• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll - Your Response to Wind

Thinking of going to the course, but there's wind. What do you do?

• Total voters
If I couldn't play in the wind, I'd have to move out of Iowa. Wind always blows here.

I'll play in heavy wind depending on the situation, like if it's already made plans, or other planned stuff.

If I'm sitting at home and look out the window and trees are falling over, I'll probably stay home.

When I do play in high wind, I always hear circus music in my head - it's just too funny what happens with some of our shots. I just have to go with the flow and try to enjoy the humor of it. No way I'm getting par, but I try to just enjoy the experience.

I'll play in heavy wind depending on the situation, like if it's already made plans, or other planned stuff.

If I'm sitting at home and look out the window and trees are falling over, I'll probably stay home.

Pretty much this. It's not fun playing by yourself when the conditions suck. So if it's too cold, too rainy, or too windy, I have no problem staying home.

I recently realized I have a formula for wind AND cold. If the mph forecast is higher than the temperature, discing can get to be a little unpleasant. This morning, 8 degrees, winds at 11. Stayed home.

Played an ice bowl a year or so ago in calf high snow and winds gusting over 45mph. About the time my card mates congratulated me for smart play, laying up from 25 feet out to take a five on a possible deuce hole, I wondered, 'why am I here?'

Likewise, a nice day in June with hurricane force winds at 73 mph will probably keep me home, as well. ;)

Last edited:
I got in the habit of not playing on windy days. Then I entered a tournament and the wind was blowing 25-35 mph. I completely fell apart and decided that I'd better figure it out. I've been playing wind or calm since and have played quite a few local minis in the wind. I am entered in two more tournaments (March, Central Texas) and I feel that I'm ready to deal with the likelihood that we'll be playing in strong winds.

One time, all the people I was playing with got pissed at each other and we went our separate ways. Evidently my ride thought I would come back to the car when the tornado sirens went off. Sissy.

There are two holes in particular on our local course (1 and 18) where you'd better have some idea how to throw in a prevailing wind or your disc is likely to fly off across the road running along side and into a little water hazard called the Columbia River. I'm not saying I'm good at throwing in wind, just that I know the risks. I try heavier and overstable, but it only helps so much. Lighter and understable and the river is going to eat another disc, possibly two.

Last year I dreaded it and hated watching my disc sail away like a loose kite and landing who knows where. Now with another year of experience I've learned a lot. Throw into the wind with OS discs, don't show the wind the bottom of the disc, and don't try to muscle against it. We are having a lot of 15 - 25 mph wind days lately and I'm out on the practice field or on the course every day.

I always wonder where some of these people play where there is never any wind. A calm day is a rarity for most of the year it seems.

Wind only affects decisions I make on the course. Never a factor in my decision to get to the course.
On the other hand, rain will keep me off the course.

I don't like playing in wind. And I don't feel it's a learning experience all the time either, it can be very random. It's kinda dis-heartebing when a good shot catches and air bounce or errant current and does normally what it would never do. Putting sucks too, but it is good to know how to putt with a headwind and tailwind. But I don't like it...

I came from a windy valley and I just all around don't like anything about wind.

Now, I'll play in it, and mild to moderate wind is ok. But I don't like heavy winds.

Wind only affects decisions I make on the course. Never a factor in my decision to get to the course.

I'd rather play in rain. I think the rain can be fun, but I have some pretty good gear that makes it no big deal.

I lied in the poll, I can't actually play in a hurricane. But yeah, wind is whatever.

I'd rather play in rain. I think the rain can be fun, but I have some pretty good gear that makes it no big deal.

I don't mind wet discs or soggy clothing, it's the poor footing that kills rain rounds for me. SO. FRUSTRATING.

I don't mind wet discs or soggy clothing, it's the poor footing that kills rain rounds for me. SO. FRUSTRATING.

I'm at that age where a twinge in my knee has me taking the elevator instead of the stairs at work so I feel okay with playing disc golf on the weekend. A slippery tee pad and a run-up could definitely spell an end to my game, and I won't let that happen if I can prevent it. But then I'm currently trying to maximize my drive when throwing from a stand still. Still some risk of slippage, but not as much as with a run up or x-step.

Last weekend I got invited to play an amazing private course called Deer Mnt. It plays a top and across the foothills above Golden, CO.

Wind was in effect to the tune of a steady 20-25, gusts to 40mph.

I watched in complete amazement as my buddy Ian piped a monster FH 300' into a headwind on a downhill shot for an ace.

A couple holes later I watched the most OS disc I've ever thrown get turned like a beat roadrunner and head right for 50' before a crazy cross wind hoisted it and drove it 100' left along a ridge dubbed "Razors Edge". Made my putt from 25' for a birdie.

Beyond some great highlights, there were some rough spots. "I'm done with this one..." after my drive.

Let's get the facts straight:

-DG like all other outdoor sports is limited to weather conditions. If it is crazy windy stay put.
Period. You don't go out risking limbs falling on your car or you!

-If it is moderately windy and no serious danger of trees breaking limbs than I'm all over it.

Learning to play in windy conditions (not extreme wind) is one of the joys of golf. Wind is our biggest hurdle unlike ball golf.

Last edited: