• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play Pro or Advanced

Jaysauls

Gold level trusted reviewer
Been catching some grief due to my 9 wins, in years. 6 are in Adv. Masters. Now some local folks are pushing to 'go Pro!'. I'm nowhere near Pro level. Current rating is 939, not a crusher, just a dude that scrambles REALLY well out of the rough! The argument to make me go Pro is that 'it will allow other players (I qualify to play ADV GRAND MASTERS) a chance to win'. And that I'm 'suppressing the field' by winning 1 tournament a year!' Thoughts?

Do what feels right. I have played a few Int tourneys just because I didn't feel right being the highest rated player in rec. Remember you can always play up to pro/pro master/grandmasters on familiar courses or in small local events, and still play AM divisions when you don't know the course or are at a big event. Basically, do what you feel is right for you and don't let anyone else make your decision for you.

Been catching some grief due to my 9 wins, in years. 6 are in Adv. Masters. Now some local folks are pushing to 'go Pro!'. I'm nowhere near Pro level. Current rating is 939, not a crusher, just a dude that scrambles REALLY well out of the rough! The argument to make me go Pro is that 'it will allow other players (I qualify to play ADV GRAND MASTERS) a chance to win'. And that I'm 'suppressing the field' by winning 1 tournament a year!' Thoughts?

Play where you want.

There is no ratings cap or dividing line between Pro Masters and Am Masters, nor should there be. It's an age based division, not a skill based one. You earned the right to play there the same as they did...by living at least 40 years on this planet.

The thing people forget when it comes to age based divisions is that the door swings both ways. If you won't move out, they can move out instead. If players feel "suppressed" or "bagged" by you and your 939 rating, they can always move to Intermediate or Rec (if their rating allows) to escape you. They're not trapped. They're not victims.

The argument to make me go Pro is that 'it will allow other players ...a chance to win'. And that I'm 'suppressing the field' by winning 1 tournament a year!' Thoughts?

You don't owe anyone else anything. You are not your brother's keeper. You are not obligated to "allow" others anything they don't earn. If they want to win, make them beat YOU to do it. If they don't like it, too darn bad.

Just take all those comments as semi-humorous compliments.

Play where you feel like you'll have the most fun. That might be playing with age peers, with a larger field, or any combination of factors.
Male, 50 years or older this year, with a 939 rating and never cashed in a Pro event, you are eligible to play amateur in MA1, MM1, MG1, or pro in MPO, MPM, MPG. The only thing that would change is if you accept a cash payout in a sanctioned event, that 939 would take you out of MM1 & MG1.
Personally, I was in a similar situation up until my first trip to Am Worlds last year. Though I've got a more humble 900 rating, I went on a hot streak in May & June in MG1, but wanted to wait to play pro until after Worlds, so that's what I did. Now I donate to the pro grandmasters around here, and am fine with that. :eek:

I get the same thing Jay as I won 11 times this year in MG1 along with 10 seconds and I'm just a lowly 906. If I ever won an Am Worlds, then I would of course. I look forward to battling you more in the future.

Now our friend James Elkins who has 2 amateur world titles and US Masters to boot should definitely go pro... LOL!

those guys would hate it around here...we've got 950-960 guys playing in Adv Masters...

Play where you wanna play...just tell those other fellas to "DO BETTER".

I would play were you want to play, but also give an open master tournament a try and see how you stand out. If your goals are to advance your play and push yourself against the best in your field, then try one or two pro tournaments. If your goal is to go out and have fun and not stress about pushing yourself, stay were you are at and enjoy life outdoors.

I've been in Master Pro or older since 1990. My rating was 939 in 2005 when 52 and am currently 939 at 62. If you look at my competition files, you can see I've played in 7 or 8 different divisions in the past five years with about 8-9 total wins in different divisions.

http://www.pdga.com/player/4949

You should at least consider turning pro so at certain events, you could at least earn cash if you finish in the money. And unless you really want to go to Am Worlds, your division flexibility should not be impacted too much. (Un)fortunately, your rating may dip below 935 at times so you could enter Adv Master again.

There is no ratings cap or dividing line between Pro Masters and Am Masters, nor should there be. It's an age based division, not a skill based one. You earned the right to play there the same as they did...by living at least 40 years on this planet.

Per 2016 PDGA Ratings Guidelines:
A Pro Master can play in Advanced Masters as long as their rating is <935.
A Pro Grandmaster can play in Advanced GrandMasters as long as their rating is <900.

Ams can play pretty much any division they want except for A Tiers and NTs.

As an Advanced Grandmaster I've rode the roller coaster my first 2 years of playing PDGA events. I've won 9 events in that period, but lost, played horrid, in many others as well. I'm staying am but plan on playing Pro Master & Grandmaster in several tournaments for the experience & hopefully better my game. I figure 60.00 for 4 hours of disc golf lessons isn't that bad. ;) lol..

Per 2016 PDGA Ratings Guidelines:
A Pro Master can play in Advanced Masters as long as their rating is <935.
A Pro Grandmaster can play in Advanced GrandMasters as long as their rating is <900.

I'm aware of the guidelines for Pros playing Am. But if one is an Am, which the OP is, there is no threshold at which he must turn pro. Which was my point.

Do what you want, but if you haven't accepted cash, I would highly suggest staying Am and going to Am Worlds at least once.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Pretty much what I thought. I've told the guys urging my to move up to make their game better!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Pretty much what I thought. I've told the guys urging my to move up to make their game better!

:hfive:

At some point I'd like to start playing Masters, but I'm a ways off as of now. Really looking forward to Am Worlds this year, though.

:hfive:

At some point I'd like to start playing Masters, but I'm a ways off as of now. Really looking forward to Am Worlds this year, though.

I wanna play Worlds at least once before I turn 40. I'm 31, so I should have time to get kind of decent at this game before hitting up Masters.

At 53, I play open masters or under 40 advanced unless a top masters pro is playing. Then I'll consider jumping to grand masters if there's at least a handful of gm's signed up. It's more fun to win in divisions where you're challenged anyway.

...The argument to make me go Pro is that 'it will allow other players (I qualify to play ADV GRAND MASTERS) a chance to win'...

That's jealousy and selfish. The next time someone tells you that, you tell them that if they want a chance to win, they better get better.

It's not your fault that they think they deserve a trophy because they signed up.

I have to endure some annoying comments when i win a tournament as a 952 rated Am1 player but i'm not giving up my am status anytime soon. For one thing going to big events in which you actually have a chance to compete is a lot of fun. I've been to am nats and intend to one day go to am worlds and i don't see much incentive to give up those opportunities. For another, amateurs are the backbone of the sport and i like the fact that when i pay my entry fee a certain portion of that goes back to the club or the TD.

I see 940-950 rated golfers pressured every year to move up to open to donate to the handful of 1000 rated players that are in contention. I then often see them pissed off at finishing at the bottom of the pack. play where you have the most fun.

Latest posts