• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plastic addiction

JFibeZZZ

Birdie Member
So I have this coworker that I recently got into disc golf. He already had a few discs, but would use mine when he came over to throw at my basket. Well after one round he went out and bought the same basket and 5 new discs. A few that are good for beginners with poor form, but also a few useless ones for his skill. I told him this, but since he has ordered 8 discs ranging from a Zombee to a legacy cannon. I tried to tell him he was wasting money, but he is hooked. I had a somewhat similar experience, but listened to my fellow discers and disced up once my skill rose.

Anyone have someone just not take your advice?

the zombie is actually a good beginner driver. I'm going through this with a friend of a friend he just went out and bought a D4. I said "well at least you bought that and not a D2" lol. Then I had him throw my switch a couple times and was sailing it past the D4....

The passion one feels when the hook is set is fantastic. Let him experience it, and learn from his mistakes.

Been there, and loved it.

He's going to understand it better figuring it out for himself than just hearing it from you. You gave your advice, if he doesn't want to listen now he will after you continue to improve and he doesn't. Either way as long as he's having fun it's all good.

I find telling people not to buy certain discs never works. So my friends who are new to the sport I show them how to do field work for practice. I get them to throw all their discs and casually point out which ones flew better/farther for them. Usually after seeing all the discs 5 feet from each other and the slower discs actually farther they start asking the right questions and listening.

Anyone have someone just not take your advice?
Yes, and that's how I learned not to give it unless explicitly asked for it. Passionate people are going to be passionate and not necessarily make smart decisions. Testosterone has a means of making that worse.

I threw my buddy's boss the first time I ever threw an it's was just horrible couldn't do **** went out got myself a leopard an couldn't believe how much better I threw

I have a friend that keeps buying pro discs, and they're not doing him any good. His most hilarious struggle disc is a Boatman...it just won't stay on a straight line for him. He asked me to try it out, so I gave it a shot. Parked it within 2 feet of the target from 350 feet out. Feels good, man.

I'm sure many people on this site also went through this phase as well. It's tough these days with all of the high speed stable/overstable drivers that have come out in the last few years but he'll come around eventually when he realizes he can't hit a fairway or make it out past 300'. There's a lot of ego involved, and even when they're brand new, a lot of players thinks 'aw, surely I've got the arm speed to handle this". I know for me it wasn't until I really learned how to harness the power of a putter of the tee that I saw a dramatic improvement in may handling of bigger discs.

there is no no stopping it......its like a cancer. he will figure it out in time and you might a get a sweet deal on some used plastic after its all said and done. it took me a full year and probobly close to $1k in plastic and gear(i buy for wife and 2 kids also) to come come back to dx fairway speed and under in the end. i would probably still do better to keep bag down to 6 or less discs........but thats not gonna happen. I am now selling off some of my stash this spring on the local craigs. sold 18 discs last night....i learned a bunch in the process and had fun doing so...... Still cost less than a years worth of ball golf and play all my body will allow, not what my wallet dictates.

I've done the same thing. Heck, Dicks Sporting Good's Innova display say the Katana and Vulcan are beginner disks.

But, in the end, it's still pretty cheap. It's still fun to try out new stuff.

Been there, done that, too.

We have a whole rack of discs that we tried and discarded. Most are just to fast for me, others hubby tried and then found something better. We really oughta sell some of them. I'd bet we've spent $1,000+ as well.