a physician, I have a fair amount of experience with PF (I myself have also suffered from it over the years).

Best advice is to go talk to a podiatrist.

That being said - I can probably tell you most of what you will hear at a podiatrist office (assuming you don't have an extreme case). There are a number of actions you can take to relieve PF pain. The aforementioned frozen water bottle/roller/ball plantar massage is great before bedtime (or as needed for pain relief), you can use passive stretches while you sleep (its basically a boot that dorsiflexes your foot overnight), NSAIDs will help, but MOST importantly - make sure that you have shoes with supportive insoles that you wear as much as possible. I recommend not bearing weight at all without wearing support.

Note: supportive insoles do NOT include gel/comfort insoles (i.e. Dr. Scholls)

The custom orthotics are ideal, however not absolutely necessary for all PF sufferers. If you do pull the trigger on them, there is a very solid chance they'll make a world of difference for you (but you'll be at least $300 in the hole). You could quite possibly get away with some cheaper, supporting insoles. New Balance makes good replacement insoles, superfeet is good, a number of other companies make quality inserts.

If you talk to a podiatrist they may recommend cortisone injections at the proximal plantar fascia. If the problem persists, they might guide you toward shockwave therapy (serious $$$ though, and insurance won't cover it).

Lastly do NOT go barefoot!!! Worst advice possible. Anyone who tells you this regarding PF clearly has absolutely no idea of how to properly treat it.

PF sucks, and it can be painful for awhile - be diligent on treating it, and don't be afraid to go talk to a DPM about it.

Well foot pain is gone. :eek:

I was using a pair of Adidas Outdoor Terrex Fast X GTX shoes with Superfeet insoles but at the end of the day my feet were still in pain.

3 months ago I switched shoes to Solomon XR MISSION CS and walla the pain is almost gone. These babies are way lighter way more comfortable and have ton more room in the foot bed.

While the Adidas will last longer (probably 2 seasons at least) the Solomon`s for me are obviously the way to go (you`ll definitely have to replace these shoes every year) and will continue to use them religiously. :hfive:

You don't seem to have used splints at night and ankle/foot arch compression braces during the day. In addition to stretching the feet, these two methods are most effective for me. Before considering more radical treatments, I have been taking these methods to relieve pain. In particular, compression support can help distribute pressure evenly to your feet.

I use a Pro-Stretch several times a day. It's great for stretching my calf muscles, which get tight and cause plantar fasciitis for me. We have a sports medicine/active release therapy doctor we use at work. He recommended the Pro-Stretch. If you can find a good ART guy in your area, they help a lot.

Check your shoes. I had several pair for work that I rotated. I had it bad and figured out I had a pair of rockports that were comfortable but had no support in the arch. Got rid of those shoes and rarely have a problem anymore.

I tried everything. Started wearing arch supports every day and my problem went away. No more flip flops either.

I had the plantar for about 18 months. An aerobics instructor told me it doesn't go away, you have to get rid of it. She suggested using a golf ball to stretch the tendon in my foot. That didn't work for me but there is a foot massager with two rotating knobby discs, and that did the trick. I let the knobs on the disc run across that tendon like twanging a guitar string. I've been free of it fir years now.

https://shop.fireflybuys.com/shop-a...atsu-pro-foot-massager-with-heat-box-damaged/

Last edited:
Yeah plantar fasciitis is a stubborn affliction. Mine is pretty well under control but it has take most of a year.

Things that helped for me:

• Rolling the bottom of my foot on a frozen water bottle
  • Staying off the darn thing
  • Lots of ibuprofen
  • Custom shoe inserts for disc golf shoes; and
  • Kuru shoes, which have a cushioned area under the heel, for work/casual

I did get shots, but they did not seem to provide long-lasting relief.

Any shoe recommendations?

No, but I can give some advice since I tore part of my plantar fascia after having faciitis initially.

1. Rest - if it hurts, DON'T push it

2. LOTS of stretching - it's caused by tight calf/achilles

3. Hot/cold therapy when it flares up - 15 minutes with your foot in an ice bucket, 15 in warm water, alternate that for 90minutes

Get shoes for daily wear and disc golf that don't have a large heel to toe drop.

edit: I didn't realize this was an 8 year necro lol

Ice soaks and tape on your shins. My trainer in college wrapped me in about 3 different areas of my shins. It's all related. I found Nike shoes kicked my ass. I have had much better luck with Converse and honestly, it's a crap shoot with trying most brands. Nike though, is the worst for me in regards to causing flair ups.!