• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll....OAT/Smooth release

Do you OAT?

• I never OAT I am a machine a flat release everytime

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I always OAT and don't care about disc golf know it alls

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I can throw flat I OAT but I call it line shaping and mean to do it

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I am struggling with OAT issues myself

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • I have no idea what the hell you are talking about

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • I throw 500 ft Elf Balls!

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
RHBH here. OK this is bothering me a lot lately.....I know that OAT is supposedly bad and is a detriment to your game. Ive been trying to rectify it..but have noticed when playing elevation and tighter courses that require line shaping that a smooth release is just a waste. I know I tend to Anny everything and have been trying to release smooth and flat but then for some reason I end up hyzering the **** out of everything. It's like this window of smooth release is around the 1% of releae angles and the payoff is not worth the damage to my scores and the frustration. I know my arm is probably around speed 9-10 but have been able to throw a wraith/destroyer to good effect with a slight OAT and on a windy day I even blasphemously use a star max or a boss with positive results. I watch the pros I play with and I swear I notice a little OAT at times with these guys and the faster discs. I tend to get maximum snap when I release an anhyzer and my flatter release is a weak sister. I don't think I OAT out of need to cheat the disc it's more that I get the snap when I really roll out the full snap. Be honest does anyone ever really throw flat all the time...seems ludicrous!

for the record my OAT is dramatic like some Noobs I see out there...where they r throwing a tee rex for a big flex shot that goes 230 ft.....mine is more subtle and I only really notice it when I throw something understable into a roller or I turn/flip a disc over.....maybe my arm speed is increasing and I'm mistaking it for OAT! hmmmm?

for the record my OAT is dramatic like some Noobs I see out there...where they r throwing a tee rex for a big flex shot that goes 230 ft.....mine is more subtle and I only really notice it when I throw something understable into a roller or I turn/flip a disc over.....maybe my arm speed is increasing and I'm mistaking it for OAT! hmmmm?

not I meant NOT dramatic like a noob...lol

Try getting some understable discs. Practice a hyzer release to flip up straight.

Try getting some understable discs. Practice a hyzer release to flip up straight.

Done this with a few real flippy discs but have not practiced it too much.....very unpredictable sometimes it fully turns over and never comes back and sometimes it remains hyzer and occasionally I get the full spectrum of disc flights......probably a little bit of the disc and then thrower error but a good way to see if its arm speed vs throwing technique..thanks

I've just recently gotten rid of OAT, or at least a noticable amount of it. I used to flip my Wizard over quite a bit with anything over 200', now I'm getting 200' straight shots or even hyzers out of it. It's awesome :)

Sometimes I want to cry because of what OAT has done to my drives with mids. Ive been getting better throwing distance drives nice and smooth but now I cant throw my roc to save my life.

Sometimes I want to cry because of what OAT has done to my drives with mids. Ive been getting better throwing distance drives nice and smooth but now I cant throw my roc to save my life.

Ive had the same issue but I learned to approach my mid range game completely different than tee offs. On these I focus on the basket for the entire wind up and don't turn my head away.. dont run up....am not afraid to line shape or OAT. Im primarily concerned with OAT on my MMR during tee off routines.

I've never noticed an OAT problem with my BH, but I'm pretty sure I have a huge OAT problem with my forehand. I only use my FH to throw for distance on open holes because I don't have a lot of control with it, but it definetly has a good 50 feet on my BH.

I started out using teebirds and did fine with those until I started using a destroyer, now I tend to turn my teebird over. I've even started turning over my destroyer over into a roller. I don't want to move up to faster disc b/c I'm only throwing my destroyer MAYBE 340 when I'm lucky and To do that I have to throw it way out right so it has time to turn left for a while before it fades back a little and hits the ground.

If I slow myself down, I can throw my teebird and other discs FH but they don't get the same distance and I don't have a lot of time to put into fixing it at the moment. Dumb college always getting in the way of my disc golf.

OAT is a great way to shape lines when done intentionally. It's only really an issue if it's unintentional because you're robbing yourself of the control you can get by utalizing it. That being said, even throwing all of your throws with intentional OAT might be a bad idea because it's harder on your body. Why do that to force over a Destroyer when a clean throw with a slower disc will get you the same results? The slower discs are easier to control with OAT as well.

OAT is a distance stealer, which is why most people, like myself, want to rid thenselves of it. that being said, I throw 500 ft elf balls, so I don't know how much I can help you. :D

I typically drive dead straight. You could cut sheet metal with the line, that's how straight it is.

OTOH, when I need a hyzer shot or an annie, I can do that too.

"S" shots are more of a problem, since my discs tend to stay on the line I put them on.

Now if only I could break 275 ...

I occasionally throw with some OAT, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem.
When it happens, I make a mental note and try to throw more smoothly next time.

Latest posts