• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

plastics, man, plastics

JLHJLH

okay (I'm also new to the sport after a 40 year hiatus, we used to play on par three golf courses with beach frisbees), I can not figure out how to identify a disc I might like to buy as regards the type of plastic it is made with. I understand "dome" and "edge" and durability and all the rest of the characteristics that I should use to pay attention to the disc, but, outside of "champion" clearly written on some discs I can not seem to find any designation that lets me know what it is made of. I have a yellow wraith (which, after about 300 bucks worth of experimentation is the disc I seem to like the best), but if I want to buy another one JUST LIKE IT, how do I know?

thanks

If it's yellow and doesn't say "star" or "champion," my guess is that it's DX, or Innova's baseline plastic. Weight is probably written on the back (in grams), if you want to try to match that. If you want real confirmation, feel free to take a picture of the front and back and attach it to your post. Then the real experts around here can make sure you're clear.

Hope that helps. Welcome back! Enjoy! In case the $300 wasn't enough, don't forget to try out some "lids" (e.g. a Polecat) or some classic midranges, like a Comet. And if you have an ultimate disc like an Ultrastar, it's actually PDGA-legal. The main problem with using it on the course is that it's so different in size from other golf discs.

Innova's baseline plastic doesn't have any name for the plastic on it. It's referred to as DX. All of their other plastics will have the plastic name in front of the mold name (for example, Champion Wraith, Star Aviar, Pro Teebird). The general order of plastics for Innova is DX, Pro, Champion and Star. There are variants of the different plastics (R-Pro, Blizzard Champion, G-Star, and so forth)

But Innova puts the plastic name in front of the mold on all of their plastics EXCEPT for DX. The DX discs usually have crazy artwork on them that the others don't get. So if it has the hooded flying death wraith on it, it's DX. None of the others, except for special runs, get this artwork.

I have a yellow wraith (which, after about 300 bucks worth of experimentation is the disc I seem to like the best), but if I want to buy another one JUST LIKE IT, how do I know?

thanks

You put picture here, I tell you. Easy peasy

thanks folks . . . . . I've already discovered that this is going to be my new obsession and getting all this help is very encouraging. I've been playing (every day) since Spring actually.
I'm a bit older (64), throw a maximum of about 240 feet, try to keep only three discs in my bag at any time (wraith 175, buzz and maybe a spectra 166) and generally shoot for "3's". My next question has to do with oldschool discs. I've seen someone playing with some of my old disc golf (I think we called it "gofling" at the time) discs, large flat black "drivers" and a few smaller, catchable "frisbees" . . . . at least these can almosst always be found . . . . . so, what ARE the rules regarding types of discs?

I promise not to be too much of a nuisance.
regards
JL

Another new person here - first of all, I don't think you should worry about being a nuisance, or be apologetic. You are asking great questions, and I for one am reading all the responses with interest equal to yours. I am positive other newbies are, too. Your question totally helped clear up the whole Innova line of plastics for me (which is what I mostly have, except for also having a Buzzz!)

Secondly, I have talked to some really nice folks at the course I play at, and they told me they REALLY WANT to get new people interested. Having new people coming in is good in so many ways - new blood keeps it interesting. More enthusiasm for the sport is good in SO many ways! And the sport is inherently social, so players seem eager to find new people to play with. And even to teach, and mentor.

I know I'm not nearly good enough to play with REAL DGer's yet...but might do so anyway, because they seem to want me to, and because I know I'll learn from them. I am worried about slowing the game down, with not driving any distance - and extremely self-conscious about throwing in front of good players. I tell myself they have all been in my position, though. Nowhere to go but up, right? :)

I admire you sticking to 3 discs! I am not even throwing 200 feet yet, and I don't get to play every day - more like 2-4 times a week. That said, I already have 8 discs, though I have started leaving several in the car, and usually carry 5 or 6 on the course. I do throw more than one driver from the tee, if there's no one else on the course, to get more practice. So that explains the extras. I have 2 Sidewinders that I haven't totally given up on yet, but also throw a Leopard 3 and a Buzz, have been using them more since I got them. And then I have 2 putt/approach that I'm experimenting with, one Innova, and one a cool flexible Discraft that feels more like a conventional Frisbee (forget the names of these 2!).

