• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BEAVER RANCH AND CONCRETE TEE PADS!!

ponto11

Bogey Member
The following is from Rudy:

I spent time yesterday at Beaver Ranch with Oscar who does concrete work and brainstormed tee pad install. He's on board to help us out next Sat & Sun. Sept 29th & 30th. Initially we were going to bring in a truck of pre-mixed concrete but a number of people have confirmed including Oscar that the concrete will go bad in the time that it would take to pour resulting in cracking which would not be good. We'll have to mix the concrete on location which saves money but will also be labor intensive.

We'll utilize the existing ties as forms wherever possible.

Saturday the 29th will be form and prep, Sunday the 30th will be pour and finish. If we need to we'll plan on continuing the following weekend October 6th & 7th. I'll be getting materials gathered and will also work on Friday the 28th at the park. We'll need to haul as much sand-gravel mix, cement and water up top to each pad as possible. We'll have use of the Kabota and Polaris quad.

I know it's short notice and may not work with everyone's schedule but I'm asking please to set aside as much time as you can to help out.

The following is a list of items that we can use starting Friday. If anyone can supply the first four key items let me know. Dave can you send this out to Mile High and see if we can get help from them?

*Dump trailer (this would be huge and would make the job so much easier)
*1 ton truck to haul trailer with sand-gravel mix up top
*Gas powered cement mixer (Oscar will bring 1 but the more people we have the more mixers we can run.)
*Water Cistern
Wheelbarrows
Tarps
Picks, shovels, rakes

Please call me if you have any questions and hope to see you all there on Saturday so we can get concrete tee pads a reality at BR!

Thanks,
Rudy
303-838-2777

Awesome! I always thought there was something that was with the park that made this improbable.

The park is supportive of putting in the tee pads. They are supporting us with funds for the materials. We need to come up with the workers to complete. So if you're so inclined and don't mind working hard towards the cause, it will be greatly appreciated!!

I've helped mix a lot of teepads by hand. We did probably 25-30 in Charlotte for worlds including an entire course. It takes a lot longer than you think. If you have the option to truck in 'crete do it for as many holes as you can, it will be cheaper and easier. You can get a 4-6 yard load and do 6 pads or so. It would take 30 minutes to pour them if you had enough wheelbarrowers (assuming none of these holes you can pour directly into the pad) Instead of the 30 minutes per hole it will take you.

I think you get about 2.5 hrs to unload a concrete truck before they have to dump it and washout the insides. That would be enough time to get quite a number of pads done... Renting a bobcat or tractor with a bucket makes quick work of pad pouring from a truck. We probably poured 50 pads in this fashion prepping for Worlds.

Thanks and I will forward on.

Beaver Ranch is not very accessible. It's mountainous terrain and some tee boxes are not accessible even by bobcat.

It sounds like you already have the concrete thing figured out but I had thought a mountain course like Beaver Ranch would be a great place for the patio block paver teepads. Build the forms to size, haul in some sand and lay your pavers. I think the pavers, when done well, are about 98% as good as concrete.

Either way, IMO, Beaver Ranch is a top 10 national course. I've played two of the other current top 10's and although they're both much more difficult than BR, they don't compare in natural beauty and again in my humble opionion, in the total package. Good luck either way. Get it back in the top 10!

I'm no expert but pavers in a snow prone area sounds like a bad idea, the ground shifting, expanded and contracting.

Was already in my wish list. Now it's even further up my list. I'm going to forward this to my buddy Tom who moved out that way recently from Humboldt. Hopefully he will have the time to help you out, or can at least forward it to the new disc golf friends he has made out that way.

I'm no expert but pavers in a snow prone area sounds like a bad idea, the ground shifting, expanded and contracting.

My home course gets a lot of snow and is pavers. It is now 5 or 6 years old and the pavers are just fine.

So, if you're setting up the tees on this weekend, would that mean the course is closed then?

Concrete tee pads at Beaver Ranch!!

First concrete tee pad at Beaver Ranch!!

FFDGC can use your help if you can make it out tomorrow to help. Please call Rudy or Ponto at 303.838.2777/303.944.6663.

60227_4106016083061_341410651_n.jpg

560411_4106016523072_1848626829_n.jpg

Thanks.

Ponto

wow and even wire reenforced!
very cool, wish I could have gotten up, had to teach some kids how to play at a memorial tourney for one of their fellow students.

We completed holes 4,5,10, and 17 as well as hole 1.

We may do more this weekend but the cooler temperatures and shorter days along with a poor weather forecast might shelve our progress until spring but we are really excited about this major improvement!!

Are you ready to sharpen your pencils and adjust your ratings yet?!?! Maybe, maybe not, but trust me, by next year all of the tee pads will be concrete.

As a sidenote, for those of you who are looking for a longer layout, now's the time to play Beaver Ranch. I moved holes 1, 4, 9, and 18 to the long. Hole 17 has two longs. I'll probably move 20 to the infamous long position as well.

Hole 10
229854_4112394082507_1678783730_n.jpg

Hole 4
550492_4112392322463_1344558930_n.jpg

Hole 5
578504_4112392562469_174038399_n.jpg

Hole 17 (bomber, two pins on this position. Have you noticed the 507' long?)
282278_4112392202460_2133797182_n.jpg

480698_4112393762499_120115466_n.jpg

Yay, you followed Bobcat and tractor advice!!

Pads take you longer or as long as you expected?

Holy crap is that course gonna be awesome...

Latest posts