• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing against less experienced players

I refuse to play with less-experienced players. Before a round I'll ask the card if anyone has less experience than I do. If anyone does have less experience I walk.

Stupid bloody n00bs, all n00bing it up.

So if everyone you play with is more experienced than you, would that make you the n00b the rest of the card leaves behind?

Sometimes to even out things with family members, we've played a format called "piggyback".

Say there are five of us. Everyone drives as usual. The catch is that on the first hole you can opt to take your upshot at any of the five lies, including your own. From that point to holing out, you are on your own.

Same rules applies on the second hole, except that you cannot use the lie of the person you used on the first hole, even if it was your own, so you only have four options.

On the third hole, you can't use either of the people you've "piggybacked" on the previous two holes, so you only have three options.

On the fourth hole, you have the two remaining options, and on the fifth hole, you must use the lie of the one person you have left. Better hope that person doesn't go OB on you.

Starting with the sixth hole, the process starts all over again.

Depending on the group, sometimes I've let players always opt to take their own drive.

I can't say it makes things more competitive, but it does make the game more social and fun.

This sounds interesting - so does everyone get to choose which lie to shoot their upshot from? Also do you get to see all of the drives first or is it like Wolf where you have to call before the next person up throws?

I like fun games like this when I'm getting frustrated with myself.

I don't think I have ever beat anybody other than those I was introducing to the sport. I usually get one of the higher scores.

That being said, handicapping me is insulting. Let me just get the higher score. . . . I'll get there one day.

Latest posts