Again, thanks for your question - it helped me, too. Good luck with your game!

thanks

I play with a wraith . . . .plasticwise it is a DX (but I just bought a new "star" wraith) 171 gms, as a driver. I'm up to about 230 feet (on a good day . . .on an open hole where I can't hit any trees). To me it's all about the "spin" so after about a thousand throws I watched a 9 year old toss a couple, all curled up, all wound up and he unleashed it like a flying saucer. I went down to some very light discs to try to learn the technique . . . . then I've moved back up to the heavy ones. Can't control a 13, don't see many 12'a , but the wraith has withstood all challenges. It seems to improve with age (dents and chips). I have learned a tremendous amount about drives from the internet, and the trick, I think, is knowing one's limitations.

I'm all about the "3's" with occassional "2's" . . . . "4's" when there are trees.

thanks,
J

...My next question has to do with oldschool discs. I've seen someone playing with some of my old disc golf (I think we called it "gofling" at the time) discs, large flat black "drivers" and a few smaller, catchable "frisbees" . . . . at least these can almosst always be found . . . . . so, what ARE the rules regarding types of discs?

Greetings from another who tossed Wham-O Frisbees in the '70's, took a thirty year hiatus, and 'dscovered' 'modern' disc golf later in life (five years ago, at age 50)!

Practically everything out there you might see flying, is pdga approved for tournament play. I think they've tried to limit unfair advantage and dangerous stuff, so older, slower discs have usually gotten 'grandfathered in'.

Unfortunately, this means literally thousands of choices, when we're trying to learn to control our wild throws. The best results are usually made by finding a few disc molds that we can control at our current level, getting a backup or ten, and throwing often, while learning from more experienced players. Eventually that bag of discs will settle down to a group of 'reliables'.

Murphy's Law, of course, dictates THAT's when the 'best' disc you own winds up lost in the thick or the lake...:(

thanks murph

there is, of course, a corollary to murphy's law: murphy was an optimist.

So far, after playing about a hundred rounds (this summer, I live near a very good course, and I'm getting to the point where I can address the trees by their given names), I have discovered the following;
I can not handle a 13 . . . .(I'm 64 and just can't get around enough, nor am I strong enough any more). Secondly cheap plastic (DX) works better for me than any other, particularly with a wraith (nice picture on it as well). Today as I was merely browsing in the disc store a spectra jumped out of the rack and told me to take it gofling. I haven't tried it yet, but I have read that the thing fades right on a back hand (right hand) drive . . . . we'll see.
Anyway, thanks for replying. I'm on to my 7th or 8th course tomorrow with some friends.
regards,
J.

stratus

I've been practicing rollers (a tool we used to rely on back in the day, beach frisbees could be counted on to roll in ever decreasing spirals until they struck the pin) . . . . I'm looking for an actual chance to make the chains from around 40 or fifty feet. Rollers are great for laying up and for getting under trees or through them, and I have practiced til I can't any more. Putts, from 30 feet out and closer are something I practice daily. How do most real players throw from fifty feet? (no, my thumber is no more accurate than it was 40 years ago).

In terms of longer putts, I have seen three choices. 1) Just throwing it harder. For most mere mortals... there comes a point where the ceiling is too low, or the distance is too great to just ratchet up the speed you put on the disc when you putt, so at some point (50-60 feet for me) you move to another option. These two seem to be the step through, where you generate more force with your legs and as you follow through you simply step over your lie, which can be done if you aren't inside the circle... or the jump putt. I struggle with the jump putt and consistency, but I use it to lay up when I am 80-100 feet out or so. There are lots of really good jump putters who can hit between 2-5 out of 10 from 60 feet out, which to me is mind blowing.

Putts, from 30 feet out and closer are something I practice daily. How do most real players throw from fifty feet? (no, my thumber is no more accurate than it was 40 years ago).

If you're trying to make putts from 50' then it's usually a case of get really really good at 30'...then it stretches to 35'...then it stretches to...and so on. Eventually your make range gets wider as your technique is more refined. It takes time. I have to change my technique by the time I hit 50' and my make % goes way down.

But if you're thinking more of a lay up, this video is a good one to watch:

thanks folks! I'm playing with a "mid range" grip on these shots, middle finger extended (instead of snug against the edge) towards the center of the disc, second finger only slightly curled, first finger (first digit) tight against the rim (or pointing down the edge), and fourth finger up against the rib.
My draw is not nearly as pronounced as a drive . . . . . the (great) video here, which is all about the backswing, adds materially to this.
God this is fun!

_