• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Alone...

pokamitch

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Just wanted your take on it. Here is mine:

I hate it personally. I play the game to meet people and develop frienships. On courses that I am familiar with, it ain't so bad.

Although, when playing a new course, it is the worst. At blind shots, I have nobody to spot/ spot for. (I have lost 2 disc in 2 rounds alone, now that I am in Orlando). There is nobody to give me a hint to where I am supposed to throw on these blinds, it is just horrible. I quit in the middle of both those rounds when I went up to the next blind after losing my disc. I can't afford to lose my plastic, I just don't have the $$ to buy new ones.

I love the game, just can't play it alone anymore. Some1 please get with me here (Orlando, FL) and start playing together. I may go on hiatus to the game if I can't develop a group of people to play with like I had in other states :(

It is hard to believe no-one plays down there...either way...I think we get to Orlando on Monday...not sure what the hell the plan is yet, but I know we are going to hit disc golf center and the Turkey courses.

As for playing alone, I don't mind it so much but it is much better with friends...waaaaaay faster by yourself though!!

I don't mind playing alone and probably do 90% of the time. I find it kind of relaxing a lot of the time.

I play by myself on local courses all the time, and don't really mind it. Given the choice I'd play with other people, but I won't let being alone stop me from enjoying the game. I don't go play new courses by myself, but that's only because the gf and I try to get out at least once or twice a month on trips to play new courses together.

I tend to have my best games when I play alone which sucks because no one I know can verify them. For example I shot a 40 at Lenora Park in Ga one day when I was alone. I just got on a roll and because of the quick speed of play I just stayed on it the whole game.

I usually play by myself because I don't often plan ahead when I'm going to play, and most people I know just aren't that spontaneous. In fact right now I'm trying to decide whether to go play a round or just relax at home and catch up on my laundry.

That is pretty funny I am trying to decide the exact same thing right now. It must be the Atlanta heat that is making it tough for us to decided between disc golf and laundry.

Hahaha no kidding...I have a ton of laundry to do and a sore arm and I am still itching to go to ERP.

Awesome job throwing a 40 at Lenora!! Any aces in that lot?

Nope no aces. Just tons of birdies I was so on that day it was ridiculous. I parked about half of the holes within set in distance and then was making 40-50 foot putts on other ones. I usually am not even reliable with a putter outside of 20 feet. I don't think I will ever be able to go lower out there than that day seeing that my average is to shoot about a 50.

I don't mind playing alone, especially if I'm having an "off" day.
I enjoy the fellowship off my DG buddies and miss them when I don't see them.

I don't mind playing alone and probably do 90% of the time. I find it kind of relaxing a lot of the time.

This is me too. Also before a tournament, it gives me a chance to try different things to see what works best without worrying about slowing down a group of people.

I have no qualms about playing alone, and in fact I've played a number of new (to me) courses by myself, especially when I'm on a trip.

I usually play by myself because I don't often plan ahead when I'm going to play, and most people I know just aren't that spontaneous. In fact right now I'm trying to decide whether to go play a round or just relax at home and catch up on my laundry.
thats the way i am i hate always having to plan stuff ahead of time then waiting around and putting up with b.s. about people saying they want to go play then changing their mind .

what i do is just tell people im gonna be there if you wanna play thats where ill be ,if your there thatll be cool if not im still going then hangup before they explain why they cant play "well maybe uhhh" im not gonna b.s. or try to talk them into going as i hate when people try to guilt me into playing when i dont want to

I tend to have my best games when I play alone which sucks because no one I know can verify them. For example I shot a 40 at Lenora Park in Ga one day when I was alone. I just got on a roll and because of the quick speed of play I just stayed on it the whole game.

I play alone alot also and have the same issue. I also can never seem to handle tournament pressure as compared to playing alone. I shot 6-10 shots higher in a tourney at my local course.

I play alone most of the time because the courses I like to play are 50-100 miles away from my home. Never get to meet many folks who are not in groups. I will say that there are a good number of ones and twos at BR Highland Road who will invite me to play, when they are there. I also don't go during the peak times, so there are not many on the course when I go. Like timg says, its still relaxing and fun.

Its always better with friends but sometimes flying solo is the best way to work on your game. Less pressure, less competition means that you can experiement with altrernate lines without the embarassment of proving that it was a foolish notion to begin with. Contrarilly, if you make a highlight reel shot and there is no one to witness it, it is not quite as satisfying.

One thing I do when I play alone is play two separate games. The first to tee is the shot/disc I would always play, then I try something else the second disc, then i play them both discs from where they land. Often, the second disc gets the lower score.

In general though, I enjoy playing with a pal way better.

I don't mind playing by myself, but I won't play my home course alone, because its full of snakes and hazards, and it a little dangerous to be out there in the woods alone. I use the buddy system on that course

I like playing alone, it's good for the soul. Most of the courses I've played away from central VA I tackled alone, I find it to be a bit of an adventure. Getting lost or losing discs can be the frustrating downside, though. I've lost a couple there in Orlando, at Gordon Barnett, in either the water or the underbrush. That and Turkey Lake, though, those are four nice courses.

Latest posts