• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please help with my form

It's not quite there, you can see in the side view your rear knee stays in the same place in space as the rear leg/foot rotates, and then it gets pulled around in front of the plant. It's not getting the weight forward to the front leg and then getting pulled through.

Your setup has the knees too straight, and when you have your upper body balanced over the feet with straight knees it puts your butt too far behind your heels from the behind view. If you look at your follow through you can see how your butt is way to the right of the plant and pulling your body off balance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• follow through balance.jpg
    follow through balance.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 71
Great observation on the rear knee, SP. Thank you again. So more kick the can drill to help me get off that rear foot? Concentrate on leading with the butt?

Leading with the butt will definitely help as it will set up your weight to be on the front leg.

This video I think is really helpful to show instep and knee movement.

1. Rest. You should not be practicing while injured. Your front leg is snapping open, going to hurt yourself more.

2. You are not doing the one leg there. Your front foot is leaving the ground and your back foot is not leaving the ground.

3. Your swing tempo is too fast, slow down and swing longer.

1. Rest. You should not be practicing while injured. Your front leg is snapping open, going to hurt yourself more.

The ankle is actually feeling pretty good, but you're right, no sense in making things worse. Been watching the awesome Bradley Walker thread and the great back and forth you guys are having. Between that and binge watching the videos on your youtube channel it's been making me want to get out and throw so bad. Must resist the urge!

I did see in one of your videos that it looked like you were wearing two ankle braces. Do you have a brand/type that you would recommend? I plan on wearing one from now on when I play after I recover.

2. You are not doing the one leg there. Your front foot is leaving the ground and your back foot is not leaving the ground.

Guess I should have reviewed the one leg drill video before going out yesterday. I'm going to give the one leg drill another go when I've recovered. Will post a video. Do you think that is the best drill to be doing to help get all of my weight off the back foot and transferred to the front?

3. Your swing tempo is too fast, slow down and swing longer.

After watching my videos a couple more times, I realized this as well. Next time I need to tell myself to just go slow and not try to smash all of my shots.

I can't even sprain my ankles anymore when they get rolled, because the ligaments are already so stretched from previous sprains. The brace is actually an orthodic for my flat foot and because of the loose ankle joint they strap to the shin to transfer the power better. They definitely give me more distance, but they also blister my instep and I have a hell a time finding shoes they fit in.

One Leg Drill is the ultimate weight transfer and safest way to throw IMO.

One Leg Drill is the ultimate weight transfer and safest way to throw IMO.

You said my front foot was coming up on my recent video and thus, was not doing the one leg drill. I know I need to work on the rear heel coming up before I swing, but is there anything else you might impart other than keeping the front foot planted and my weight over that foot so that my next attempt is more successful with the one leg drill?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Watch how his shoulders move forward at the beginning...there is a lateral move by a bit and his lead shoulder, if you pause the video and imagine a vertical line up the leg in the side view, the shoulder is past the front leg and head is pretty much on top of it. So more forward than most would think.

It's also ok to let the rear foot down how you need, but try to resist the urge to support much weight on it.

Ok, got out to the field today to attempt the one leg drill (fail). Had what felt like some great throws with my mids, the very worst being 265'ish and the best a little over 300. Then I watched the tape from my practice and realize I am still making a lot of the same mistakes, including lifting my front foot up, hence not a one leg drill again. The biggest frustration for me is that I reach back and my hips turn and my front heel follows, but then as I start to shift my weight, my front foot snaps open, which is one of the biggest things I've been trying to change (throwing from a closed stance). It also looks and feels like I'm definitely getting full extension. It feels like my shoulders aren't working together, like my rear shoulder is lagging to much and it leads to me rounding. I feel like If I could get them to work together, I wouldn't round and would have a much more fluid and powerful throw. What kinds of things should I work on to try and fix these issues? What else do you see?

https://youtu.be/MXNC-vWd1yM

It should be very weird to you in One Leg Drill to keep the front foot down and stack yourself upright on it. It will probably feel like you can't generate much power, but you have to trust it will happen. Easier to feel this swinging something very heavy like a sledgehammer. You can also try the Door Frame Drill on the front leg and just maintain your balance leveraging in it and when you let go.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 5.05.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 5.05.32 PM.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 71
It should be very weird to you in One Leg Drill to keep the front foot down and stack yourself upright on it.

It is! So much so that I can't do it properly lol.

Thank you for taking the time to draw up the comparison between you and I, but I just want to be sure that I am interpreting it correctly. The red line is showing that my knee is out in front of my head and therefore I'm not stacked properly with my COG which is actually a little further back than it should be, where as your head and entire COG is stacked over your front leg, correct? To position myself correctly, my head and COG should be stacked over the very top of where the red line starts? It almost looks as if you're leaning forward a bit and I am too up right?

It is! So much so that I can't do it properly lol.

Thank you for taking the time to draw up the comparison between you and I, but I just want to be sure that I am interpreting it correctly. The red line is showing that my knee is out in front of my head and therefore I'm not stacked properly with my COG which is actually a little further back than it should be, where as your head and entire COG is stacked over your front leg, correct? To position myself correctly, my head and COG should be stacked over the very top of where the red line starts? It almost looks as if you're leaning forward a bit and I am too up right?
Red line is showing your knee and hip collapsed past or outside your ankle. Your CoG is going over top your ankle. My CoG is in dynamic balance/center rotating braced inside the ankle. I think if your leg was in dynamic stack upright we would be in similar position. I would not say you are upright because of the leg position. Balance happens from the ground up, not head down.

I think if your leg was in dynamic stack upright we would be in similar position

Ok, I understand now, but how do I get to the position you're in without collapsing my knee and hip? After messing around in front of a full-length mirror, the only way it seems that I can get into that position without my hip and knee collapsing is by extending my knee as the weight transfers and lifting my hip like Dave describes in this video:
https://vimeo.com/64171158

Am I on the right track?

I have the exact same problem and have been unable to fix it if that makes you feel any better lol. I hope you can. My athletic instincts won't let anything I do in drills or practice come to fruition. I'd love to see you succeed though, it might reignite my desire to change again. I also have a slightly sprained oblique which makes throwing anything other than some simple putter and midranges unwise right now.

So keep this thread going, there are others interested in your progress :). No pressure though.

So keep this thread going, there are others interested in your progress :). No pressure though.

Thanks for the encouragement, it really means a lot. I've been trying to correct my form issues for years, taking several steps backwards before I just recently started to have things click for me somewhat. It's been a frustrating process to say the least, but I am not going to give up and am so thankful to everyone on here who offers their help and insight.

It has been a long winter, but I have still managed to fit a round in here and there, but mostly form; primarily throwing from the front leg, utilizing the off arm and today I started focusing on a higher pull. I had some success trying to implement these things today on the course and came home and filmed a quick video in my basement to see if I'm making progress.
On the course, the discs were coming out very straight and very consistent, seemingly with less effort. Please let me know what you guys see.

https://youtu.be/6VNYX6BI94M

I think you're going a little "over the top" on the throw. I'm thinking this because your head is tilted downward over the plant leg, and your rear femur rotates in place. This indicates to me that you are pushing your torso/head off the left leg forward, rather than laterally moving your butt/spine onto the plant leg and then throwing. I think this is also why it looks to me like your arm/throw is happening slightly too soon, rather than you landing closed, then using the plant leg to clear the hips and begin the rotation.

I think you're going a little "over the top" on the throw. I'm thinking this because your head is tilted downward over the plant leg, and your rear femur rotates in place. This indicates to me that you are pushing your torso/head off the left leg forward, rather than laterally moving your butt/spine onto the plant leg and then throwing. I think this is also why it looks to me like your arm/throw is happening slightly too soon, rather than you landing closed, then using the plant leg to clear the hips and begin the rotation.

I think you're right about my swing being a little early, but I'm confused by some of what you said. Sounds like you are saying that I'm pushing off the rear foot instead of doing something else and I'm not sure what that something else is. I guess I dont know how to "move laterally with my butt/spine" to the front leg. Can you elaborate please? Thanks for the quick reply!