• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing through

maynes32

Par Member
Lately, I've read a lot of posts on here of the "they wouldn't let anyone play through" variety. In my experience, however, I can only think of once where, when asked, the people in front wouldn't let my group through. In that case, it was solely because they were backed up behind 3-4 groups, and letting us through wouldn't speed up anyone's play at all.

In addition, around here you usually don't even have to ask - people will see you waiting on the tee and wait for you on the next tee to let you through.

Anyone else had similar experiences, or am I just blessed in where I play? ;)

I haven't had too many problems but have often waited longer than i thought I should and had to press the issue. People should be aware and you should not have to ask.

When were behind people that have some sort of a brain, yes, they letyou play through without even asking. Its when you get stuck behind some dip$hit that doesnt care, they just want to take their time and you have to like it. Thats when a couple of attempts to buzz the tower come into affect and they then realize whats up and let you play through

i see people to tee's back and if there catching up, i sit down @ the next table and just tell them they can play through, its when you get the groups of 10 guy's all around 22-26 they only focus on having a good time, and taking there own time who dont let you play through (@ riverside anyways)

I had the same scenario happen to me once and only once. Had a group that didn't let me play through because they were backed up but honestly I could have gone through all the groups and come out just fine not slowing anyone else down. That was a bit frustrating.

Every other time I have been let through and it worked out just fine.

i see people to tee's back and if there catching up, i sit down @ the next table and just tell them they can play through, its when you get the groups of 10 guy's all around 22-26 they only focus on having a good time, and taking there own time who dont let you play through (@ riverside anyways)

at that point i would just skip the hole they were on

What I've noticed this summer at my local courses is that the people who don't offer to let smaller groups or when I'm playing solo play through are the newer golfer. Or they are just people who go out to disc to use the course for other reasons. The most recent example I played with two other people and in front of us was a group of 9. Ages looked about mid high school kids all packing 1 or 2 discs a piece. No one was in front of them and they didn't offer to let us ahead. What puzzeled us was that not one person in the group seemed to really care about how they were throwing. One player threw his disc 8 times and never officially made it in the basket ( for those in my area, it was Hole #3 West Park Joliet,IL ) . All 9 on their approach shots would just pick up the disc hurl it, pick it up and hurl it and so forth. Needless to say we skipped a hole to get in front, since no one was in front of them since they never offered.

Now this is just the most recent occurrence, but 2 of my local courses attract this type of crowd. I realize this is disc golf and these are public parks, but these beginners in my area just lack course ettiquete and overall good manners. In my opinion, people like this are the ones who give disc golf a "bad rep".

I usually play pretty quick and most people surely let me through. The ones that don't are 9 times out of 10 new players that just don't know any better. I usually will throw real close to them or skip a hole and play ahead of them.

I've never had a problem. Most people will just let you go. i did encounter a group of seven onee time that pissed me off though. I t was the last hole on my local course and these idiots were just f-ing off by the basket. It was only a 220' hole downhill so I didnt want to throw on them. So they finish what they doing and then proceed to walk up the fairway back to the teepad ( this was after I already waited about five minutes) So they all could throw again and try to "ace" the hole. Couldnt they have just moved and let me throw, I mean I was all by myself?

Some people just dont think (or are just to ignorant) and thats just the way it is...

Must people will let you play through if you just ask. It's not rude if nobody is in front of them.

today at riverside park, there was this group of, i hate to say this but, fat people having a party, they were walking back and fourth to the picknick table and there car (across the middle of the fairway) i waited for a few mins, then decided, its a disc golf course, they need 2 get get some discs or get off, and i just threw, i kinda had a bad throw because i was making shure i dident hit them.

Lately, I've read a lot of posts on here of the "they wouldn't let anyone play through" variety. In my experience, however, I can only think of once where, when asked, the people in front wouldn't let my group through. In that case, it was solely because they were backed up behind 3-4 groups, and letting us through wouldn't speed up anyone's play at all.

In addition, around here you usually don't even have to ask - people will see you waiting on the tee and wait for you on the next tee to let you through.

Anyone else had similar experiences, or am I just blessed in where I play? ;)
My experience has been pretty much the same as yours. Occaisionally, I'll ask to play through if I'm playing solo, but most folks will offer if they've seen me following for a few holes.

I try to keep an eye out behind me, and if people are catching up to me pretty quick, I let them play through. Today was a good example. I was playing at Jack Brooks #1 with one guy who has been playing 2 months, and another guy playing for his first time.

I saw two groups catching up to us really quick. I knew they were going to catch us on #7, and there is no shade there, so at #6 I told my group, "lets take a break here in the shade and let them play through." We sat down in the shade and let a group of 3 and a guy and a girl play past us. They seemed happy about this. I hate making people wait behind me, and since I was with newbies, we were playing very slow, so I thought it was only right to give the right of way.

Now this is just the most recent occurrence, but 2 of my local courses attract this type of crowd. I realize this is disc golf and these are public parks, but these beginners in my area just lack course ettiquete and overall good manners. In my opinion, people like this are the ones who give disc golf a "bad rep".

West Park and Shorewood? I have noticed excessive waits for LARGE (8-10+, I think we counted 13 one time) groups this summer in particular. I'm not sure why, but these courses seem to attract them. All seem to be teenagers throwing 1 or 2 discs a piece, with little to no respect for other golfers (yelling carrying on and such), even for each other (1st person tees off, then walks down the fairway while the rest of the group is still on the tee and throwing). I don't mean to disrespect younger folks (heck I'm celebrating my 32nd bday this weekend) cause they are not ALL immature, but I'm glad school is back in session, at least it's not crowded in the mornings.

West Park and Shorewood? I have noticed excessive waits for LARGE (8-10+, I think we counted 13 one time) groups this summer in particular. I'm not sure why, but these courses seem to attract them. All seem to be teenagers throwing 1 or 2 discs a piece, with little to no respect for other golfers (yelling carrying on and such), even for each other (1st person tees off, then walks down the fairway while the rest of the group is still on the tee and throwing). I don't mean to disrespect younger folks (heck I'm celebrating my 32nd bday this weekend) cause they are not ALL immature, but I'm glad school is back in session, at least it's not crowded in the mornings.

Sometimes we just sit back on some benches and watch those kinds of groups. You know somebody is gonna get hit eventually. Then you listen for the "why did you throw your disc at me" hahahahaha maybe because you were in front of the basket?

Yes, those are the 2 courses, especially Shorewood. I love the Shorewood, meaning the actual course, but not the crowd it attracts. I can't remember the last time I or anyone I know who had something positive to say about the crowd that goes there. Me and two others played on Saturday (busy, of course) and all threw on hole 14, the closet to the road, and one person I was with had their disc land in the grass next to the road and someone leaving (a young looking individual) intentionally swerved into the grass to drive over it and honked wildly when they drove past us. That behavior is just uncalled for. Also, I can't tell you how many times people have honked or shouted randomly at you when leaving the course when you are playing a hole close to the road.

I am always letting people play through as I usually have my fiance with me and her son who both probably only throw 100'.

I try to be real courteous with people comming up behind us but it makes me mad when we have had 2 or 3 young guys behind us so we stopped and waited for them and they go up to the tee and start talking and taking their sweet time. Then they throw a disc and slowly get the next guy up. Then decide they are going to throw a 2nd disc for "fun". You know, you want to have a good time, I get it, but if someone is nice enough to let you go ahead, the least you can do is clear that hole quickly before they have to let another faster group play through as well.

Then there are the kids that like to come up and throw on you while you are on the hole. Had that yesterday with what looked like a group of 16 or 17 year olds. They werent pressing us at all or waiting but my fiances son threw a wild throw that went left in some thick brush and I was trying to get it out and they just came from the last hole right up to the tee and threw immediately and one almost hit me while I was reaching for the disc. I was all of 50 frigin feet away and I know they saw me.

I grabbed the disc and had my fiances boy eat the hole and went down to where my disc was laying and mark my spot to just try to get out of the way when another disc came flying just a foot past my head. Turns out since it was raining they were trying to run through and get off the course but thats not excuse to throw on people.

I was about ready to turn around and tomahawk their disc right into their forehead! Would have been the best shot of the day.

Would have been the best shot of the day.

Just yesterday, there was a 4some in front of my friend and I. We asked to play through b/c they were kind of slow and had a noob with them. They said No b/c there was groups in front of them. So on the one hole, the noob threw way right in the woods. All 4 guys went in looking, so we teed off. We played through, then the 4 some in front of them let us by, and we cruised through to the end. I was pretty pissed that they said no, especially since it was 2 of us and they had a noob with them who was never in the fairway.

It seems like people are getting pretty mad about people not letting them play through even though they never asked. I think this is a little ridiculous, maybe those people new to the game just don't realize they are being an inconvenience, a simply polite may we play through would be all it would take in most cases.

I will say there is a wrong way to ask if you can play through though. I was playing in my first tournament the other week and on one hole I threw over a blind hill and was searching for my disc, I had walked the course only one time before so I was still very unfamiliar with it. unbeknownst to me and the group I was playing with another group was on the tee (remember it was a blind hill so we could not see them). After a couple minutes a guy comes over the hill and says real dickish like "so are you going to let us play through or do we have to wait for you". I really wanted to let this guy have it but decided not to because it was an unfamiliar situation. We of course let them play through but I mean just ask politely I would of course let someone play through while I am searching.

When were behind people that have some sort of a brain, yes, they letyou play through without even asking. Its when you get stuck behind some dip$hit that doesnt care, they just want to take their time and you have to like it. Thats when a couple of attempts to buzz the tower come into affect and they then realize whats up and let you play through

You don't ever purposely throw on somebody...if you do, you should be prepared to fight.
Seriously...sometimes you get stuck behind a slow group...and you act like an adult, be patient, and wait until they are done.
True most of the time people should let faster groups play through without asking...unless of course the 'slower' group has been waiting at the tees themselves...
But you don't ever throw on people...if you hit someone, it's basically assault and if there were any injuries you would be liable in a court of law.
The traditional variety of golf is considered a gentlemen's game...I'd like to see disc golf evolve the same reputation...