• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

**Pole Saws!**

Fatbackbob

Birdie Member
I am helping to clean out some fairways for a new course and so far my help has been on the ground with a weedeater.

On more than a few holes, we have some high limbs that need to be removed to open up the fairways, but I have never used a pole saw.

What is a good pole saw that is affordable?

Some limbs are 25-30' off the ground. How do I attack those?

Hole #8 from our new course in West Tennessee shown below. Beautiful hole and the hanging vine is gonna stay. We need to open up the routes above and below the vine. This is a problem on half the wooded holes...

Thanks for any help ...

0d168040.jpg

ladder and pole saw can get the ones 25-30 feet depending on your ladder,

Depends on what your looking for, you can get a pull string set of loppers if the branches are thin for pretty cheap. Otherwise you could be looking at 40-100 bucks depending on quality of the saw, if it has different attachments, best bet is just to go to your local store that would carry this kind of equipment and look

Although your content on leaving the vines, I warn against doing so. They are a quite invasive species and over time will damage the trees they climb and have the potential to outright kill them. Think of the long term health of the flora and the course.

Thanks Brad! I have been reading about that one online and considered getting it... The problem right now is the $200 pricetag.

I wonder how good this one would work in its place (for $140 less):

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-20-18-Commercial-Pole-Saw/dp/B000XTMFOC/ref=dp_cp_ob_ol_title_1

I have one of these. Recently used it at a local course to help get it off the ground, worth every penny!

http://www.amazon.com/Silky-179-39-Telescoping-Landscaping-HAYAUCHI/dp/B0014CC4WK

Thanks Brad! I have been reading about that one online and considered getting it... The problem right now is the $200 pricetag.

I wonder how good this one would work in its place (for $140 less):

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-20-18-Commercial-Pole-Saw/dp/B000XTMFOC/ref=dp_cp_ob_ol_title_1

Looks like it should do the job.

The biggest thing I liked about the one I linked, is the profile of the blade.

31YKGte8c-L._SS400_.jpg

vs.

21d6jhJ5YFL._SS500_.jpg

See how the top one has a curve on the tip of the blade, and a hilt-looking thing at the base of the blade?

The hilt-part is actually beveled on the end. That, combined with the hook-tip means once you get on the branch, you can pull down very hard and push up very hard, and the hook and hilt part stop the blade from coming off the branch. A nice side effect is the hilt part scores the underside of the branch, and makes it snap off cleaner.

With the standard blade, like the bottom picture, you need to physically stop the blade and reverse the stroke before it comes off the branch.

Is that worth $140? That's up to the one opening their wallet ;) I would think not, but if you could find a used one...

Although your content on leaving the vines, I warn against doing so. They are a quite invasive species and over time will damage the trees they climb and have the potential to outright kill them. Think of the long term health of the flora and the course.

I am not an expert on this subject, so I only restating what our local park and rec environmental representative told me. During a walkthrough, he asked me to keep as many of the wild grapevine (muscadine) as I could. I am not sure if they are indigenous or invasive, but I think they are indigenous. His point was that the wild grapevine, which is what seems to be in the picture, provides food for the critters. He would agree that honeysuckle and wisteria and kudzu and poison ivy are fair game and they should be eliminated for the health of the woods.

I am helping to clean out some fairways for a new course and so far my help has been on the ground with a weedeater.

On more than a few holes, we have some high limbs that need to be removed to open up the fairways, but I have never used a pole saw.

What is a good pole saw that is affordable?

Some limbs are 25-30' off the ground. How do I attack those?

Hole #8 from our new course in West Tennessee shown below. Beautiful hole and the hanging vine is gonna stay. We need to open up the routes above and below the vine. This is a problem on half the wooded holes...

Thanks for any help ...

0d168040.jpg

I know the vines look cool but in a short time those trees that make up your spectacular fairway and add challenge will fall due to vine strangulation......my .02 cents. Ive seen vines take down trees in a relatively short time.......your course is better off preserving trees for a lifetime than preserving a vine that will only kill the tree making fairways.....If you insist on the vine as an obstacle snip it at the base and let it hang for a few years in all it's dead glory rather than living and killing your trees in a few yrs.

I know the vines look cool but in a short time those trees that make up your spectacular fairway and add challenge will fall due to vine strangulation......my .02 cents. Ive seen vines take down trees in a relatively short time.......your course is better off preserving trees for a lifetime than preserving a vine that will only kill the tree making fairways.....If you insist on the vine as an obstacle snip it at the base and let it hang for a few years in all it's dead glory rather than living and killing your trees in a few yrs.

This

Latest posts