• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Played Idlewild Today

Plectrum54

I played Idlewild in Burlington, KY today. Wow, what a tough course! And if that wasn't enough, it rained the whole time. Some of the hills were so muddy and slick I could barely walk them. And the wind was blowing my umbrella inside out at times. So, why did I do it? I've had this day planned for weeks and wasn't going to give in to the weather. My wife was in the area on business and I took a day off to join her and play this epic course.

If you're not familiar with Idlewild, read some reviews. There's going to be a natonal tour event there in August. I can't wait to see how the pros handle it. I might be wrong, but I can't see them throwing 30-40 under par in this tournament lIke they do in some others. Anyone else played this course? BTW, this might be my first post, not sure.

Great course, very well known.
I'm also looking forward to the pro tour there this year for the same reasons.

Had a little problem with the rain there a few years back during a tournament. I think this is hole 16.

Wow, it wasn't that bad today, but the bridges to the green on 15, I think, the 1,000 ft hole, we're washed out. I didn't see them until after I'd thrown on and had to backtrack quite a ways to retrieve my putter.

They are always on top of fixing those bridges.
As far as I know it's never flooded like that since then at Idlewild.

They had a pretty good one last year. My sunday group spent 15 or 20 minutes rebuilding part of the wall around 15's green.

I see you're in SW Ohio Jay. Me too, just south of Dayton. Sycamore in Miamisburg and Twin Creek in Germantown are my home courses.

Nice! I played Germantown black 27 Sunday.
There are quite a few on here from this area.

Yes there are!

Plectrum54, welcome to the Idlewild fan club! Just played there Sunday ourselves. That course always provides highlights (missed acing hole 9 by about 12 inches to the right) and lowlights (do I have to mention taking a 7 on hole 6).

btw, Fred Salaz posted on Facebook that Boone County is updating many of the bridges even as we speak, and is exploring ways to re-use some of the old materials at other parks.

Thanks Brock, for helping with the retaining cores, it seems like that needs a little TLC every time the waters get bad in that creek bed.

Ehh, I cant take much credit. I was pretty wiped out by then and only moved a couple. Chief and TimmyV were like spider monkeys on it...

I think some judgement should be used on our fragile eco systems and yes fragile dg greens.

When it is this wet and muddy stay home. Otherwise you are just trashing the courses by trying to go up and down greens only adding to the erosion problems.

It's taken me four hours to play a round at Idlewild before. All 24 holes and only 2 of us.
That was the best I've felt while completely worn out. :thmbup:

Also, I've have been playing in wet conditions for years, on all types of courses. They have always recovered with no scars.

Idlewild is also an exception to normal course erosion. There are multiple man-made built up greens with turf. Also, the course doesn't get a whole ton of traffic, usually. So most of the greens in the open have little to no exposed dirt around the basket like you typically see at well traveled courses. There are a couple holes in the woods where if its real muddy you could leave some decent footprints. But some of them have gravel around them(Hole 9 comes to mind).

Last edited:
Great course. Just wish I had time to play it twice when I was there.

I don't think I left any scars on the course. I didn't attempt to get on a couple of the island greens for just that reason, and they were in the process of building new bridge frames, so I stayed off those. It was two of the new frames that were washed out on the long hole.

Idlewild is a fantastic layout. Had a great time when I played there a few years ago.

Latest posts