• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland DG tourism / beaver state fling

stratedge

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hey everyone,

I'm really keen to do a trip to Portland for disc golf... been on my todo list since watching 2014 Worlds, and I've given up on trying to find a friend to go. Decided this year to plan something and do it solo, and I would appreciate some advice from any locals on a few things...

I think it makes sense to base a trip around a tournament, traveling solo it would make it easier to get some company during rounds, but I'm worried that planning a trip around the big 2 (Portland Open and Beaver State Fling) is risky because I might not be able to get registered. Looks like they use a lottery system... what kind of odds were there to get into MPM last year, does anyone know? It's kind of hard to plan a trip around this system, if I wait to buy a plane ticket until the registration is complete, I'd end up paying much more.

On the other hand, I've been thinking it might be smarter to just try to hit up a B/C tier local tourney where registration is not a concern. I'd miss all the tour hoopla, but it might be nice to have everything more laid back. But on that front, can anyone make any recommendations for the next best experience on a premiere course? I can see a few Oregon tournaments on the PDGA.com right now, but nothing jumps out (throw pink at Estacada looks like it was an am only event based on last year). I'm thinking there's got to be more that's just not registered with the PDGA yet?

Thanks in advance. Any other advice about a trip there is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm really keen to do a trip to Portland for disc golf... been on my todo list since watching 2014 Worlds, and I've given up on trying to find a friend to go. Decided this year to plan something and do it solo, and I would appreciate some advice from any locals on a few things...

I think it makes sense to base a trip around a tournament, traveling solo it would make it easier to get some company during rounds, but I'm worried that planning a trip around the big 2 (Portland Open and Beaver State Fling) is risky because I might not be able to get registered. Looks like they use a lottery system... what kind of odds were there to get into MPM last year, does anyone know? It's kind of hard to plan a trip around this system, if I wait to buy a plane ticket until the registration is complete, I'd end up paying much more.

On the other hand, I've been thinking it might be smarter to just try to hit up a B/C tier local tourney where registration is not a concern. I'd miss all the tour hoopla, but it might be nice to have everything more laid back. But on that front, can anyone make any recommendations for the next best experience on a premiere course? I can see a few Oregon tournaments on the PDGA.com right now, but nothing jumps out (throw pink at Estacada looks like it was an am only event based on last year). I'm thinking there's got to be more that's just not registered with the PDGA yet?

Thanks in advance. Any other advice about a trip there is appreciated!

For the BSF, for the Pro divisions, it's ratings-based windows for registration. If your rating is 985 or above, you're essentially guaranteed a spot. Below 985, it looks like for MPM last year out of the 32 total spots 22 spots went to first-come-first-serve. Registration is quite a lot in advance of the actual event, though, so you'd probably know early-enough as to whether you got in or not?

I'd highly recommend showing up to watch the Beaver State Fling. Enjoy yourself and hopefully the weather during the tournament, and afterwards play the course while it's still in the BSF layout. It's a semi-rare treat to get to play the special holes like Genius, and it can be an exciting/humiliating or let's just say an eye opening experience to directly compare your shots to the pro's.

Here's one in late March I just noticed, but that may be too soon for you.(It's a facebook link, sorry)
https://www.facebook.com/events/557...chanism\":\"main_list\",\"extra_data\":[]}]"}

I think I could pull this off, and I really like the idea, but one thing that has me hesitant: isn't March a major rainy season in Oregon? Looking at temperatures it's also not that warm.

I'd really like to bide my time and hit something up further in the summer, but I just need their longer term calendar so I can start. May or June.

I think I could pull this off, and I really like the idea, but one thing that has me hesitant: isn't March a major rainy season in Oregon? Looking at temperatures it's also not that warm.

I'd really like to bide my time and hit something up further in the summer, but I just need their longer term calendar so I can start. May or June.

TBH, you never know what you're going to get in March. I live out here and I would say that roughly it might rain 3 out of 7 days/week on average. You can be dry for a week or wet for a week straight. I don't know where you live, but the winters here are not really cold, usually mid 40's through-out the winter during the day, mid 30's at night, give or take 7 or 8 degrees.

That said, weather is great in the summer. After 3rd week in June you're completely safe until late Sept. May or June is good, it's the tail end of the rainy season.

Are you going to have a rental car? How long will your trip be? A trip to spectate the BSF and play a bunch of courses would be fun, and if you have a car and several days you can play all the best Willamette Valley courses and probably Whistler's Bend too.

If you really want to play a tournament, the definitve Oregon PDGA event list is here: https://www.facebook.com/PDGA.Oregon/
Updated by the stated coordinator. As stated above, if you want the best chance of good weather, come after mid-June.

Are you going to have a rental car? How long will your trip be? A trip to spectate the BSF and play a bunch of courses would be fun, and if you have a car and several days you can play all the best Willamette Valley courses and probably Whistler's Bend too.

If you really want to play a tournament, the definitve Oregon PDGA event list is here: https://www.facebook.com/PDGA.Oregon/
Updated by the stated coordinator. As stated above, if you want the best chance of good weather, come after mid-June.

I'll have a rental car. I'm in Calgary, 13 hour drive... debating just driving myself since the rental car is so expensive (insurance)... but I think that's too much driving for a solo trip. Can't make up my mind on that. I'll commit after I've played a couple tournaments on the road closer to home this year, and see how I feel about it.

Thanks a lot for that link, that is very very useful. That will make planning much easier.

I'll have a rental car. I'm in Calgary, 13 hour drive... debating just driving myself since the rental car is so expensive (insurance)... but I think that's too much driving for a solo trip. Can't make up my mind on that. I'll commit after I've played a couple tournaments on the road closer to home this year, and see how I feel about it.

Thanks a lot for that link, that is very very useful. That will make planning much easier.

Feel free to hit me up for the skinny on any tournaments.

Most tournaments are posted on 4discgolf.com in the PNW. I used to live up there until recently. The tournaments fill up in minutes so you better be quick on the registration.

Latest posts