• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Played my first round in NE Ohio

ThunderEagle

Par Member
So, I played my first round last night at Punderson State Park. I live only 20 minutes away from this park, and have been there many times. In fact, I really enjoy archery and Punderson has a standing range, as well as a 14 target field course (kind of like the golf of archery), that the last couple of years I have volunteered to help clean up a bit. However, I have never been on the Disc Golf course.

Anyhow, my wife and I went down to the Ohio State Fair this last weekend and saw in the ODNR section a few baskets setup, with a couple of people talking about the game. Looked like a lot of fun. As I was researching things, I discovered there are 12 courses within 25 miles of me in Chesterland, OH, and I think it was 49 within 50 miles.

I had reached out to the group that takes care of the course at Punderson, and if the weather was good, going to there leagues this Saturday and potentially buying some discs from them. Well, I've never been a patient man, so last night I decide to try and dodge the rain and see what this is all about. Off to MC Sports, purchased a Discraft Starter pack (Stratus, Buzzz and Magnet) and off I go.

As I pulled into the parking lot, dark clouds and thunder was rolling in, but I though it might move through fairly quickly, and before it started to rain, I was messing around there at what I can only describe as a putting green. Apparently it is a little game where they have blocks from 1-9 and you take your puts, scoring the block number if you land. That was humbling. :) Did that a couple of times, then the rain started. It did move through, and as I was getting ready to get out of the truck, a couple of cars pulled up and I was able to go out on the course with 3 young guys (Mike, Pete and Kyle I think, horrible with names). I pretty much stuck with the Buzzz the entire course, and my form needs a lot of work, and I have some wicked curve to my back hand throw, but discovered a forehand seems to be much more controllable for me.

I'm hoping to get my wife involved at some point as well, as that was a lot more enjoyable to me than just taking a walk. The funny part is, due to my enjoyment of archery, I would probably not even take a look at this, but this spring/summer I've been dealing with a tendon injury in my left elbow that has not allowed me to shoot like I normally do. Luckily I shoot my bow left handed due to eye dominance, so my right arm is find to try out Disc Golf!

I pretty much played everything pretty safe the entire course, didn't really keep score, although I believe I had a lot of 5s but one legit par on the hole where I did my first forehand throw.

A quick anecdote, back when I was in thrid grade, we lived in a house in Zaneville for a year before my dad was transferred. This neighborhood had a lot of children in it, and we were always doing something. Riding bikes, football, wiffle ball, and yes, even Disc Golf. It was regular Frisbee's, and we each only had one. Hole were that street sign, that tree, that telephone poll, etc. This would have been back in 77-78 time frame, so I guess that wasn't my first round after all. :)

OK, quick stupid joke time, the young men I was playing with last night were telling me how a curve one way was a hyzer, and the opposite an anhyzer. My reaction was, if one is an "Anheuser" the other one should be called a "Busch." Ba-dum-dump!

Any suggestions for potentially other discs I might want to pick up to start?

Welcome! I like your part of the country; went through Zanesville after visiting The Wilds a few years back. Got ice cream at Tom's; was pretty great!

Disc golf is awesome. I took it up because tennis was getting too hard on my knees. Wish I had discovered it years ago!

Oh, and as for discs, the Buzzz is great and you can keep it for a long time. I use mine almost every round. I use a Claymore for mid-range stuff and a Verdict also, depending on what kind of shot I am trying to make. Speedwise, they are about the same as your Buzzz. When you're ready to move up in speed a little, look into a River, one of my favorite discs. You might check out a Judge for putting; mine has done wonders for my game.

You got a buzzz and Stratus in your starter pack! I'm jelly, I got a XL and a stupid hawk lol!

Asromatifoso pretty much nailed it, the Buzzz is a great mid range and very very popular. Like he said once you're ready for some fair way drivers I'd recommend trying out a Teebird-L as well as a regular Teebird. (Disclaimer: I love and currently bag a River, but they can be nose sensative. Once you've mastered the TL or Teebird, step it up and get a Gold Line River, it will glide for days when thrown flat) And as for the putter I love the Judge and Yeti Pro Aviar's, but would recommend the Judge to start.

To be honest you got a pretty solid starter pack, out of my starter pack (XL, Hawk, Magnet). I used the magnet the most, replaced the XL almost immediately with a DX Teebird and the Hawk a few months later in favor of a DX Roc. And that's how my plastic addiction began..

You got a buzzz and Stratus in your starter pack! I'm jelly, I got a XL and a stupid hawk lol!

Well, there were 3 or 4 starter packs there, and I was able to look what was included. Reading earlier I knew the Buzzz was considered one of the best all around discs. I don't throw it real well, but I guess that is to be expected.

How the heck do you throw these things straight? :p

Punderson's course is always described in reviews as highly technical. Tons of trees, not much grass. I bet a lot of discs get lost in the fall when it is a bed of leaves.

Punderson is a great course! I played it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Im from north of Pittsburgh.

On how to throw discs straight...practice practice practice. Watch a lot of videos on Youtube of the top guys throwing and try to emulate them. Smooth is far. Need to find an empty field and just throw til your arm falls off, then do it all over again. Lots of repetition and muscle memory

Latest posts