• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll - Your Response to Wind

Thinking of going to the course, but there's wind. What do you do?

• Total voters
Wind is my least favorite weather condition, disc golf or no disc golf. I get terribly chapped and b/c I'm allergic to everything, I feel like crap for a week or more if I'm out in the wind a lot. I don't mind playing in it but it sucks a lot of fun out of my round when I'm throwing my Banshee repeatedly (and can't even FH roll it). It's just the aftermath that kills me.

Wind is my least favorite weather condition, disc golf or no disc golf. I get terribly chapped and b/c I'm allergic to everything, I feel like crap for a week or more if I'm out in the wind a lot. I don't mind playing in it but it sucks a lot of fun out of my round when I'm throwing my Banshee repeatedly (and can't even FH roll it). It's just the aftermath that kills me.

You would not like Aruba, it's windy 24/7/365.

The big thing is what do you mean by windy? Some folks think its windy at 10 mph.....others not until the trees are coming down. Generally in the summer as long as its safe no amount of wind will stop me. In the winter....wind + cold and I'm much less likely to head out for a casual round.

I LOVE it when the wind is up during tourneys as my home course gets a lot of funky winds (it is named shore winds) so I get more practice than usual around here and it really messes with those who don't stick it out when the wind is up.

Besides, you sometimes get some hilarious results in the wind that make the whole rest of the round worth it. My favorite was a random draw doubles where my 990 rated partner (I won the draw that day) threw a midrange shot into a 25 mph steady headwind that gusted to 40+. I watched his wasp stand up from a steep hyzer and after going out ~200' flatten out, turn around, and land over 100' behind us. The look on his face and the laughs from the rest of us were worth the price of admission that day. You don't get that stuff if you skip out on the windy day rounds.

To each their own, I suppose. I have always enjoyed the wind, as it presents a myriad of possibilities for atypical results. At a regional tournament this past saturday, we had temps in the 20s and winds holding constant in the 25 mph hour range. One of the Advanced players deuced a 1032' hole. Now he threw it in from way out, 400' estimated by his cardmates, but that isn't going to happen without the tailwind, form, and admittedly, a good bit of luck. As far as I know, you can only practice one of those. Get out and throw, and let it be fun! You can't get pissed because the disc didn't do what you expected, just smile, pay attention, and learn what you can. This is a game, and forgetting that leads to players (myself included) getting burnt out.
KP

Being in phoenix, we always have this steady light 5-10 mph wind that blows, but isnt too terrible. if you turn something over, you better be throwing an over stable disc, or it isnt coming back. when the occasional windy day(15-25) or storm comes along, i just throw a few more overstable discs in the bag to fight the wind. im not going out if the wind is over 30-35 mph. i can throw in those conditions, but it isnt fun, and i could be better suited staying at home putting and learning the wind where my mental energy isnt wasted. Instead of throwing a round where i score low and mentally overexert myself. now if its windy on a league night, i still may go. its fun to see what people shots do in the wind like people said above.

Last edited:
Had a good learning experience playing in 30-40mph winds a few weeks ago. Threw a whopping 70ft drive with a PD that I got a little nose up, just lifted up and came back at me! Had a 4 putt from the circles edge and learned that playing for the bogie would have been the smarter play. Pretty wide open course and actually, bogie golf would have been good golf that day. Still fun though and can't wait for another windy day like that for a rematch as I was thoroughly trounced.

In general I am pretty busy. I don't get to play too much. Due to that fact, I will play in a lot of weather because it is either that or don't play for a couple of weeks.

I dont prefer playing in the wind, but since disc golf is played outside, 75 percent of the time its windy. Won my first A tier tourney in the rec div playing with high winds, 20 - 25mph. Decided to throw all overstable discs all day, while others tried to play the wind and flip their discs. Was throwing noob hyzers all day, but it worked lol

I've played in the wind a fair amount and it can be fun once you know how to play it. (The learning curve is painful, though!) High winds are pretty common on our local course and it's really cool to see some of the "wind lines" that people have discovered over the years.

The technical adjustments to make your throws work in the wind are pretty straightforward: OS into a headwind, US with a tailwind, and don't let the bottom of your disc see any wind (unless you want your throw to get a huge boost in the direction of the wind, which can be helpful in some cases).

IMO, the more nuanced adjustments are mental in nature, because wind can really change a lot of risk/reward dynamics. I've definitely laid up from 40' with an upside-down FB to take a safe bogey--and seen others on my card run for it and end up with triple bogeys. Resetting expectations is key to playing your "best" in the wind.

So, in conclusion, what I think we all already knew holds true:

1. You've got to allow for unexpected results if you're going to play in the wind.
2. If you're just out for fun and the variable of too much wind ruins your enjoyment, don't bother.
3. If you're serious about improving your overall game, playing tournaments and being able to play in any conditions, you'd best learn to deal with the wind.

I like windy days because it gives me a chance to beat players who are much better than me in calm conditions who don't have any wind skills.

Perfect example happened earlier today. 18 mph winds gusting to 25. Facing into a headwind on the first tee so I grabbed my heaviest, most overstable disc and threw it low on a hyzer. Didn't make any difference - wind picked it up, flipped it over right and it became a roller. More of a 'sailboat' really as the wind made it hop and accelerate towards the OB road with the river on the other side. Fortunately it snagged in some sagebrush or it could have been a goner. And that was just my first throw. I've no doubt better players could have done better. For me, a wind that can do that makes each throw less about being excited about the possibilities, and more about wondering how many discs I'm going to lose.

I voted that its an opportunity to learn to play it better, but "bring it on" may have been a better choice for me. I am not 100% confident in the wind, but do LOVE throwing in it. There are things you cannot make a disc do without the wind, and thats fun. I like throwing all kinds of trick lines in the wind.

Perfect example happened earlier today. 18 mph winds gusting to 25. Facing into a headwind on the first tee so I grabbed my heaviest, most overstable disc and threw it low on a hyzer. Didn't make any difference - wind picked it up, flipped it over right and it became a roller. More of a 'sailboat' really as the wind made it hop and accelerate towards the OB road with the river on the other side. Fortunately it snagged in some sagebrush or it could have been a goner. And that was just my first throw. I've no doubt better players could have done better. For me, a wind that can do that makes each throw less about being excited about the possibilities, and more about wondering how many discs I'm going to lose.

I will say that I hate when that happens. However, after it happened enough times early in my career, I studied the finer points of both learning what stability is and what it isn't (you'd be surprised how many people don't), and also how to throw with better form. Up until OS plastic became commonplace what -- 10 years ago -- (and super OS stuff maybe 6 years ago), players had to throw into the wind without it. And there's vid of great disc golfers throwing lids into the wind without flipping them over, much less their Eagles, Skeeters, and Leopards. Part of that is the weather and part of that is on me.

The OP may find this read helpful...

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

This is the second time I've seen someone post this article within the past few months.
I've read it, but it just doesn't jibe with me for some reason, most likely because I'm a sidearmer. Someone will say, "just turn it upside down, it's just the same." No, no it isn't.
I'll read it again, but...

As to the poll, I have been learning to deal with the wind. Not much choice if you want to play DG in the mitten state, especially on the west shore. The wind off Lake Michigan can be absolutely brutal some days.

Latest posts