• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Disc at Dusk-Do you shoot better too?

jgros079

Last evening I went out for a late night round at dusk.

There wasn't anyone on my usually packed home course and I was able to really take my time and enjoy the round.

As it became more dark out, I came to realize that with every minute of daylight growing less and less, I began to shoot better and better.
I'm not really sure why this was. Maybe less sensories to take in, and no pressure from groups behind me?

What ever it was I definitely felt completely in the zone, more so at any tournament I've played this year, or any other round for that matter.

Just wondering does anyone experience this during evening rounds, or any other type of rounds I guess? I'd be interested to hear when others feel most in the zone and what they think causes it.

I shoot better under pressure- my score actually improves at tournaments. For me, I shoot better at dusk because I am scared of loosing my disc if I don't put it right in the fairway.

It sounds like it had less to do with the daylight and more to do with the calm and serenity on the course at that time of day.

It sounds like it had less to do with the daylight and more to do with the calm and serenity on the course at that time of day.

I agree with this. Whenever I play by myself on a course with nobody really around I play my best. It has something to do with being able to play at my own pace (I like to play a little bit faster. Not having phones ring and people starting to talk while I'm throwing can't hurt either.

I still play well in tournaments and competitive rounds, but I play best when I can go at my own pace.

One thing I discovered when playing in low-light or the dark:

1. If it's a course I know well, I usually shoot better simply because I'm relying on memory and I don't have to think about what shot to take. I can just focus on the shot itself.
2. If it's a course I don't know well, I usually shoot worse because I'm a) worried about losing a disc, and b) have much less confidence in unknown flight lines.

Whenever I play by myself on a course with nobody really around I play my best.

And this ^^^

Every last one of my incredible rounds has been solo with no one around. Fortunately I have people around when I hit aces...

Maybe less sensories to take in, and no pressure from groups behind me?

I think this is partly correct. When you couldn't clearly see the basket and fairway your mind automatically focused on process rather then result.

I think this is partly correct. When you couldn't clearly see the basket and fairway your mind automatically focused on process rather then result.

One of my best putting rounds was during a pitch black glow round. When all I could see was the glow stick, it narrowed my focus and made putting seem easy.

I play my best right around 5-6pm when it starts to cool down with 1-2 other people and no one else on the course so we can go at whatever pace we want :D

I actually play better in a light to medium rain. It cools me off and calms me down, especially when other people are frustrated. It just seems to oil everything up and run like clockwork.
icon_lol.gif

I just played at night tonight. My putting improved drastically, can't say anything else was a lot better. Actually I was a lot more conservative with my shots which kept me out of trouble. Didn't make any spectacular shots (aside from one fairly long putt), but I didn't make any boneheaded stupid shots either.

Latest posts