• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in the wind

I am used to playing in Northwest Florida where there is almost no wind when I play. I am out in Texas playing for a couple of weeks and the wind here is out of this world! I am looking for tips, techniques and personal experiences about playing in winding conditions.

In Ohio " alot of wind " Nose down and heavier disc's, if you can throw your disc's low you will be in good shape. I am a newer guy to the sport but on windy days thats what works for me and my scores are not that bad!

the simplest advice is that the wind will do the following

headwind-speeds up your throw causing a disc to be more understable...throw a disc beyond your arm speed
tailwind-slows a disc down causing it to perform more stable...throw a disc below your armspeed
nose up into wind will glide upwards dramatically...esp putting
nose down into wind will push a disc down dramatically..esp putting

In before da prerube yo :)

typically theres crosswinds from non direct directions just use the

In Ohio " alot of wind " Nose down and heavier disc's, if you can throw your disc's low you will be in good shape. I am a newer guy to the sport but on windy days thats what works for me and my scores are not that bad!

heavier discs just add more stability which is what you wanna do in a headwind but not a tailwind

I am used to playing in Northwest Florida where there is almost no wind when I play. I am out in Texas playing for a couple of weeks and the wind here is out of this world! I am looking for tips, techniques and personal experiences about playing in winding conditions.
heres what i can tell u from my experience in the NE
Driving:
overstable into the head wind
understable tailwind

Putting:
release lower into headwind (your disc will rise)
aim higher with tailwind (your disc will get knocked down)

I think practice in wind makes perfect. You will remember when that crazy wind flipped your putter like crazy on that upshot, and learn to adjust accordingly. Being able to read the wind properly is very important. Overstable discs will help out in a crazy headwind. So if you are turning over a lot of shots, throw with more hyzer and/or throw something more stable.

the simplest advice is that the wind will do the following

headwind-speeds up your throw causing a disc to be more understable...throw a disc beyond your arm speed
tailwind-slows a disc down causing it to perform more stable...throw a disc below your armspeed
nose up into wind will glide upwards dramatically...esp putting
nose down into wind will push a disc down dramatically..esp putting

In before da prerube yo :)

typically theres crosswinds from non direct directions just use the

ok u posted 2 min before me and we pretty much said the same thing, :popcorn:

heavier discs just add more stability which is what you wanna do in a headwind but not a tailwind

Gotcha:thmbup: even in the tailwind I still throw mine low. I feel like if I throw nose up I will lose control and accuracy so I throw more of a line drive and I hit my mark.........How high do you throw your disc in a tailwind? level flat area say 450 ft hole.

Head/Tailwind vs glide

What about the glide with head/tail wind?

headwinds provide more glide (more flippiness/less fade and more disc speed)

tailwinds provide less glide (straighter flight/harder fade and less disc speed)

Hmm. It gets pretty windy down here in SW Florida. Generaly speaking keep them low, and throw heavier discs.

Latest posts