• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Disc Golf in the Rain

How often do you START a casual round while it’s raining?

• Total voters

seedlings

* Ace Member *
How often do you start a casual round while it's raining? You could do other things, but instead, you made a conscious effort to disc golf in the rain. I mean it's raining steady now, expected to keep raining the duration of your round. Do you play?

I understand playing tournaments in the rain. I even understand finishing a casual round after rain starts, and I'll do that regularly. I could understand starting league in the rain. But… I'm not sold on starting a casual round in the rain. I suspect many people live where it rains more often than Midwest USA.

Poll inbound.

Last edited:
I play. A good raincoat/rainsuit is a starting point. I just left mine at a park this weekend. :mad::mad: Hung it up in the nearby shelter and walked away from it.

Anyway, playing in the rain can be OK. Good gear (raingear, waterproof boots, a rain hat/hood) a pair of dry socks, shoes and shirt in the car, the ability to stay warm/cool are all very important. I use a Friction Disc Golf Glove, if it is a steady, soaking rain. Extra towels, zip lock baggie for dry goods and scorecard.

We are smart though. Last weekend, we stood on the first hole in the pouring rain and decided to check the local radar. I good storm moving in and it was going to be gone in an hour. Group decision to grab lawn chairs and coffee from the cars and head to the shelter for an old man gab session, for a spell. We went out after the hour and it turned gorgeous. But, we would have played in the rain, if the forecast was bleak.

Now at 55 I probably wouldn't. I'm kinda made of sugar anymore.

When I was 25? Absolutely. When it was time to frolf, it was time to frolf. I mean I wouldn't in a storm, but just rain? No problem.

The switch from one to the other? Not sure, but it's fairly recent. I know ten years ago I for sure started a casual round at Channy in the rain. I was at Shorewood when it started raining and drove to Channy and played a round in the rain. It was November so it was cold, too. The course was flooded in places with casual water everywhere; just terrible conditions. It was time to frolf, though.

Actually less than four years ago I got yelled at because my daughter and I went out to frolf and it started raining on the way to the first course; we just played it in the rain and went to the next course and started that round while it was still raining. It let up before we were done. My wife let me have it for (and I quote) "failure to be the adult". :| I was 51 then.

I think I have to change my answer. Hell yeah I'll play in the rain!

I despise playing in rain below 40 d F. I would rather play in snow.

If it a weekend, above 40 and not a downpouring I will play. If any of those boxes are not check than it's a good day to stay inside.

If it 90+ d F it just an extra shower for the day. :)

Last edited:
I am more likely to bail on high wind, like sustained 20 mph with higher gusts. I'll do field work like that. Rain? I am pretty often biking to the course so if the forecast is light rain I just go. If forecast is a deluge, stay in.

Now at 55 I probably wouldn't. I'm kinda made of sugar anymore.

When I was 25? Absolutely. When it was time to frolf, it was time to frolf. I mean I wouldn't in a storm, but just rain? No problem.

The switch from one to the other? Not sure, but it's fairly recent. I know ten years ago I for sure started a casual round at Channy in the rain. I was at Shorewood when it started raining and drove to Channy and played a round in the rain. It was November so it was cold, too. The course was flooded in places with casual water everywhere; just terrible conditions. It was time to frolf, though.

Actually less than four years ago I got yelled at because my daughter and I went out to frolf and it started raining on the way to the first course; we just played it in the rain and went to the next course and started that round while it was still raining. It let up before we were done. My wife let me have it for (and I quote) "failure to be the adult". :| I was 51 then.

I think I have to change my answer. Hell yeah I'll play in the rain!

The only time I played Channahon it was crazy flooded like no course I've seen before, yet still mostly playable. I remember a lot of the woods and rough being under water but there being fair landing zones. Seemed like most of the locals were used to playing it that way.

If it was a course I really wanted to bag, or the only chance I had to bag a course on a trip, yep, I'm starting and playing "most" of the holes in the rain. May choose a lesser course to play in the rain, and hopefully get to a better course in the area when it isn't raining.

But a casual round on a local course, or one I've already played, no, I wouldn't start a round in the rain, unless it was just a drizzle.

We get isolated showers that probably won't stop me from playing. I've certainly gone out knowing there was a chance of showers. Played with ice/snow on the ground but skipped sketchy downhill creek crossings.

But if it is really raining here, it's usually a lightning storm with high wind. Pass.

I did play a tournament round in the pouring rain, when it wasn't lightning. It sucked. No desire to repeat that experience.

If I've got only two days off or a week off from work and I am planning on really playing as many as I can on those days, then yes I will play if I absolutely don't want to miss the opportunity to play a certain course.

Unfortunately, my first Highbridge Hills experience tomorrow will be a wet one as it is raining all day today.

I'll play league tonight and it will probably be raining, but I wouldn't start a casual round in the rain. I play too many rounds per year to bother playing when it is raining.

It depends on the length and severity of the rain. If it is light and and not steady then sure. Medium or heavy, chance of lightning or worse. Nope. I hate the rain more then anything though. Give me windy and cold or hot and muggy.

If I've got only two days off or a week off from work and I am planning on really playing as many as I can on those days, then yes I will play if I absolutely don't want to miss the opportunity to play a certain course.

Unfortunately, my first Highbridge Hills experience tomorrow will be a wet one as it is raining all day today.

When I think of playing in rain, I think of Highbridge. It pretty much rained the entire time all 3 times I've made the trek. Affected our camping more than the golf. Still had a smile on my face the entire time. :D

My boys and I were supposed to go on a cub scout overnight campout this past weekend. I saw it as a good opportunity to bag a few crappy niners on the way out there. None of the three looked worth really any drive to play, but they were all basically on the way to the scout camp. Also, if I'm going to play a crappy niner, I'd rather do it with the my boys, short open holes really level the playing field.

We got to the first course just in time for the tornado sirens to go off. Shame on me for not checking the weather again before we left the house. Ended up heading to a different course out of the path of the storm. Still raining, but safe to play. We had a fun round.

Campout ended up getting rained out. Scoutmaster got to the site only to find it basically one big puddle. Pretty sure that describes the conditions for 80% of my boy scout camping trips.

Glad we ended up playing in the rain otherwise the kids would have been super disappointed.

I guess my policy is that if I'm at home and it's already raining (and isn't forecast to stop anytime soon), I'll find something else to do. If I'm already at the course or on the road, I'm much more likely to play some sloppy dg.

The only time I played Channahon it was crazy flooded like no course I've seen before, yet still mostly playable. I remember a lot of the woods and rough being under water but there being fair landing zones. Seemed like most of the locals were used to playing it that way.

Channahon is often flooded, but the other course that 3putt mentioned (streamwood) is even worse. Back when we only had a few decent 18 hole courses in the Chicago area, Streamwood was one of my faves. It holds water like no other though. After a few really messy rounds, I decided I wouldn't play there if it had rained at all in the past 2-3 weeks. Mid summer drought time is/was that courses sweet spot.

Edit: I see 3P actually said Shorewood, which is no where near as bad as the other two for holding water, but still gets plenty muddy.

Latest posts