• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portage Lakes State Park — Akron, OH

I wasn't able to make it, but they just had a meeting on this course (I am on the email list with the group organizing it). Just got an email update, here is the meat of it:

I'd like to thank everyone that came to the meeting Thursday. Its a great start to the PLDGA.

I appreciate everyones efforts and I am confident we will be seeing baskets in the ground this season. A special thank you to Jerry Davis for the $20 contribution. For those of you who do not know Jerry, he is a park regular who does not disc golf. He knows the park better than anyone and we are delighted to have him on our team. Jerry has also indicated that he could help with construction of the tee signs with the 4x4s. Too cool.

Another big thank you to Dan Kilgore, who has stepped up to entirely sponsor hole #10 after we get the first nine committed.

And a special big thank you to Mark Kratzer, owner of the Quanset Hut, who has not only stepped up to sponsor 2 holes, but also has indicated getting us over the hump with another one if necessary. But, we here on the PLDGA are going to fill up the sponsor slots so fast that Mark won't have to do so. Right on? Right on!

Thanks to Lynn and Lew Stamp for attending, and for pointing us in the right directions.

And certainly a huge thank you to Mike Gamble and Derek House from mikonmedia.com for doing the portagelakesdiscgolf.com / www.pldga.com web site. This is huge for PLDGA and making us successful. THANK YOU! This site will be up and running sometime soon.

Make sure and indicate to potential sponsors that we have a website, their name/link will be on it.

No indication of the next meeting, but the more people we can get to help and to sponsor holes, the better. I plan on attending the next meeting if possible and will see if I can find out more details then.

I think you are mistaken ... that clock you are hearing is the one counting down how long before you get banned again.

roflcopter

Banned for what? Telling the truth? I've already been proven correct.

Where's the course. Not a blade of grass has been moved. At this rate you should have a nice new disc golf course by about 2035.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

No ... for only being on here to taunt.

Unless you're twelve you really should have something better to do with your time.

troll3.jpg

I have an old friend I used to go fishing with up on Portage Lake all the time and he lives nearby. he is the one that got me into disc golf but I havent talked to him for quite a while.

I'll have to give him a call. He would probably jump at the chance to help get this thing off the ground.

I got an email update from the guy organizing the new course, and sounded like they were starting the cleanup of the park area this past weekend (9/19/2009). Had to wait for OK from the park director. I wasn't able to make it, but assume they are underway now.

Not sure what will be done by this year, but I think they have 9 holes ready to go at least.

I just got this email from the guy organizing the Portage Lakes course:

Bill Griffith headed up a small meeting at the course. We can now proceed with clearing on holes #1 and #2. I have attached a map of the course. The numbers that are circled in black are now the correct holes. You can clear with pruners, rakes, axes, etc. No chain saws. Anything smaller than 2" can come down. There is strength in numbers, so lets enlist everyone we can to help. You can do this at your convenience.

Any questions you can call or email me [PM me for phone/email info]. As we proceed, the fairways will become more evident.

Bill also put up a map next to the parking lot near hole #1 along with instructions.

Also, we now have 18 holes sponsored. Gardner Pie came on board today. Go there, buy a pie and tell them who you represent.

We need one more for a practice basket.

Thanks to everyone.

Sounds like you can head out there and lend a hand whenever you have time. Going to try and head out this weekend with a few friends if I can.

portage-lakes-disc-golf-course-02.jpg

Disc Golf For ALL!

Call yourself "insane goon rules" or "reality hurts" or whatever cutesy other name you want, but the fact remains you are ignorant. Disc Golf is a great sport for anyone; cheap, relaxing and fun, Why do people get SO WORKED UP about a new disc golf course? :confused: If you don't like it, then don't play it.

This person is just trying to make people mad, or maybe his father used to punish him by chucking discs at him, making him predisposed to hate flying discs.;)

Baskets are in hand and cleanup is already underway. I haven't been out to help due to conflicting schedules, but I am on the mailing list. Probably not going to be ready this season, but it's a reality now :)

I hear a lot of good discussion but as usual not to many volenteers. I know because my friend Fleetwood and I spent 4 <beautiful Sundays, when I could of been playing or doing house work> weeks with a toal of 38 man hours cleaning up and shaping hole # 9. not all nine holes but just hole # 9. there is still plenty to do on just hole # 9. but Fleetwood and I have moved on to the next hole. If you want this course to be up and playable by springtime you live in a fantasy land. I don't see it happening with the amount of volenteers that we're getting each week. I DO thank the people that are helping, but I know there's a lot more DGer's out there that live close by that could be helping out. I wasn't there last Sunday as my friend had other plans, but I would bet that all the downed debris in the middle of the 700 foot fairway on # 9 could be picked up and distributed to the far edges of the fairway. If your unsure of what to cut down, don't cut it down. As once it's down it's down for good, thus the reason why all the big trees left on # 9. once the debris is cleared away we can take the next step. But we need more than a couple people out there. The Browns aren't that good to waste a day of watching, come on out an pitch in a little. It would be a big help.

Latest posts