• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PLAYER PACK question

rj29274

Double Eagle Member
Hi all,

I will be running an all AM event in Northern AZ (2018) and am curious about player packs. 108 player max

What item(s) would you love to get, other than plastic? In the past, I have seen umbrellas, stools, rainjackets, stainless steel Koozie, sunglasses, etc.

The entry fee for this event will be between 60-75 dollars for INT/ADV and 50 for Rec (Rec will not receive the special gift, only plastic)

I am looking at DGA, Innova, Discraft and Prodigy for sponsorship. Trilogy does not offer a very nice tourney sponsor package.

Thanks

something with the tourney stamp is what i would want. keep your stool as the only ones you would get that would be affordable aren't worth it. Umbrella, meh, most players already have 1. This is a tough question as i help run a b tier every year and we keep trying to out do our selves from previous years. We do a tourney stamped shirt with custom art work by a club member, tourney stamp disc, a stash mini(from Zing Mini) with sponsor logos and a spray bottle with a fan(From i believe falling putt). we had cool weather this year so the fan was meh but in past years its usually scorching.

with the amount you are charging though AMS will be up in arms if you don't give them value in the players pack. Its sad that i write that but its the truth.

Why not the special gift for Rec? Us Rec players like swag too. I thought the extra fees for INT/ADV usually went to boost payout, not to get a bigger player's pack.

with the amount you are charging though AMS will be up in arms if you don't give them value in the players pack. Its sad that i write that but its the truth.

^This is true.

A quality shirt or towel (or waterbottle) is always welcome in my player pack.

I don't want minis or koozie unless they are tourney stamped. Sunglasses and hats are hit or miss - I never use either so I'd rather not see those in player packs.

The only minis I like to see are "mini" discs - not marker minis, but like 'lil wizards or mini buzzes or any number of the new "mini" discs - those are fun.

None of the above. Things you're offering are either things I already have (and I can only use 1 umbrella at a time, or sit on 1 stool)---or things I don't have because I don't want (sunglasses, koozie).

I'm not keen on players packs anyway, but of the non-disc items that are useful, a shirt---a good shirt, quality, with a good print design, not a list of sponsors---works for me. I don't need another shirt.....but at least it'll get some use.

But I caution you away from shirts, because you have to deal with sizes.

If there must be a players pack, I much prefer a voucher, and a selection of discs or other items from which I can choose. Particularly if it includes stuff with cool tournament stamps.

A personalized item is another good choice. Either a shirt/towel with the players name/PDGA#. A big doubles tourney I played at last year gave out Dyemax Truths with name and PDGA numbers on them.

You are never going to get a good answer to this. Everyone wants something different. For instance, women would almost always prefer schwag to discs because most TDs just order popular molds that are too heavy and to OS for us. The main thing is to make sure you are upfront with the costs. Don't take 45 dollars from the entry fee and give someone a disc and a shirt. I think as long as the value is there, you shouldn't worry too much about what everyone thinks. Discs, shirts, stools, bags, someone will always complain, but if the value is there you should be fine.

The one thing that I will say, imo the best way to make everyone happy is to do a voucher to the vendor/vendors that are onsite. Say you want to do a thirty dollar player's pack, let them choose from the vendor. Its the only real way to make everyone happy.

I like stuff I can use. The Flint Town Flyers around here have taken to giving tournament stamped t-shirts instead of dri-fit. I do wear dri-fits to play in, during the summer, but don't wear them otherwise.....and I have a few dozen. The t-shirts are great and I can wear them anytime. Socks are really cool, if they are smart wool. I have enough discs, minis, umbrellas, stools......a jacket might be cool.

As a pro player, I am used to at least 100$ for entry fees. What do Am's expect? Is 75 too high? This would be a 3-4 disc player pack, a special gift, and top 1/3 payout to each division. Also, top 3 get trophies in divisions with 10 or more.

I would like my reasonable entry fee to cover costs associated with the tournament, a reasonable lunch (if 2 rounds in day), and improvements to the course or club. I have no use for swag. It's nearly entirely junk that won't leave my trunk. If swag is needed, stamped disc or towel is best. But I hate towels with logos, as the screen printed part of the towel sucks at doing towel things. There's really not a good answer.

Or, perhaps, use swag money to raffle off something nice (basket, bag), though people are going to differ on what is considered nice and desired.

Bottom line is, if I can get a version of what you are giving away from the Geico table at the state fair, then I don't want it.

What level of events are talking about? Atier? B? I would expect to pay $30-45 at a Btier for rec/int in this area. The lower end, the pack would likely be a disc, mini, cozy/clipboard/towel/birdiebag(or dirtbag). The higher end would probably get a shirt on top of the other things I mentioned.

Though, according to a friend that moved out west last year, the entry fees are higher out there than in Ohio...

As a pro player, I am used to at least 100$ for entry fees. What do Am's expect? Is 75 too high? This would be a 3-4 disc player pack, a special gift, and top 1/3 payout to each division. Also, top 3 get trophies in divisions with 10 or more.

Is this going to be a sanctioned event? If so you may want to look at the tour standards document provided by the pdga. They have a table of what the average entry for each tier and there is also payout info. Unless you are leaning towards a true amateur event you have to payout at least 45% of the field for AMs (could be 40 or 50, I don't remember right off the top of my head).

Go to the pdga website go to the events drop down and go down to Tournament Directors. A lot of the info is in there as far as sanctioning, what criteria is needed for each tier and a lot of other great info to help assist with the planning of an event.

I'm sure you already know you can't please everyone. This thread gives many examples why :)

One of the series in our area simply hands a voucher good for a certain amount of dollars at the local vendor as the player pack. This way the players can spend it on whatever they want and you hear less complaints.

My 2 cents

If this is your first time running a tourney, start small.

Most rec and int players don't want to spend anywhere near that amount. I personally think $30-40 is the maximum for those divisions in a C-tier. Their games aren't developed yet, so why scare people away with a huge price tag?

Also, don't waste money on trophies for top three. First place in each division should get them. Who wants a 3rd place trophy?

EDIT: nevermind, two day b-tier I see

Last edited:
I just read the Tour Standards doc, very helpful.

Anyway, what are some unique Player Pack items you would want????

Latest posts