• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland, Oregan can't miss courses?

Grayson

Bogey Member
... any suggestions on can't miss courses? Plus, reasons why? Driving up from Mississippi and flying back in a couple of week. Thanks in advance. :)

The only one I've played is Pier Park, and I can tell you it's worth the time. Very cool setting, good use of elevation, throwing among redwoods. Very fun course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milo McGiver and Pier Park. I really enjoyed playing Dabney State Park as well.

If I was out there visiting by myself, I'd make sure to do a swing through Dabney, Timber, and Milo. Then I might do the same thing the next day, and the next.... I miss having courses like those to play. Big trees and soft fairways are nice.

Milo, Pier, Blue lake, Buxton woods, Trojan, McCormick park, Horning's Hideout. In the Portland area.

Adair, wheatland. And Mt Bachelor too.

In no particular order.

Pier, Hornings, Milo, Blue Lake are all amazing courses. They are all longer pro level type courses, and that is reflected in design and land.

I personally had a great love for Dabney as well, it's a shorter kind of funky course with beautiful scenery and a fun, retro feel.

The only one I've played is Pier Park, and I can tell you it's worth the time. Very cool setting, good use of elevation, throwing among redwoods. Very fun course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very beautiful park I agree. Pretty sure it's just sequoia and Douglas firs that fill most of that park though.

Very beautiful park I agree. Pretty sure it's just sequoia and Douglas firs that fill most of that park though.

There's a few...
picture.php

-Pier Park - must play
-Milo McIver - one of the top courses in the country - beautiful, but not recommended if you cannot throw over 300ft.
-Dabney - fun course
-Horning's - 3 courses of varying difficulty - pick your level
-Timber - 10 minutes from Milo - super fun course in a city park
-Champoeg - nice course through a grove of oak trees

In Portland, well then there is only one course worth visiting in that City and its Pier Park! Why, first off its fair and challenging but not long per say. It has tight wooded lines, elevation drops, blind shots, plenty of shade, fair lines, easy to follow, good use of area and solid teepads. Its not a bomber course with open holes, its a course that can allow you to throw any shot in your bag. lefty or righty, friendly to both. Clean park.

Now if your willing to travel outside Portland but not to far I would recommend these courses:

to the West:

Buxton Woods : private property with cool pro shop and family running it and a sweet course. Great use of propert with ponds, streams, low ceiling tunnel shots, par3,4's, and elevation.

Hornings Hideout : destination property with three courses that will test you as the hardest you might ever play to and easy pitch n putt with a solid middle course. elevation, trees, fishing, pro shop, and music events with camping has this place as a must experience on weekends.

LL Stubs : state park with camping area, course is well designed and manicured. Longer technical course under tree canopy the entire time. well marked and easy to play.Tough course though

To the East:

Blue Lake : Long course, well marked fairways. Best viewed in the 2014 worlds final round

Dabney State Park: old school course feeling when discs couldn't go as far and more birdies were optainable. elevation, trees, water, good layout in a state park

To the South East:

Riverbend aka Milo: Long course at times with beautiful gree nfairways, pines, elevation, par 3-4's, blind shots, use of all shots. I found it to be long at times and constantly throwing big shots which Im not a fan of. I prefer shorter courses or technical. This course is long and technical

Timber: 15 minutes from Milo is shorter but good and fun with a good mix. Solid layout, easy to follow, good equipment, good place to warm up before you head to Milo.

all courses are within an hour of Portland in Oregon. Ive played all of these courses and I liked these three the best: Pier park, Buxton Woods, and Dabney.

If you drink Beer I recommend these three Breweries In Portland:

Great Notion
Breakside
Deschutes

In Portland, well then there is only one course worth visiting in that City and its Pier Park! Why, first off its fair and challenging but not long per say. It has tight wooded lines, elevation drops, blind shots, plenty of shade, fair lines, easy to follow, good use of area and solid teepads. Its not a bomber course with open holes, its a course that can allow you to throw any shot in your bag. lefty or righty, friendly to both. Clean park.

Now if your willing to travel outside Portland but not to far I would recommend these courses:

to the West:

Buxton Woods : private property with cool pro shop and family running it and a sweet course. Great use of propert with ponds, streams, low ceiling tunnel shots, par3,4's, and elevation.

Hornings Hideout : destination property with three courses that will test you as the hardest you might ever play to and easy pitch n putt with a solid middle course. elevation, trees, fishing, pro shop, and music events with camping has this place as a must experience on weekends.

LL Stubs : state park with camping area, course is well designed and manicured. Longer technical course under tree canopy the entire time. well marked and easy to play.Tough course though

To the East:

Blue Lake : Long course, well marked fairways. Best viewed in the 2014 worlds final round

Dabney State Park: old school course feeling when discs couldn't go as far and more birdies were optainable. elevation, trees, water, good layout in a state park

To the South East:

Riverbend aka Milo: Long course at times with beautiful gree nfairways, pines, elevation, par 3-4's, blind shots, use of all shots. I found it to be long at times and constantly throwing big shots which Im not a fan of. I prefer shorter courses or technical. This course is long and technical

Timber: 15 minutes from Milo is shorter but good and fun with a good mix. Solid layout, easy to follow, good equipment, good place to warm up before you head to Milo.

all courses are within an hour of Portland in Oregon. Ive played all of these courses and I liked these three the best: Pier park, Buxton Woods, and Dabney.

If you drink Beer I recommend these three Breweries In Portland:

Great Notion
Breakside
Deschutes
Nailed it on courses and breweries for the most part. Make sure you hit Upright for beer. If you can find it...

Lion nailed it mostly, which way are you driving in from? There are courses like Whistlers Bend that is a must play if you are driving in on the 5.

If you end up playing Pier stop for a beer at Lombard House/Rock and Roo/Hoplandia, grab a taco at Taqueria Santa Cruz, if you like german lagers go grab a beer at Occidental brewing next to the park.

That is an awesome drive, have fun!

Down south, near Grant's Pass, there's a great course called Tom Pearce park. I would play it every day, if I lived down there. Amazing

There's a few...
picture.php

sequoia is redwood

Well, there is a stand of planted Giant Sequoia and one Coastal Redwood at the top of the hill behind #1's basket and behind #2's tee, all along the paved bicycle path. But they are not native to the park. There were 30 of them originally. There are now 29 -- they cut one down last year when they improved the bicycle path. http://friendsofpierpark.org/forest/giant-sequoia-sequoiadendron-giganteum/

The rest of the bigguns throughout the park are Douglas Fir. And they're pretty spectacular.

The rest has been covered. But no one has stressed enough that Milo (Riverbend) is not to be missed.

i cant believe buxton woods was not mentioned, buxton,LL. stub, and hornings hideout is a great cant miss triangle imo.

i cant believe buxton woods was not mentioned, buxton,LL. stub, and hornings hideout is a great cant miss triangle imo.

It was mentioned 3 times. Really fun course. Couple great holes. Couple really meh little messes too.