• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plastic Paver pads for Tee Pads?

JerryS

Anyone ever see a course that used "grass pavers" for tee pads? They are plastic grid panels or rolls that lay on top of a thin gravel or rock base and then is filled with more gravel. They are less labor intensive since you don't need to dig as deep or use as much rock base. There are several brands out there. I was looking at HexPave. The same company has a heavy duty version called EasyPave. Another company has a rolled version called NDS Tufftrack Gravel Paver. Cement pads are a very difficult option in the middle of a hilly forest.

I've seen them on maybe a handful of courses, but very few. I think Ashe County had them on some of the Hillier holes, which makes sense.

It's much harder to install concrete tees in very hilly, heavily wooded terrain. Some of those tee locations just aren't easily accessible to install concrete... at least not without significant expense. Much easier to install pavers like you describe in such a setting.

When properly installed, they're pretty good. I can't say how durable they are, but I'd imagine they do all right in that regard.

Last edited:
I'll say I'd rather have a good crushed gravel pad over a rubber pad or a too small concrete pad. The field turf tees I have played have been awesome, so don't ignore those as a possibility.

I would think the long term issue might be maintenance? Installation might be harder with concrete, but is it a "pay me now or pay me later" choice? Will you just end up redoing work every 3 years? Something to consider beforehand.

I discovered the HexPave plastic grid was "too grippy". I bought enough for a small home project. I tested out the HexPave after installing it with gravel filling the cups. The treads on my tennis shoes grabbed the edges of the plastic grid when teeing off of the plant foot and twisting.

I now think maybe using plastic shipping pallets with artificial turf is the answer.

I discovered the HexPave plastic grid was "too grippy". I bought enough for a small home project. I tested out the HexPave after installing it with gravel filling the cups. The treads on my tennis shoes grabbed the edges of the plastic grid when teeing off of the plant foot and twisting.

I now think maybe using plastic shipping pallets with artificial turf is the answer.

lower stiff carpet used in Schools/some public buildings old scraps/cheep rugs might be the answer too on the covered sheet style plastic pallet. Could be a lower $$ option if this is just a private course. If public and not a private course the Artificial Turf might be the way to go.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...p.ds&msclkid=3fa71d2ab56a161b937542c01622237f

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...b4cc1cc2358318ad1d7b432896f465b6&gclsrc=3p.ds

Second is almost long enough on its own.

Last edited: