• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please watch this video and Critique

How long have u guys been playing? I'd say the first guy has very solid form. Nice slow, controlled x-step, good reachback, good pull into the chest, excellent late acceleration and good weight shift. Is the second guy a newer player? Looks like he needs some work to get his technique down. He should watch the first guy and try to incorporate some of the things he's doing.

The first throw was better, but both of these look like strong arms as opposed to whips. Very common problem for those that haven't been playing for awhile (or those that haven't focused on their form.)

Strong arming means you are not letting the rest of your body do the work. All the effort is coming from the arm muscles trying to pull the disc through.

Stand still with your arms at your side and twist your torso back and forth. See how your arm tends to whip out to the side? That is more what a throw should feel like (not a perfect analogy, but a good idea of what should be happening.)

Thanks guys. I'm the first guy, and I've definitely focused a lot on form, but still have only been playing seriously this year. I don't feel like i strong arm it and I really try to focus on my only arm muscle movement being an elbow brake. To really get that whip-snap. My longest D driver is a really beat in DX beast. The one I was throwing there. It flips up, turns really nice and finishes left, even in to a mild headwind. Does that sound like a good disc to stick with? I like it a lot, shouldmi get a new DX or maybe a champ? Thanks again for the feedback.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of weight shift. You need to shift the weight from back foot to front foot.

Watch this video, in particular Barry Shultz on the freeze frame. 1:32-1:42 is where it really focuses on the weight transfer. Then right at the 1:42 part, look where his leg is. Everything goes forward, then around. Everything, your body, your arm, your weight, the disc, everything goes forward. The only thing that should spin is the disc.

Skipper...looks fairly good although I agree with the things above, strong arming a little bit pulling a little early and could use more weight shift. Looks like you understand the principles of snap, but not quite getting the elbow forward of the shoulder and keeping the disc in the straightest line close to the chest. Watch little Joe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpcm5VJiBcM#t=0m55s

Gilligan...planes are out of whack, torquing over, not turning away nearly enough and planting too far to the right. Would definitely start from scratch with the hammer drills, work from the hit back at a standstill, and learn to throw neutral putters and mids.

You know I really do understand the principles behind snap. I've always been good at math and geometry as well as replicating muscle movement that I see like when I watch videos of pros. I'm a ball golf convert. I've done a lot of work on my reach back, keeping in mind that I want my disc to come thru on a straight, single-plane line. But I can see that my elbow doesn't chop like I feel like it does. I'll work on that. Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I recognize your handles from other threads and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. Any other general tips you'd like to pass on? Maybe in the realm of disc selection? I feel like I could improve in that area. Thanks again.

Torrey... Seem a little flat footed. try to get on the balls of your feet more and find a balance point over your right leg. I think fixing that will naturally help with elbow chop.

Edit: I'm a big guy too and this is where my form slips/suffers most often. But i've been practicing this with slow mids on standstills and I can hold my balance quite easily now. I know whenever i throw nose up a little, i've gone off balance and flat footed.

Last edited:
It's funny you say that because I diagnosed that myself recently and have been tinkering with a shortened, simplified run up, focusing on lower body quickness. I haven't gotten up the courage to take it to the course yet tho. I was wondering if anyone was going to mention my footwork specifically. Thanks for the input!