• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please help me guys.. PLEASE! (video/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak3

Birdie Member
I spend hours upon hours reading and watching videos about DG, everyday im out in the field throwing till i cant feel my arm anymore. I just want to get some kind of distance gain. But no matter what i do to try to fix problem areas in my form i get no where. Im truly getting frustrated beyond words at this point.

All i really want is to be able to drive 400 feet constantly. Im not looking to be a freak of nature or anything... So much time invested with such little results.

I made a new video of 3 drives yesterday, i would say all 3 drives went like 310-330 fairly straight with a 20mph tailwind.

Things ive noticed from my video:
Reach back is curling around and not straight, fully extended.
Something with my shoulder and hip rotation seems terribly off timing wise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsEK61IanG0
Sorry if the music is a bit much, i get a bit carried away when edit videos..

Stills..
vlcsnap-2011-03-18-02h35m12s109.png

I think this is the moment my elbow stops, do my shoulders look awkward here?
vlcsnap-2011-03-18-02h35m21s196.png

vlcsnap-2011-03-18-02h35m26s15.png

vlcsnap-2011-03-18-02h35m40s79.png

vlcsnap-2011-03-18-02h35m55s217.png

Today i went out to the field and tried to fix that reach back by reaching back further and trying to maintain a line but after like 50 throws this wasnt helping anything. Im still feeling the majority of my problem is timing issues.

When i posted a video last year alot of people commented on me getting my weight more forward. This year i started to develop a kick to push forward and although it might not look like im getting a huge amount of weight forward i know im getting way better at it then last year. So this is defiantly an area ive been working on alot.

Thanks a bunch in advance guys, any info is more appreciated then you can imagine.

Last edited:
The first thing that caught my eye was that your right toe is in the air at the follow through. You are going to want to have that rotation on the ball of the foot. See if that helps any.

You are strong arming it bro. Arm hurting and your left shoulder barely moves throughout the pics.

Stand stationary and relax your arms and using your hips and torso and rotate back and forth letting your arms whip. That should give you a bit of a feel.

You know i always thought i rotated on the ball of foot till i seen this video. Im almost positive i did last year. I know alot of pros rotate on the heel.. I will focus on this though, thanks!

You are strong arming it bro. Arm hurting and your left shoulder barely moves throughout the pics.

Stand stationary and relax your arms and using your hips and torso and rotate back and forth letting your arms whip. That should give you a bit of a feel.

Ya ive done this a few times in my home.

So you think that pretty much my problem? The Almighty strong arm noobism?

I kinda thought i was past this point in my form..

Have you done the hammer pound drills and built your throw from the hit back?

You're definitely not getting into the power zone. Your shoulders are rotating too early. Look at that picture where you say that's where your elbow is stopping (it looks like that's where it's stopping to me, too). The disc is at best, near your left pec. At that point your elbow should be in front of you and the disc should be at your right pec. If you get the hammer pound drills you'll understand right away why that's bad. Your hammer pound will be extremely weak if you start from that position. You won't get your strongest hammer pound until your elbow is much farther forward.

You know i always thought i rotated on the ball of foot till i seen this video. Im almost positive i did last year. I know alot of pros rotate on the heel.. I will focus on this though, thanks!
Are you feeling it in your knee or hip at all? I'd guess you aren't and the way you're pivoting is probably OK. As long as you aren't jamming your foot (I don't think you are) you'll be fine.

Ya ive done this a few times in my home.

So you think that pretty much my problem? The Almighty strong arm noobism?

I kinda thought i was past this point in my form..

Its a tough habit to break. Especially when you know your throw say, 350' and you are sitting there looking at a hole thats 400' away. As men, we are engraved with the notion that you if you don't break through the first time, hit harder.

350' is also about the point they say an average guy can throw using his arm. Trust me, I'm right there as well. The key is, and I need to get to a field to work on it more; smooth quick with your hips and torso and shoulder rotation and let your arm whip. Only use enough arm just to simply guide the disc. Your arm whips faster the less your arm muscles are involved.

Are you feeling it in your knee or hip at all? I'd guess you aren't and the way you're pivoting is probably OK. As long as you aren't jamming your foot (I don't think you are) you'll be fine.

Alot of the time after 20 or so drives my ankle between and shin aches pretty good as if my pivot foot is getting jammed up. I figured this had some to do with driving in lumpy grass and my foot just getting stuck in the turn.

Have you done the hammer pound drills and built your throw from the hit back?

You're definitely not getting into the power zone. Your shoulders are rotating too early. Look at that picture where you say that's where your elbow is stopping (it looks like that's where it's stopping to me, too). The disc is at best, near your left pec. At that point your elbow should be in front of you and the disc should be at your right pec. If you get the hammer pound drills you'll understand right away why that's bad. Your hammer pound will be extremely weak if you start from that position. You won't get your strongest hammer pound until your elbow is much farther forward.

Thanks alot for this. I knew something wasnt happening right there. I always feel like im releasing too early or something along those lines.. I have yet to try the hammer drill but im reading about it right now.

It looks like your reluctant to allow yourself to lose sight of the target aswell. I always found it tough to get a good reach back while staring forward throughout the whole throw.

The first thing that caught my eye was that your right toe is in the air at the follow through. You are going to want to have that rotation on the ball of the foot. See if that helps any.

Most of the pros pivot on their heel... your pivot and follow through look fine.

I would say take more than a three step approach. This will allow you to build more momentum. Your reach back could also be a little larger.

Also... I noticed in the third still that it looks like the disc is coming out early. It could just be a photo angle issue though??? What does your grip look like?

Those are my observations... Hope that helps.
DSCJNKY

Jak, all your weight is behind your front foot. Get that weight on or infront of that line. Lean forward, literally crouch down a little before you start your X step and put weight on your toes. You'll know you're doing it right when it feels like you may need to step forward to regain your balance. Learn to throw on that edge of balance and you'll gain distance easily. Maybe not enough to reach 400, but you'll gain an easy 50ft.

attachment.php

Attachments

• behind the line.jpg
    behind the line.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 124
You aren't getting body rotation, and strong arming the hell out of it. Go back to the pec drills (vid with Dan Beto). It looks like your body is turning as your arm is, it should be body first, then arm follows.

One simple sugestion that i can give that will immediatly give u more distance is .. ( disc DOwn )=use somthing less stable and throw it on a slightly more stable Line...
i was in a tournament at Stoney Creek Metro park about two weeks ago and the first round i was throwing my BOss for the consistancy in the wind and getting normal ..ok distance ... but then second round i switched to my Wraith ( less stable ) cause the wind died down ...and started bombing a couple 450 Uphilll shots .. People were Shocked when they seen the distance change between my first round and second ... ( cause i had one of the same guys on my card both rounds ) ( he took 2nd i took 3rd (AM2) ).. i even shocked myself cause i wasnt even trying as hard .... I shot 939 rated 1st round and 950 rated round 2nd round witch is awsome considering im a 909 Rated (Am2) player ..

Don't beat yourself up to bad, I've seen alot worse!

I can't offer much advice, but the hammer pound drill was something that helped me tremendously. I'm not throwing huge distances, 300-350ft max, but I am happy doing that accurately and consistantly. My advice would be to just keep trying new things and you will put it all together.

Side note: I live in GR, and that field looks familiar. Like the school at 60th+Division. I used to practice there when I lived in walking distance. Nice, big field.

If your arm is sore at the end of the day, you're strong arming it. Your legs and back should be sore.

Basically, your arm is a whip that's powered by your body. Only use enough energy in your arm to get the disc up to the horizontal plane. The hardest thing for me to learn was the "elastic" arm with the "death" grip.

The legs drive the power. They turn the hips, that turns the torso, that turns the shoulders (point elbow to target) that opens the elbow, that pops the wrist, that rips the disc out of your hand with a glorious "snap" because of your strong grip. The more loose your arm is, the more speed you can transfer to the disc. Your arm muscles slow the arm down.

If you use your legs as the power source for your distance, you will have to shift your weight properly. You don't throw a baseball from behind the front foot (at least not very far... even when you strong arm it...). Your front knee should never "lock". Lean forward from the waist over your hands... just like a good pitcher. Throwing is an athletic move... be in an athletic position.

I start 3 or 4 feet farther back on the tee so I won't have a reason not to follow through. It gives me 50 - 80 more feet of distance. Good trade.

The best thing... reverse pivot will be gone. Discs won't "peter out" and fade hard left anymore. You can throw long anhyzers... You can have more fun!

A good drill that I use to remind myself of how to throw properly... is to keep my arms at the sides of my body and simulate the throw with just my legs and torso. That will show you the proper footwork and body movement. It's easier than you think.

Emans - Ya thats Townline school there. I live across the street :) Thanks for info
I actually started trying those hammer drills at home here tonight and i have two huge blisters on my index finger now heh.

eegor - ""elastic" arm with the "death" grip." makes sense.

Jrawk - Ill try to stay lower, thanks a bunch

Everyone else thank you, i write all this stuff down in a notebook i bring to the field with.

This is my grip.
DSC00085.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

Anymore advice is appreciated, keep it coming.

Im really gonna start focusing on my arm being more of a whip. I think i took that whole starting the lawnmower idea literally as in i was pulling with a bunch of muscle like i was actually starting a hard to pull starter on a lawnmower lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.