• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please Critique My 3rd Day RHBH training.

StoneWallKid

Birdie Member
Thanks for looking! I've been playing for around 4 years, but outside of 50 feet It was all RHFH, and only accurate backhand within 15ft. So I watched/read everything I could find then spent 3 days in a nearby park. Here is where I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o3VxJ1bdyU

Sorry for some of the poor quality shots, I just used my phone. I know there is a lot wrong, I can handle it, lay it on me!

The first part of the video is my last session of throwing today and by far my longest drives. They were still only around 200-250ft though.

Thanks,
SWK

Last edited:
I'm not an expert at viewing and critiquing, but I can tell that you're totally strong-arming instead of coiling and uncoiling your body like a whippy spring. Basically it's using the same motions and thinking for throwing backhand as what you do when you forehand...using the arm to throw with. If you can get consistent and develop control this way, then ok, but you'll never get much more distance and will need to stick with low-speed drivers if you intend to have them fly like they were designed...the high speed stuff will be out of reach because this method won't get you the power to make them work properly.

What I see right away is that you aren't reaching back far...and that means that you aren't coiling your body (hips, trunk). This also makes it hard to shift your weight forward...you can see that on each throw your weight is upright or leaning backwards slightly, and when you follow through with body spin, it looks forced & is following your arm. It should be the opposite: when you uncoil your body, your arm follows, and the smooth momentum of all of that brings your body into a pivot follow through. Make sense?

Re-read the articles and compare your video with videos of guys who are showing good form...that comparison should really help a lot. Self vids are the best tool. Maybe someone else can offer good advice on what you should start with first or what's good/not good. Kinda looks to me like you should start over from the ground up, using stand-still throws until you get the body movements feeling second nature. After that, you can add a step or run-up. It takes time and practice.

Thanks OklaHyzer. I felt good about my throw until I got home and watched it. I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to re-affirm how far from good it was. I'll work a few more days and hopefully come back with some improvement.

SLOOOOOW DOWN. Cant express this enough. Like stated, you are definitely strong arming it. Reach back further and work on using your hips and shoulders (opening them) to bring the disc in and through the hit. Keep your grip loose (ish) then grip down at the wrist extension.

You also need to be over your disc more, you're leaning back a lot (which could be okay for an anhyzer). Your weight isn't shifting from front/back/front foot either, looks like all your weight is on the front foot constantly through your motion.

And I can't reiterate enough, SLOW DOWN. Smooth is power, not speed.

Yeah...sucks to see yourself on video, doesn't it. lol. The first time I did a video of myself it was quite an eyeopener! :)

Haha, Yeah! But it will be fun to look back and see my progress. I haven't been reaching back due to the fear of not knowing where I'm throwing it. I felt a bit more confident today and started reaching a lot more back than usual. But I can definatley see I need to really REACH back till my arm is extended. It will just take time, its annoying to be so far out of my comfort zone but hopefully in 1,000+ throws I'll find that feel.

I'm tempted to try this because I'm a little tired of playing FH only, but I know that I'm good at FH and wanna become great at it.. but I agree with the people above and I tip my hat to your determination! Keep it up!

You need to twist your body away from the direction you are throwing and reach back, it will be disorienting at first but youll get there

The first two throws are the best. After that I started to strong arm it even more. I probably threw 60 times today and there were 3 that felt good. It felt like I held the disc a little longer and my arm fully extended which added a good bit of rotation. I also felt as if I had to twist my wrist over the top out to the right in order to get the full feeling of a snap.

Am I taking too big a final step? I've read you want your plant leg straight and mine is far from it.

Thanks for any more input!

http://youtu.be/a8Ifww9ATx4

Last edited: