• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Points Series: let's hear about yours!

AndyJB

Big Country
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I seem to recall an older thread about this, but I can't find it anywhere. So here's a place to discuss your local points series tournaments, sanctioned or non, and let us know what you think works and what doesnt. I'll start with two we have in Colorado (there is also a third, the Reflections Series, but I've never played in them)

PHENIX ONE DAY SERIES (PODS)

This is a spring - summer monthly series put on by Phenix Disc Sports in Denver. All PODS events are PDGA sanctioned B - Tiers and offer just about every division (as long as it has more than three players.) However, because it isn't very highly publicized, the Rec division is usually pretty low in attendence, where higher divisions get a lot more people. A fair amount of ladies play in PODS, for what that's worth. Entry fees are low, and Ams get a players pack disc every event. Points are tracked by division with a big finals usually in September. In years past, the venues have rotated but this year all PODS are played at Badlands excepting the finals which will be run at CHU.

Fun level is super high, and almost all players have great attitudes, while still being competitive and following PDGA rules. Very popular series.

WINTER WARRIORS

This is an unsanctioned series, run in the winter. All proceeds go to the Food Bank of the Rockies. Play is one round of random draw doubles, and allows for double birdies/aces/eagles etc. Leading to some teams having amazingly low scores. After the round, there is always some CTPs played for donated prizes, with all that money also going to Food Bank of the Rockies. Every week a different venue all across Colorado is played. Weekly winners get cool prize tags, and there are also trophies for Winter Warriors who play in every event. Points are based on scores and top ten usually get a trophy at the end. Last year I believe nearly 10,000 dollars was raised!

Fun is absolutely essential at Winter Warriors...no bad attitudes allowed! Jeff McCormick and his crew put in a ton of work to make these happen, and they are always a good time. It is also a great opportunity to keep your skills sharp during the often - harsh winter months.

The Cincinnati club runs a Course Challenge Series monthly from March through November that's very affordable and fun. We play nine different courses a year (luckily, we have an abundance of good courses in the area!)

Though most events are unsanctioned, one or two a year go through the pdga sanctioning for insurance purposes required by that particular park. For the unsanctioned ones, we mix the cards the first round so that newer players get a chance to play with, and learn from, a variety of skill levels. The second round is back into divisions, by score, so the competition element is still thriving. And the point series drops up to two events, so you can still be competitive in your division if you at least show up seven times.

This year, we've also got two weeknight sanctioned leagues going, which use pdga points, but aren't really considered cumulative point series.

Finally, Dan Bayless (of Disc n Dat) runs a charitable Ice Bowl Krazy series in January and February to raise funds for Fairhaven Rescue Mission. His events are always a blast!

We have 4 main series here in Indiana:

W.I.F.F.S- Western Indiana Frozen Fundraiser Series- 6 C-tiers that raise funds for local causes(mission work, shelters, etc) featuring courses in western Indiana.

Indiana Summer Series- 8 B/C tiers located throughout the state featuring the top courses.

Indiana Fall Series- 8 tournaments with 1 or 2 c-tiers on courses usually north of Indianapolis.

Exodus Tour- 5 unsanctioned tournaments featuring the top private courses in northern part of Indiana.

Pretty full plate if you play them all. Throw in ice bowls, ace races and others. you'll end up playing 30-35 a year.

Last edited:
I like hearing that there are so many series that are for charity! Do those usually get high participation? Here in CO, the Winter Warriors series always gets a ton of folks.

South Carolina has a statewide points series. It is run by the independent South Carolina Disc Golf Organization. (It's easy to have a statewide series when your state is this small).

Tournaments can join in for $2 per person. Competition is in 7 divisions (the most populous ones), with players winning points by their finish. There are 24 events that are part of the series this year, and your Top 12 points totals count.

They award prizes to the top 3 in each division; winner gets a basket and a nice trophy (I think with names of previous winners). And a state title, more prestigious than any of our individual tournaments that proclaim themselves some sort of championship.

I also know my home state of Montana runs a statewide series of sanctioned tourneys. I've played in a few when I'm back there, but because Montana is so huge only the really dedicated players manage to hit all the MPS events. There is really no structure between them, other than points count towards a championship at the end of the season.

North Carolina has a points series that has been going on as long as I have been playing. I won the advanced portion in 1994. John Biscoe in all of his evilness created the ODDS(Old Dominion Disc Series) in Va in the late 90's and it has become my burden. My life has revolved around it and I currently hold the record as the only life form in the known universe to participate in every event. Please make it end.

Latest posts